Value of: Swayman

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Bruins have no need for another LW with Pastrnak and Debrusk.

Plus no room to take back any salary if Swayman is getting dealt

PLD is a center, and yes I do think it would be strange for Boston to prioritize keeping both Ullmark and Swayman while they leave center empty.

Obviously it only works with heavy retention, maybe Forbort/Reilly getting shipped out.

Qwijibo

Dec 1, 2014
17% chance we move up. Dubois much more doable.
That’s not how math works. There are 2 lotteries. In each one Montréal has an 8.5% chance of moving up. So they have 8.5% chance. Twice. That’s it. Not a 17% chance. It’s FAR more likely Montreal moves down a spot to 6.

Either way. I’m not risking a potential lottery pick next year on an 8.5% shot at Bedard for a goalie. Goalie return that kind of windfall because they are , by in large, a product of the system they play in and the team in front of them

TheKrebsCycle

Throwing Confetti for Perfetti
Jun 1, 2011
Barrie
He’s unproven as a starter and is a product of the system he’s in.
Been elite at every level . And was borderline elite last year when Boston wasn’t nearly as strong . I repeat the cost would be high . Goalies this young and talented aren’t typically available.

Reactions: PatriceBergeronFan

Kaiden Ghoul

Youppi va t’il devoir chauser ses patins calvaince
Jan 19, 2020
Habs offer a 1 years 4.2M$ to him
Comp would be a 2nd pick in 2024, and Obv Bruins would match that, but they's need to get rid of a lot of salary and can"t trade Sway for the whole year, meaning he'd have arb right in 2024 and likelly gets a lot more.

Hope the new management will not go offer sheet route.

Would rather try to find a 3rd team and pays them the price for Swayman

Pay back for Jeff Hackett you ... Bruins organisation :sarcasm:

Mersss

Jul 12, 2014
Been elite at every level . And was borderline elite last year when Boston wasn’t nearly as strong . I repeat the cost would be high . Goalies this young and talented aren’t typically available.
Boston Bruins hands are tied if he signs an OS in a team where he'd be a #1.

The team can't afford 10M tied up in nets and replace 2 top9 Cs with the little cap they have.

An OS at 4.2 for 1 yeat is the absolute worse for BOS...

If they trade Ullmark to keep Swayman. They only have a week to do so and will get penny on the dollars back. Sway posts another stellar season and he'll get an even bigger contract, putting the Bs even deeper in cap troubles.

If they keep both they won't be able to get a new 2C cause no cash

If they don't match they only get a 2nd

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
Boston Bruins hands are tied if he signs an OS in a team where he'd be a #1.

The team can't afford 10M tied up in nets and replace 2 top9 Cs with the little cap they have.

An OS at 4.2 for 1 yeat is the absolute worse for BOS...

If they trade Ullmark to keep Swayman. They only have a week to do so and will get penny on the dollars back. Sway posts another stellar season and he'll get an even bigger contract, putting the Bs even deeper in cap troubles.

If they keep both they won't be able to get a new 2C cause no cash

If they don't match they only get a 2nd
You make great points but this isn’t the first time BOS hands were tied and they figured it out.

Qwijibo

Dec 1, 2014
Regardless. Goalies don’t bring big returns. They’re too unpredictable.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
To the Penguins please. I would gladly give the 1st we have, barring some sort of major move upwards.

ElPrimeTime

Dec 23, 2014
Edmonton, AB
If Georgiev can get 2x3rd round picks and a 5th round pick as an RFA, being older and having worse stats, Swayman would get a lot more.

Bruins match anything in that 2nd round pick comp return on an offer sheet. Over that price and it becomes a serious decision on possibly not matching and taking the picks.

Reactions: CapsFrontOffice

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Could see the Bruins selling high on Ullmark in the off-season when his NMC turns into a 16 team NTC, assuming he's not intent on staying in Boston at all cost and doesn't use his NTC to basically ensure he can't be dealt.

Could give Swayman a cheap 1 year bridge deal to get them through next season's cap issues.

TheKrebsCycle

Throwing Confetti for Perfetti
Jun 1, 2011
Barrie
To the Penguins please. I would gladly give the 1st we have, barring some sort of major move upwards.
This is what I think happens too . First plus . Or as someone suggested sell high on Ullmark and roll w Swayman who could potentially be as good /similar.

DesertPenguin

Apr 22, 2015
Pens don't currently have their 2nd or 3rd round pick, so an offer sheet at 4 or 5 mil can't happen. I assume we could buy those back for other, slightly more valuable assets though.

Would BOS consider PIT's 2023 1st for Swayman?

PatriceBergeronFan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 15, 2011
USA
Swayman is not signing an unmatched offer sheet with the majority of teams unless the offer is the type the Bruins receive several picks.

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
I don't see an offer sheet as realistic.

Swayman has no incentive to sign anything under $4.2 AAV. I don't think anyone is willing to give up a 1st and 3rd for him either, so they're unlikely to offer over $4.2 when he's never carried a full season load. Even if they did, I think the Bruins match anything up to $5.

I expect the Bruins to give him a bridge deal in the $4-$4.5 range and to trade Ullmark.

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005
He’s going to get around $3 million for 2 years. Normally a team can handle that but they’ve got to cut costs in as many places as they can find.

We should assume they’ll receive a few phone calls on him.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Pens don't currently have their 2nd or 3rd round pick, so an offer sheet at 4 or 5 mil can't happen. I assume we could buy those back for other, slightly more valuable assets though.

Would BOS consider PIT's 2023 1st for Swayman?

As others mentioned, a hypothetical offer sheet couldn't happen until July 1st (ie after the 2023 Draft), so the compensatory picks would be for 2024. PIttsburgh is missing its own 2024 3rd round pick, so that limits the range of offer sheet they could do.

Boston dealt Dougie Hamilton at the 2015 Draft (#15+#45+#52) presumably worried that he'd be an offer sheet target and 2016 crop wasn't expected to be nearly as deep as 2015. They reportedly tried to shop Hamilton to Arizona for the 3rd overall pick (to land Noah Hanifin) but the Coyotes countered with their 2016 1st instead. Similarly it seems like the 2023 Draft is stronger than the 2024 Draft, so perhaps Boston would want a pick this year rather than next if they knew they didn't have the cap space to keep Swayman.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad