Podcast (Audio) The Reason Gallant was fired in Vegas

romba

Aug 2, 2005
New Jersey
That's especially why you need a large sample.

You don't wanna be like the Yankees and put all nine fielders on one side in a tie game in the 8th inning, and then when the guy just chips a base hit opposite field because he's the winning run, you double down by saying that the shift drops averages.

Yes, in the first seven innings when guys are trying to hit homeruns.
Man do I want to derail this thread now and bitch about the Yankees and how they love smelling their own analytic farts.

A coach who doesn’t worry about analytics yet his teams perform well analytically- sign me up! I did not know this about Gallant

Reactions: egelband

Machinehead

Jiminy Crickets Let's Cut the Hubris
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Man do I want to derail this thread now and bitch about the Yankees and how they love smelling their own analytic farts.

A coach who doesn’t worry about analytics yet his teams perform well analytically- sign me up! I did not know this about Gallant
What I always say is that, as a coach, you can't go into the room and yell "hey guys, do expected goals better!"

Analytics are just the result of what people like to call "real" hockey.

Gallant's teams tend to be physical but they're not just hitting randomly. That tends to translate well into underlying numbers. Meanwhile, the teams that are hitting just to say they're hitting tend to not do so hot, because you're not hitting if you have the puck.

huerter

Aug 16, 2020
I mean, it's a bit of a hamfisted way to say it, but yeah. I want a coach who understands that analytics have a role but isn't going to rely solely on them to field his team.

I said what I said very aptly. What you said is nubby.

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
So…disagreements between coaches and managers over the grey area between roster construction and roster implementation? Analytics sound entirely peripheral to the situation.

Reactions: egelband

Barnaby

Jul 2, 2003
Port Jefferson, NY
I mean, it's a bit of a hamfisted way to say it, but yeah. I want a coach who understands that analytics have a role but isn't going to rely solely on them to field his team.

To me, it has a place, but it’s just one piece of the puzzle. I want a coach that’s aware of the analytics and can work them into some decisions, but I don’t want a coach that purely relies on them instead of having a feel for the game.

It has been said before, but analytics are a lot more useful in a sport like baseball and even then they’re over used.

This does sound like more of a relationship issue though. Drury seems like a low key guy... hopefully he keeps Dolan and Gallant far apart.

Last edited:
Reactions: Hunter Gathers

Ruggs225

Oct 15, 2007
Long Island, NY
Good coaches end up with good looking analytic. Umbers because their team plays well

bad coaches take “good analytics“ players and do nothing with them because they dont know how to use them.

have quinn coach the isles and they wont make the playoffs. Put trotz on the rangers and we are cup contenders.

Chaels Arms

Formerly Lias Andersson
Aug 26, 2010
New York City
Darryl Sutter seems like the last coach to care about analytics and his Kings teams were analytics darlings.

I like Negreanu and this was actually a pretty good interview but on this specific point it seems like he is just recycling rumors that have been floating around Vegas on this topic.

Reactions: Boris Zubov

n8

WAAAAAAA!!!
Nov 7, 2002
san francisco
Visit site
I feel like analytics are great in between games. It's oddball to use them in the middle of the game. You don't play a hockey game on spreadsheets. And you don't lord the stats over the HEAD coach. That said, I believe a coach needs to be very aware and open to adjustments. The way analytics could be used in a game should be more along the lines of "their 2nd line is dominating" and allow the HC to make adjustments. Like he will know what matchups he's getting. If we wants players to work through it, work harder, etc. Or if he has the home ice advantage to consistently dictate the matchup to neutralize them. I think that is a good way to use it. Not to send down mandates. I think that is ridiculous.

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
Full disclosure. Not a fan of analytics.

Happy he doesn't rely on them much if at all.
Analytics is naturally backward-looking. Which is fine if you're talking about established vets. But with young players the numbers won't tell the whole story. Anyhow, as I think 99% of us agree, there's a time and a place for analytics but they aren't the be-all-end-all. I'd assume Gallant feels similarly, too.

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
Darryl Sutter seems like the last coach to care about analytics and his Kings teams were analytics darlings.

I like Negreanu and this was actually a pretty good interview but on this specific point it seems like he is just recycling rumors that have been floating around Vegas on this topic.
Well, that's pretty much what we do here :naughty: And I take the opinion of many posters here more seriously than what the mainstream outlets say.

Alluckks

Gabriel Perreault Fan Account
Sponsor
Nov 2, 2011
It's because he was too loosey goosey, eatin' a sandwich

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
At the end of the day the next few years is as equally important for Gallant as it is the Rangers.

Just like we want to take that next step and establish ourselves on a different level, Gallant does as well.

If this works the way it has the potential to, Gallant's last three stops will become a backstory. He has a chance to be defined and identified by what he does here.

While I have my fair share of concerns, I also have a lot of hope.

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
Reactions: nyr2k2

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
??? how did these get here from the Elmer thread ... which is now no longer listed?
?some HFB voodoo i am unfamiliar with?
I think the OP had several different threads (including another one for this exact podcast which was originally titled something about the poker player guy and didn't mention Gallant in the title) and they were all merged. The Elmer podcast one seemed to be merged as well.

Anyway, Elmer sucks. :laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad