Value of: Swayman

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
Chychrun, Korpisalo, and 7th overall
for
Swayman (with a fair pre-negotiated long-term deal)

I just don’t think the Bruins are in the right timing to have 7OA in a defenseman heavy draft as the big part of the return. They need to take advantage of Pasta’s prime here, and waiting around for that pick to maybe develop isn’t gonna work.

Ullmark for Chychrun, if Ullmark is down for Ottawa, which I question, would make more sense for Boston.

I am Bettman

May 23, 2022
Would take a crazy overpayment to pry him away from Boston. Every single game that he starts is a game that the Bruins can win regardless of how they play. He was tracking to be a good starter before the season, but now he looks like a franchise goalie that will be at the top of the league for the next decade. What sets him apart from Ullmark is the fact that he is not just a modern butterfly goalie who plays percentages and lets the puck hit him. He is sort of a mix of old and new, like Tuuka Rask and Tim Thomas put together stylistically.

Reactions: TorontLoL 67

Drake1588

UNATCO
Sponsor
Jul 2, 2002
Northern Virginia
Expensive all around. It would be expensive to pry him away from the Bruins in a trade (doubtful), and it'll be expensive for the Bruins to lock him up (much more likely). Either way, someone is going to pay and Swayman is going to make bank this summer. Great young player.

KevinRedkey

12/18/23 and beyond!
Jan 22, 2010
I just don’t think the Bruins are in the right timing to have 7OA in a defenseman heavy draft as the big part of the return. They need to take advantage of Pasta’s prime here, and waiting around for that pick to maybe develop isn’t gonna work.

Ullmark for Chychrun, if Ullmark is down for Ottawa, which I question, would make more sense for Boston.

Ullmark only makes sense for Ottawa if he comes with a new contract. Otherwise it's too short sighted for them.

Boston could also flip 7 to a bad team for a pretty decent return IMO.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
Ullmark only makes sense for Ottawa if he comes with a new contract. Otherwise it's too short sighted for them.

It would be Chychurn not the 7th, if a trade.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA

Oh yeah I meant to imply “is down” isn’t just waiving but extending. Boston just has very little incentive to make Swayman to a division rival or to anyone. They would have to be blown away and I don’t think “but maybe you can get something good for 7th OA!” cuts it.

Last edited:
Reactions: KevinRedkey

KevinRedkey

12/18/23 and beyond!
Jan 22, 2010
Oh yeah I meant to imply “is down” isn’t just waiving but extending. Boston just has very little incentive to make Swayman to a division rival or to anyone. They would have to be blown away and I don’t think “but maybe you can get something good for 7th OA!” cuts it.

I understand and that's fair.

My idea was along the lines of:
Boston swaps 7th OV for someone like Couture, Ehlers, Marner, or Terry (varying value of course but IDK who's actualy available, so they are just examples).

Chychrun + Ullmark + Forward > Swayman + the return for Ullmark (IMO)

A lot of that hinges on how much they want to win while Marchand is still effective though. It's not like they are Pittsburgh (old core), but they also aren't New Jersey (young core). They certainly have options, and trading Swayman to a division rival certainly has to make sense if they were to even entertain it.

Reactions: wintersej

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
I understand and that's fair.

My idea was along the lines of:
Boston swaps 7th OV for someone like Couture, Ehlers, Marner, or Terry (varying value of course but IDK who's actualy available, so they are just examples).

Chychrun + Ullmark + Forward > Swayman + the return for Ullmark (IMO)

A lot of that hinges on how much they want to win while Marchand is still effective though. It's not like they are Pittsburgh (old core), but they also aren't New Jersey (young core). They certainly have options, and trading Swayman to a division rival certainly has to make sense if they were to even entertain it.

I think the Bruins will be looking for a top line guy around Pasta’s age (think Lindholm) plus whatever they can get for Ullmark and try to make a run before the Marchand wheels come off and then hope they get as lucky as they were with Pasta and McAvoy (unlikely!) again before Pasta ages out.

Reactions: KevinRedkey

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad