Post-Game Talk: Trade deadline talk

SFKingshomer

Aug 2, 2008
Sioux Falls
Listening to the TSN guys during this whole Luongo mess of not being traded, etc. one wonders IF the market will remain WEEK for goalies during the Draft and UFA as well ... Goalies that MIGHT LIKELY be available this summer ...

- Luongo STILL !
- does Buffalo move Miller ?
- do the Flyers buy out Ilya Bryzgalov ?
- do the Ducks try to move Jonas Hiller ?
- does Phoenix retain Mike Smith, or will he go UFA ?
- does Jonathan Bernier REALLY get much return if ALL those guys are out there too ?

And just WHO are the BUYERS ? What teams will need Goaltending ...

- Philadelphia Flyers ... don't they ALWAYS need Goaltending, or is Steve Mason the next savior/failure for them !
- Edmonton Oilers ... who knows ? obviously Khabibulin will hang 'em up one day, but WHEN ? and Devan Dubnyk ain't doing too bad, so ?
- St. Louis Blues ... with Halak & Elliott crashing so hard, do the Blues look elsewhere ?
- Tampa Bay Lightning ... have Lindback, and now Ben Bishop, so ?
- Phoenix Coyotes ... IF they let Mike Smith go to UFA, but would you ship JB to them ?
- Toronto Maple Leafs ... who knows what they're doing ? do they eventually get Luongo ?
- Buffalo Sabres ... IF they ship off Miller, maybe but they just got Matt Hackett ?
- Florida Panthers ... have Jacob Markstrom, and ?
- Calgary Flames ... with Miikka Kiprusoff calling it a career they WILL be needing ! and they have 3 1st round picks !!! :naughty:

What other team could be looking at Jonathan Bernier ? As much as BERNIE might hate the idea ... he might be with us next season as well IF Dean can't find what he wants in return ? :dunno:

St Louis has Jake Allen so they're probably not interested. I don't see a lot of takers for Bernier unless Lombardi is willing to come down on his price.

kings11

Sep 29, 2011
Las Vegas
Bernier will still be in demand, even if those guys where to be traded or amnestied they'll cost a ton both in prospects/roster players or cash and with the cap going down teams will be going for/with young affordable players with potential like bernier, and he wont command a huge salary.also if amnestied Bryz might just go to the KHL

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
I see the goalie market for Bernier as possibly including these teams.

Calgary
Phoenix (Especially if they move to Quebec)
Florida
Buffalo & New Jersey (big maybe)

That is a damn small market. Perhaps holding onto this asset, while helping the team a lot, has diluted his value.

Teams like Philadelphia, St. Louis, Toronto are more likely to go for the big fish at play.

takk

Feb 19, 2013
Warszawa
Islanders too is an option for JB as well, the folks at Islanders board are willing for JB, Poulin has a long way too go. A pick and Nabokov in return maybe, if he doesn't re-sign?

SFKingshomer

Aug 2, 2008
Sioux Falls
Bernier will still be in demand, even if those guys where to be traded or amnestied they'll cost a ton both in prospects/roster players or cash and with the cap going down teams will be going for/with young affordable players with potential like bernier, and he wont command a huge salary.also if amnestied Bryz might just go to the KHL

Maybe for a similar type deal that OTT got for Bishop. Conacher was hot to start but he's nothing more than an undersized boom or bust prospect that fell out of favor with his former AHL coach. So a mediocre prospect and a 4th? It doesn't sound too enticing.

SettlementRichie10

May 6, 2012
Mitchell sounds like a fairly big question mark, and Scuderi and Regehr are UFA's. Not really picking and choosing there.

We know what Greene is, Doughty still has some edges to smooth over, Voynov is going to get paid, and then 3 young guys who have been up and down.

It's not a bad situation by any stretch, but I'm not sure it's so good that there's nothing to worry about.

That's the point. With Scuderi and Regehr as UFAs and Mitchell's status unknown, we have options on who to resign and who to let go of - that was the point. We have the inside track on our free agents and if Lombardi has proved anything, it's that when he really wants a player he gets them.

Doughty has really blossomed this season as not only a #1 that can be relied upon defensively, but a true leader for that blueline corps. He's done wonders in that mentor ship role with Muzzin. Not sure what "rough edges" need to be smoothed over there.

KingKopitar11*

Out of all those Goalies bernier is the a number one and the most affordable. That in itself should raise his value shouldn't it?

Puck U

2012 SC CHAMPIONS !
Aug 2, 2005
Apple Valley, CA.
IF I'm Dean ... Jay Feaster is at the top of my speed dial list come Draft Day ! ;)

While it will suck playing against Bernier, it get's him closer to home, good on Dean there, it potentially MIGHT maybe get us back into the draft with one of those 1st rounders (for JB +), and hell the Flames will continue to suck for years so not like we'd face Bernie in the Playoffs anytime soon :)

Out of all those Goalies bernier is the a number one and the most affordable. That in itself should raise his value shouldn't it?

The most affordable - YES, a (true) number one - ?, unknown, he HAS Potential sure, but he is also the LEAST Proven of that bunch ... obviously other GM's around the NHL don't think he's YET worth what Lombardi's been asking for in return, or he'd be gone by now !

Last edited:

funky

Build around Byfield, not the vets
Mar 9, 2002
RIP trade deadline

Time to concentrate on inking VV. will dictate our summer

SFKingshomer

Aug 2, 2008
Sioux Falls

Not really. Most of those teams have young goalies that they're high on so if anything they trade for Bernier to push their prospect. Bernier is probably worth a 2nd round pick at draft time.

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
Bishop got Ottawa Cory Conacher. If the Kings had gotten him, is that good enough?

Varlamov was traded to Colorado before the 11-12 season for a 2012 pick. That's a team assuming it would be better with Varlamov, so they trade a future 1st round pick, because they're thinking it won't be that high.

I wouldn't expect a 2013 1st rounder for Bernier. An established LW, on a good salary? What team has that guy available for a young backup goalie?

Sometimes it seem like Bernier just happens to play the wrong position, at the wrong time. But hey, Quick keeps struggling this season, Bernier may get a chance to take the team on his back. Who knows.

SFKingshomer

Aug 2, 2008
Sioux Falls
Bishop got Ottawa Cory Conacher. If the Kings had gotten him, is that good enough?

Varlamov was traded to Colorado before the 11-12 season for a 2012 pick. That's a team assuming it would be better with Varlamov, so they trade a future 1st round pick, because they're thinking it won't be that high.

I wouldn't expect a 2013 1st rounder for Bernier. An established LW, on a good salary? What team has that guy available for a young backup goalie?

Sometimes it seem like Bernier just happens to play the wrong position, at the wrong time. But hey, Quick keeps struggling this season, Bernier may get a chance to take the team on his back. Who knows.

Like I said, Conacher started out hot but he's not really a high end prospect and likely wouldn't fit in LA. He's now on the 3rd and 4th line playing about 10 minutes a game and others have surpassed him on the depth chart. His former AHL coach prefers and trusts other rookies over him...he was very movable for the Bolts.

CNS

A World Alone
May 24, 2008
If people think Jay Feaster is smart enough to trade for Bernier, you're REALLY overestimating Feaster. He wants Ramo and Berra to be his goalies next year. His first line will probably be Baertschi-Jankowski-Gadreau. He's a ****ing dumb ass. He won't want Bernier with the goalies he's acquired. Bernier will be a Devil.

Luuuc20

Nov 23, 2008
I still can't believe how much Minnesota gave up to get Pominville.

Johan Larsson, Matt Hackett, 1st in 2013 & 2nd in 2014 :shakehead

takk

Feb 19, 2013
Warszawa
Only consolation for Minnesota would be reaching at least WCF with Pominville considering that deal. If they can't go deep this year they might regret moving that 1st.

SFKingshomer

Aug 2, 2008
Sioux Falls
I still can't believe how much Minnesota gave up to get Pominville.

Johan Larsson, Matt Hackett, 1st in 2013 & 2nd in 2014 :shakehead

If any team can afford to do that it's the Wild. They're extremely high on Granlund down the middle and Darcy Kuemper is their future in net.

Winger23

May 3, 2007
If any team can afford to do that it's the Wild. They're extremely high on Granlund down the middle and Darcy Kuemper is their future in net.

That's fine, just glad the kings did not out bid that, even if some here don't agree.

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
That's the point. With Scuderi and Regehr as UFAs and Mitchell's status unknown, we have options on who to resign and who to let go of - that was the point. We have the inside track on our free agents and if Lombardi has proved anything, it's that when he really wants a player he gets them.

An older player who hasn't played this season because of an injury, and two UFA's, it doesn't say pick and choose to me. We'll see if Scuderi's play improves with the addition of Regehr, and Greene at some point. I was all for getting him, but we'll see what Regehr has going for him.

Again, I'm not saying the Kings are in a bad situation on defense, but I also don't think they have all sorts of options.

Doughty has really blossomed this season as not only a #1 that can be relied upon defensively, but a true leader for that blueline corps. He's done wonders in that mentor ship role with Muzzin. Not sure what "rough edges" need to be smoothed over there.

Well the offense hasn't been there this season. Different role at ES and all, but he hasn't even been the 2nd option at the point on the PP for a while.

Clearly the defense is still built around him, and rightfully so. And playoff Doughty, there aren't many better defenseman.

The rough edges would be consistency. I'm not necessarily knocking him, since he's still only 23. I'm just saying I don't think he's a finished product yet.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
Look how much money the Wild put into this season, they had to go for it. I don't think they'll regret that deal at all. Just because you don't win a Cup after making a deal like that doesn't mean you regret it. They needed the boost this season and next, they are a legit team now.

I think there comes a point where you owe it to the fans to make a push. I think Dumbo up in Edmonton owed the fans that too but he traded for Smithson as a deadline day move. I have mixed feelings about DL at times but I'm glad he ain't that guy.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
While this may not have been an exciting day of activities for Kings fans, I think this off-season is going to be an exciting one in terms of movement, signings and overall changes to the roster.

I think the best bet and fit for Bernier is going to be Calgary. They're going with a youth movement while still trying to ice a competitive squad (which I never understand, if you're going to rebuild, go all in), and Bernier fits the age group that they need and can build around from the net out. They have accumulated a number of assets in terms of high draft picks and I could see Lombardi replenishing what he lost in the Carter and Regehr trades by acquiring some high picks for Bernier (maybe a roster player too).

Penner isn't going to be back, so the Kings could be looking to fill a hole on the 2nd line, or, they may give someone like Tanner Pearson a look at that spot. Voynov will be locked up, as will most of the other RFAs, and hopefully Regehr and Scuderi will also be retained at a minimum of two seasons.

Let's hope the summer activities start in late June again, just like last year.

LAKings88

Fire BLuc
Dec 4, 2006
Blackhole
I see the goalie market for Bernier as possibly including these teams.

Calgary
Phoenix (Especially if they move to Quebec)
Florida
Buffalo & New Jersey (big maybe)

That is a damn small market. Perhaps holding onto this asset, while helping the team a lot, has diluted his value.

Teams like Philadelphia, St. Louis, Toronto are more likely to go for the big fish at play.

Calgary-will have Berra and Ramo in camp most likely.

Phoenix-can't see Smith going anywhere.

Florida-Markstrom will be their guy.

Buffalo-just traded for Hackett.

New Jersey could be an option given Lou and DL's friendship and NJ's need.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad