Sep 1, 2010
Which people? Fans at the time knew he was a late-career former all-star

RangersFan1994

Aug 20, 2019
Reactions: Khall9 and MrAlmost

MrAlmost

Beer league hero.
Jun 3, 2010
A great, underrated player. Good stories. Milbury is the dumbest man in hockey. If he can do it, I know anyone here could do it. Don't let your dreams die. haha

Machinehead

Jiminy Crickets Let's Cut the Hubris
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Couldn't hit water if he fell out of a boat but a good defender.

Ironically, I also believe it was Strudwick who tied the Malik shootout with the Caps at game point before Malik made it the Malik shootout.

Strudwick's out-of-left-field goal would have been more of a story if Malik didn't then do what he did.

Reactions: Khall9

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
Strudwick was like a less dumb version of Brendan Smith.

He was signed right before the lockout as one of those "who?" players and he turned into a solid role player for a few years.

Reactions: Khall9

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Zherdev in his one season playing for us was a world beater in the first half but then fell off the proverbial cliff in the second half and was awful in the playoffs. He wanted a ton of money then and took us to arbitration and if I remember rightly he won but then Slats walked away from the ruling and Nikolai became a free agent. After that it was all downhill for NZ.

The talent was certainly there. I don’t really dispute Fritsche’s account though I would say Dan himself was a disappointment too and maybe really isn’t one to talk.

WojtekWolski86

Nov 14, 2019
Zherdev in his one season playing for us was a world beater in the first half but then fell off the proverbial cliff in the second half and was awful in the playoffs. He wanted a ton of money then and took us to arbitration and if I remember rightly he won but then Slats walked away from the ruling and Nikolai became a free agent. After that it was all downhill for NZ.

The talent was certainly there. I don’t really dispute Fritsche’s account though I would say Dan himself was a disappointment too and maybe really isn’t one to talk.

Skill vs will.

Fritsche, Howden, both are of the same vein where they give it their all but they just aren't good.

Zherdev was every bit as talented as Malkin, Panarin, etc. His hands were the best since Kovalev. He made a backhand toe drag along the blue line and made guys look silly. But if he didn't have the puck,than skating or checking didn't interest him at all.

Reactions: eco's bones

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
A lot can be said about Zherdev and his play elsewhere obviously shows that he wasn't made of the right stuff. I mean he only played 56 games in the NHL after he left us, and he was only 24 y/o.

With that said -- during his very short stint here before Tortorella came on board, he played fantastic hockey. He was like a magnet on the puck and could stickhandle his way out of any situation.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
That's baloney that Zherdev took off three out of every four or four out of every five games. I know there are plenty of reasons to not like the guy but that's some serious hyperbole.

I remember being mildly excited when we acquired Dan Fritsche. Then I realized, nah, this guy actually isn't that good.

Dan Fritsche was a waste of talent, frankly.

Reactions: nyr2k2

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
Zherdev was a good defensive player. He's just given the usual lazy Russian archetype because he was skilled.

will1066

Tarasenko: most dollar store player of all time
Oct 12, 2008
This is like Steve Lombardi ranting on Barry Horowitz.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad