Prospect Info: Shane Wright (Round 1, Pick #4, 2022 draft)

brewski420

Sep 29, 2009
Ohio
So, honest question....

After Arizona announced they were taking Cooley, how many of you, like me, were very happy that Wright had fallen to us, and then numb with shock and anger when Bettman came to the podium to announce a trade, thinking Francis had traded down?

I don't think I took a breath for at least 30 seconds. :laugh:
I totally thought I am going to be really pissed!! 🤣

Reactions: Irie

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
In five years people will be talking about Shane Wright falling to the Kraken as if it was a conspiracy by the NHL.

No, everyone's just gonna be laughing at Arizona as usual. They are just bad at drafting.

Pretty good chance the other 2 picks will be easier to justify, Saf will more than likely score a lot of goals and Nemec is a defender. Cooley before Wright makes no sense,

UseYourHedman

Hold my beer for a sec
Mar 17, 2018
PNW
I think the habs front office thought he looked to much like Jonathan Drouin and couldn't stomach the thought of drafting his twin

jfc64

Jul 2, 2006
Laughkowski is a "peak-to-sooner".

Next, Bedard for a nice 1-2-3 punch.

UnkleKraker

May 31, 2007
Washington State
In five years people will be talking about Shane Wright falling to the Kraken as if it was a conspiracy by the NHL.

My longtime team (before Seattle got the Kraken) has been Colorado. Lost a couple draft lotteries and fell to the 4th pick both times. They had to settle for a couple scrubs named Makar and Byram. I think losing the lottery and falling to number 4 is the best of luck. Come on down Shane Wright!

NiagaraKraken

May 23, 2021
Niagara
A7D2CF1A-2457-4E5F-B8B9-560D263AB286.png

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
My longtime team (before Seattle got the Kraken) has been Colorado. Lost a couple draft lotteries and fell to the 4th pick both times. They had to settle for a couple scrubs named Makar and Byram. I think losing the lottery and falling to number 4 is the best of luck. Come on down Shane Wright!

There really is nothing wrong with the 4th OA pick. A lot of great players were 4OA picks

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA

Makar is currently my favorite player, I watched his first game and I was wowed (he scored a goal in a playoff game). I knew right away that kid was going to be special.

To 4th OA picks, cheers.

Reactions: UnkleKraker

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
You guys remember when we were all talking about being in on the “Shane Wright Sweepstakes” and then we ended up getting 4th in the lottery… and we were all like “Well, Wright is out”. Remember that? Lmfao.

Welcome to the unpredictableness of the entry draft.

Reactions: Toomany7pins

Price is Wright

Feb 5, 2010
essex
There really is nothing wrong with the 4th OA pick. A lot of great players were 4OA picks

It doesn't matter where you're picked. Or even picked at all. Just that you get a fair shot in the NHL.

It's more the fact he was a first overall caliber player and fell for dubious reasons. Seattle will benefit from this. Just like St. Louis benefitted from Tarasenko dropping because he was Russian and Washington benefitted from Kuznetsov dropping for, well, the same reason.

Irie

Nov 14, 2010
Pacific Northwest
You guys remember when we were all talking about being in on the “Shane Wright Sweepstakes” and then we ended up getting 4th in the lottery… and we were all like “Well, Wright is out”. Remember that? Lmfao.

It was crazy luck, but it still came down to having that top 5 pick.

I can't help but wonder how different the future of this franchise would be looking right now if Francis had spent big in free agency and the team had been good enough to finish with the 12th or 13th pick instead, and the prize acquisition was someone like Lekkerimaki instead of Wright.

*shivers*

Reactions: The Marquis

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
It doesn't matter where you're picked. Or even picked at all. Just that you get a fair shot in the NHL.

It's more the fact he was a first overall caliber player and fell for dubious reasons. Seattle will benefit from this. Just like St. Louis benefitted from Tarasenko dropping because he was Russian and Washington benefitted from Kuznetsov dropping for, well, the same reason.
Pavel Brendl comes to mind, was above goal-per-game in the WHL but dropped fourth and ultimately busted because of his questionable work ethic. Wright now has the opportunity to either recognize the error in his ways or suffer the same fate. Seattle was lucky to get a player they thought might not be available, but it's not like there's no clear reason for that fall.

GrungeHockey

Sep 14, 2021

Indeed. Many star players have been even later picks. Patrice Bergeron, who I truly believe Shane Wright will be very similar to, was picked 45th in 2003, behind such notables as Konstantin Pushkaryov and Matt Smaby to name just two. (Shea Weber 49th in the same draft!)

Point being, not only did we get a great player with that first pick, but any number of those 2nd rounders could surprise. Firkus especially.

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany
Pavel Brendl comes to mind, was above goal-per-game in the WHL but dropped fourth and ultimately busted because of his questionable work ethic. Wright now has the opportunity to either recognize the error in his ways or suffer the same fate. Seattle was lucky to get a player they thought might not be available, but it's not like there's no clear reason for that fall.

That stuff is quite strange to me.
Absolutley no one ever questioned Wright's work ethic up until yesterday when they've got to find a reason to try and explain why he fell to #4.

In the end, every prospect has got to show they're NHL players, but I find that one strange.

Indeed. Many star players have been even later picks. Patrice Bergeron, who I truly believe Shane Wright will be very similar to, was picked 45th in 2003, behind such notables as Konstantin Pushkaryov and Matt Smaby to name just two. (Shea Weber 49th in the same draft!)

Point being, not only did we get a great player with that first pick, but any number of those 2nd rounders could surprise. Firkus especially.

I don't like those Bergeron comparisions.

They're always thrown in there once you've got a center with 200 feet awareness and offensive limitations, at least the moment they're drafted.

Both Wright and Bergeron, looking at their draft years, also have onle little in common.

Wright was a guy that had scored at McDavid level during his 15 year old season, showed great offensive skills/leathel shot and got exceptional status.
He then lost a full season and couldn't replicate that season during his draft year.

Bergeron was a skinny kid that started his draft year out on the third line, worked his way up to the first line and then ended up being the best player on his team.
Though, everyone saw the talent, but it was clear he needed time to fill out his body and those guys usually fall in a draft.

Price is Wright

Feb 5, 2010
essex
That stuff is quite strange to me.
Absolutley no one ever questioned Wright's work ethic up until yesterday when they've got to find a reason to try and explain why he fell to #4.

In the end, every prospect has got to show they're NHL players, but I find that one strange.

I don't like those Bergeron comparisions.

They're always thrown in there once you've got a center with 200 feet awareness and offensive limitations, at least the moment they're drafted.

Both Wright and Bergeron, looking at their draft years, also have onle little in common.

Wright was a guy that had scored at McDavid level during his 15 year old season, showed great offensive skills/leathel shot and got exceptional status.
He then lost a full season and couldn't replicate that season during his draft year.

Bergeron was a skinny kid that started his draft year out on the third line, worked his way up to the first line and then ended up being the best player on his team.
Though, everyone saw the talent, but it was clear he needed time to fill out his body and those guys usually fall in a draft.

The better comparison for Wright is Tavares. Tavares was heavily criticised in his final season because he focused on his defensive game instead of trying to break offensive records. Red Line put him third in the rankings behind Duchene and Hedman. There was a lot of chatter he should fall but the Islanders still took him. He's also better compared than Bergeron to Wright game wise.

Most of the criticism is because Wright was rough in the OHL playoffs and didn't blow everyone away in the two games before the WJC was cancelled. He isn't the first top player to not have a blowaway WJC or to dominate in the playoffs but he already had pressure on him starting the season slow.

Anyway doesn't matter. He's now a Kraken and I'm excited to see him become the first great player of the franchise.

Sun God Nika

Palestine <3.
Apr 22, 2013
I think the best thing for him is another year in junior it also allows the ELC to slide . It easier to justify now that he was drafted 4th as opposed to 1st or 2nd

Price is Wright

Feb 5, 2010
essex
I think the best thing for him is another year in junior it also allows the ELC to slide . It easier to justify now that he was drafted 4th as opposed to 1st or 2nd

Junior is the worst place for him. I watched a lot of him thinking he'd be picked by the Canadiens. He often looked bored. He needs a challenge. I think he makes the team and contributes day one.

Soul Rebel

Aug 19, 2019
So interesting reading the recap of the draft regarding Wright falling. They said he mean mugged the Canadiens draft table while on stage. I went back and watched the draft selection and it sure looked like he stared them down after smiling for pics initially.

I love the confidence and chip he’s going to play with.

93F90713-2E4F-4144-9A2D-FD42163F9511.jpeg
93F90713-2E4F-4144-9A2D-FD42163F9511.jpeg

Youngguns80

A worthy goal is easy to defend
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2021
Ohio
CBJ Fan here - just wanted to drop by and say congrats. This is huge for your organization- look how many Teams don‘t have a true 1C and yet you have 2!!

I have to be envious - CBJ has been 21 years and still no true 1C. Great start!!

Also don’t listen to this crap about Shane Wright bust - he will be very good.

Price is Wright

Feb 5, 2010
essex
So interesting reading the recap of the draft regarding Wright falling. They said he mean mugged the Canadiens draft table while on stage. I went back and watched the draft selection and it sure looked like he stared them down after smiling for pics initially.

I love the confidence and chip he’s going to play with.

View attachment 566642View attachment 566642

Allegedly when they met with him the day before the draft they did a big breakdown of his play in the OHL playoffs to essentially say why they weren't selecting him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad