Post-Game Talk: Trade deadline talk

etherialone

dialed in your mom
Mar 6, 2008
The Ether
With Greene and RoaR to pick up the physical aspect of our Dsquad (that I believe will have a trickle down effect on the kids) I think we are about to see a re-birth of our overall team D. Quick will have more time and gain more confidence and that sort of play is infectious.

I am not saying that RoaR is going to be Willie or even close to him. He will be at best a more physical Greener with about the same to offer in different ways.

Still, with Greener coming back and RoaR coming in Scuds will get to return to his usual role and usual minutes, Doughty will be allowed to return to looking for O more often and the kids will see less minutes while also having more veteran leadership to help them develop into the kind of players that we want them to be.

I like where we are today and am still happy that DL stood pat (standed pat? ;) ). In the end it comes down to finally being able to rely on a GM and I think allot of us who post here who have been following the team forever (and that is allot of us here) are more used to getting hosed by inept GM's with unrealistic owners then we are to being able to rely on one.

DL not only lead us to a cup but he has also built an incredible team from prospects to players, if he likes where we are then I am good with it. I mean, I have a small tattoo of the first Kings logo on my bicep that I got back in 85. When I got it I almost wrote "will always be champs to me" (I know its stupid but I was pretty young). I believed then that we would win a cup within the next ten years.

I never got the words added but I also never really thought that we would win the cup after so many years of watching us throw away great young players for the next bestest big name player who typically was on the downside of their careers. A cycle that really didn't end until DL came in and PA took ownership (reverse the order). 99 came close but even then....

Finally we have won a cup and finally we have a GM and a mgmt group/owner who built us into a true winner with allot to look forward to.

The NHL network yammering simps along with most everyone else still doesn't give us any respect at all for what we have accomplished and who we are as team today. We just dominated to win the cup and we aren't even mentioned one time in any of the "who do you think will win the cup" b.s. shows that they keep having.

Fine with me, just like last year we are going to go in a do some serious damage and make each of those overpaid simpletons eat their words.

I like our team more today then yesterday and that is in large part due to the fact that our GM got the best WillieM replacement that he could and has us set to make another run this year and will have us in amazing shape going into next season too.

GO KINGS GO!!!!

CNS

A World Alone
May 24, 2008
I'll probably never just blindly love DL like most here, but I once again agree with you Tonelli. What Dean has done has been incredible. And the best part is hearing him talk about keeping this team together long term. Look at Chicago. They won a cup and then had to trade away all their depth. We won a ****ing cup and carried pretty much the exact same roster in to the next season, until the karma from no injuries to dman in the playoffs caught up to us.

Long live the Kings. ;)

I Am Ziggy Palffy

Sep 9, 2003
DL got the best defensive dman on the market which was exactly what was needed. That's nothing to sneeze at btw. The picks are nice, but the fit was right and the situation called for the move to be made. From the sound of it, there's no hint that DL paid for a guy with an expiring contract. Rather there's every intention to extend the stay and even at a lesser price to come.

Puck U

2012 SC CHAMPIONS !
Aug 2, 2005
Apple Valley, CA.
With Greene and RoaR to pick up the physical aspect of our Dsquad (that I believe will have a trickle down effect on the kids) I think we are about to see a re-birth of our overall team D.

THIS is partly why I think at least to start we're seeing RoaR (love the nic name Tonelli, as he IS Lombardi's TiGER, ie - easier to tame a Tiger than paint stripes on a *****cat.) paired with Keaton Ellerby ... I'm betting they hope some of RoaR's mean streak rubs off on Ellerby. Come Play-Offs we'll see Greener back and Ellerby in the press box, but for now I still think DL and Co. think and hope Ellerby can maybe turn into a Rob Scuderi or Willie Mitchell type replacement down the road, at least it's a low risk high reward shot at it, and if he can't, we have other kids down on the farm being raised in the same vain. Our D core looks better long term than Nashville's did and dare I say than any other team in the NHL ? :handclap:

etherialone

dialed in your mom
Mar 6, 2008
The Ether
THIS is partly why I think at least to start we're seeing RoaR (love the nic name Tonelli, as he IS Lombardi's TiGER, ie - easier to tame a Tiger than paint stripes on a *****cat.) paired with Keaton Ellerby ... I'm betting they hope some of RoaR's mean streak rubs off on Ellerby. Come Play-Offs we'll see Greener back and Ellerby in the press box, but for now I still think DL and Co. think and hope Ellerby can maybe turn into a Rob Scuderi or Willie Mitchell type replacement down the road, at least it's a low risk high reward shot at it, and if he can't, we have other kids down on the farm being raised in the same vain. Our D core looks better long term than Nashville's did and dare I say than any other team in the NHL ? :handclap:

I agree especially so on Ellerby.

Of all of our young players/prospects though I believe that once Kevin Gravel breaks into pro hockey and establishes himself we are going to see our WillieM/Greener replacement. The kid plays a really solid SAH game and can be mean when getting the job done. Still to early know that he will bring that aspect of his game to the NHL but so far so good.

Deslauriers was a really tough SOB in the Q and has shown that at times in the A so I am hoping that he gets that going as well. We have so much PMD depth that we really do need guys like Ellerby and Muzzin to bring a physical aspect to their games in order to become truly invaluable.

Roach is a good one for this type of play too though he is developing more of a PMD style the kid is mean and hits like a truck or has in the past. Lets see how it goes.

Ellerby would be a truly scary player if he can take that step to become a mean crease clearing fire breathig monster. Imagine how bad it would feel to get flattened by some guy named Keaton Ellerby.

Could get inside a players head for a long time.

Puck U

2012 SC CHAMPIONS !
Aug 2, 2005
Apple Valley, CA.
OK maybe not WM/RS ... how's a ROB BLAKE comparison to the ceiling of what we can hope Ellerby can become ?

BIG, MOBILE, good skater, decent outlet pass, can get shots on net, let's see if Drew can help teach Keaton the patented Blake Hip Check :) ... all the pluses, just none of the ego big money greed minuses. ;)

Scottkmlps

Aug 25, 2003
Ladysmith, BC
Visit site
OK maybe not WM/RS ... how's a ROB BLAKE comparison to the ceiling of what we can hope Ellerby can become ?

BIG, MOBILE, good skater, decent outlet pass, can get shots on net, let's see if Drew can help teach Keaton the patented Blake Hip Check :) ... all the pluses, just none of the ego big money greed minuses. ;)

Ellerby will never be a Rob Blake. Doesn't have the hockey I.Q. to have Blake's offensive game.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
Ellerby is more like Aki Berg. Untapped potential, but doesn't seem to have the smarts to put it all together. He doesn't play like a player who is 6'5", 217.

etherialone

dialed in your mom
Mar 6, 2008
The Ether
Ellerby is more like Aki Berg. Untapped potential, but doesn't seem to have the smarts to put it all together. He doesn't play like a player who is 6'5", 217.

Berg didn't have the braintrust that we currently have running things either though. Not saying that he will ever get really savvy but he might become fair enough to be a solid 4/6 dman on a good team.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
He's just not very polished. From what we've seen, he shouldn't be anything more than a 7th dman. I'd be nervous seeing him regularly as part of a daily rotation. The guy plays with a lot of jitters.

KingKopitar11*

I'm not sure about Ellerby but one thing I do know that is he has the potential to be top 4 pair. And one thing Is that we grow good defenseman and maybe he will grow too. Who knows

Steve Zissou

I'll order you a red cap and a Speedo.
Feb 3, 2006
City of Angels
With Greene and RoaR to pick up the physical aspect of our Dsquad (that I believe will have a trickle down effect on the kids) I think we are about to see a re-birth of our overall team D. Quick will have more time and gain more confidence and that sort of play is infectious.

I am not saying that RoaR is going to be Willie or even close to him. He will be at best a more physical Greener with about the same to offer in different ways.

Still, with Greener coming back and RoaR coming in Scuds will get to return to his usual role and usual minutes, Doughty will be allowed to return to looking for O more often and the kids will see less minutes while also having more veteran leadership to help them develop into the kind of players that we want them to be.

I like where we are today and am still happy that DL stood pat (standed pat? ;) ). In the end it comes down to finally being able to rely on a GM and I think allot of us who post here who have been following the team forever (and that is allot of us here) are more used to getting hosed by inept GM's with unrealistic owners then we are to being able to rely on one.

DL not only lead us to a cup but he has also built an incredible team from prospects to players, if he likes where we are then I am good with it. I mean, I have a small tattoo of the first Kings logo on my bicep that I got back in 85. When I got it I almost wrote "will always be champs to me" (I know its stupid but I was pretty young). I believed then that we would win a cup within the next ten years.

I never got the words added but I also never really thought that we would win the cup after so many years of watching us throw away great young players for the next bestest big name player who typically was on the downside of their careers. A cycle that really didn't end until DL came in and PA took ownership (reverse the order). 99 came close but even then....

Finally we have won a cup and finally we have a GM and a mgmt group/owner who built us into a true winner with allot to look forward to.

The NHL network yammering simps along with most everyone else still doesn't give us any respect at all for what we have accomplished and who we are as team today. We just dominated to win the cup and we aren't even mentioned one time in any of the "who do you think will win the cup" b.s. shows that they keep having.

Fine with me, just like last year we are going to go in a do some serious damage and make each of those overpaid simpletons eat their words.

I like our team more today then yesterday and that is in large part due to the fact that our GM got the best WillieM replacement that he could and has us set to make another run this year and will have us in amazing shape going into next season too.

GO KINGS GO!!!!

:clap:

Captain Mittens*

Ellerby and Dwight Kings lack the rage.
They need to go deer hunting with Robyn and drink the deer blood

Omni Owl

Mar 9, 2008
I still believe we could have used Ray Whitney on our 2nd line.
He would have been a big boost for our PP as well.

I think so too, whether it be Whitney or someone else. Seeing Williams go down hard on the boards made it evident. If one of our top 6 guys went down, they really can't be easily replaced. If someone goes down, we'll have to rely on one of the farm kids. Not exactly confidence educing, unless one of Clifford, King, Lewis, or Richardson will be able to step up...

bmr

Jan 23, 2013
I think so too, whether it be Whitney or someone else. Seeing Williams go down hard on the boards made it evident. If one of our top 6 guys went down, they really can't be easily replaced. If someone goes down, we'll have to rely on one of the farm kids. Not exactly confidence educing, unless one of Clifford, King, Lewis, or Richardson will be able to step up...

It made me nervous when Williams went down, but that's why we have guys like Toffoli to fill in just in case. Also, feels good to know that Vey and Pearson are developing as well.

bmr

Jan 23, 2013
Ellerby and Dwight Kings lack the rage.
They need to go deer hunting with Robyn and drink the deer blood

You really hit on something there, Dingo. I think Ellerby and King need to take lessons from Regehr. Those two are huge and should be intimidating the @*#(@$ out of the other team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad