Prospect Info: Shane Wright (Round 1, Pick #4, 2022 draft)

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA
ohlprospects.blogspot.com
More Wright info for you:

Irie

Nov 14, 2010
Pacific Northwest
So, honest question....

After Arizona announced they were taking Cooley, how many of you, like me, were very happy that Wright had fallen to us, and then numb with shock and anger when Bettman came to the podium to announce a trade, thinking Francis had traded down?

I don't think I took a breath for at least 30 seconds. :laugh:

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Expected to go 1st overall before the start of the season, a good and consistent season was not enough to let him keep the 1 OA spot. Instead he dropped to 4 where Seattle are hoping Wright and Beniers are a great 1-2 punch down the middle for years to come.

So fortunate Arizona always screws up their top pick, this one will probably fall in somewhere closer to Dylan Strome than Barrett Hayton.

This is gonna make the team worth watching for sure. Wonder if he makes the team next season, really no reason to send him back to the OHL.

Edit: You know the really funny thing about this pick is that there really isn't anything to argue about. Obvious BPA.

Last edited:
Reactions: NiagaraKraken

The Marquis

Aug 24, 2020
Washougal, WA
So, honest question....

After Arizona announced they were taking Cooley, how many of you, like me, were very happy that Wright had fallen to us, and then numb with shock and anger when Bettman came to the podium to announce a trade, thinking Francis had traded down?

I don't think I took a breath for at least 30 seconds. :laugh:

Being at the Kraken draft party, there was definitely a moment where the place went rather quiet with the trade after all the buzz about Wright being available. The whole experience was surreal as 1-3 were unveiled, the trade announced and finally the pick made. Really fun stuff.

Reactions: NiagaraKraken

Irie

Nov 14, 2010
Pacific Northwest
Habs fan here can't believe we passed on Wright

While we are happy you did(and Jersey and Arizona too), Slaf is going to be great, so don't judge the draft results just yet. Give it a few years, there is still a strong chance that you got hands down the best player in the draft.

Welcome to Seattle, Shane.

Will be fun watching/following rookie camp starting Monday, July 11th.
I am still in shock :laugh:

Irie

Nov 14, 2010
Pacific Northwest
So fortunate Arizona always screws up their top pick, this one will probably fall in somewhere closer to Dylan Strome than Barrett Hayton.

This is gonna make the team worth watching for sure. Wonder if he makes the team next season, really no reason to send him back to the OHL.

Edit: You know the really funny thing about this pick is that there really isn't anything to argue about. Obvious BPA.
Hey hey, welcome back! =D

I honestly feel incredibly sorry for Coyotes fans. They spent all this effort and suffering to tank and accumulate all this draft capital, and then they pass on Wright, trade away three picks to move up to grab Geekie, and make another huge reach late in the first for Lamoureux.

Looking at their draft position before the draft I felt it was impossible to screw it up. But Armstrong totally did. :help:

Reactions: Gniwder

NiagaraKraken

May 23, 2021
Niagara
39 goals as a 15 year old in the OHL. I can’t believe him putting up 94 points on a young Kingston team made the 3 teams in front of us overthink the hell out of it. Wright/Beniers might be the best young Center core in the league atm. Just wow.

NiagaraKraken

May 23, 2021
Niagara
180B406A-9736-4D41-8DB4-BF27EA5D1938.jpeg

Reactions: RayMartyniukTotems

Legionnaire11

Jul 12, 2007
Murfreesboro
atlantichockeyleague.com
The next morning it's still feeling good. I'm not shocked that Wright wasn't taken by MTL or NJD, but I don't understand how ARZ didn't take him. Cooley could have more offensive upside, and they might like his personality better. But Wright has a much more complete game than Cooley and less bust potential.

On that note, do not buy into the "Wright fell hard, he will bust!" narrative that some fans/fanbases are pedaling. He wasn't a lock at #1, a lot of expert scouts had him 2 or 3. Nobody thinks he'll bust, just that Slaf has more superstar potential. Wrights skillset and smarts basically guarantee an NHL player, even if that's only a 50 point 2C that can PK a bit. Getting a guaranteed NHL player is never a bad pick.

tank44

Feb 1, 2012
Seattle, WA
From ESPN draft analysis
ESPN said:
How he fits: Wright's slide to No. 4 had to feel excruciating. For years, the Kingston Frontenacs center was projected to be this draft's top prospect. He was just the sixth player to ever be granted exceptional status in the OHL and put up 39 goals and 66 points in 58 games as a 15-year-old freshman en route to winning rookie of the year.

After the COVID-19 pandemic cost him all of the 2020-21 season, he returned in 2021-22 with an underwhelming start that produced only 22 points in 19 games. He finished strong with 94 points in 63 games but many scouts (rightly) began predicting Wright had opened the door for others to unseat him as the consensus No. 1. That's exactly what happened. New Jersey had the No. 2 and didn't need another center; Arizona went with a different center at No. 3.

The Kraken finally pulled Wright off the board. While not a generational talent, Wright has the potential to develop into a No. 1 center. At 6-0 and 191 pounds, Wright possesses good size and is a strong skater who's impressively elusive with quickness to beat defenders to pucks. Add to that excellent hockey sense, outstanding playmaking ability and finish around the net.

No doubt his slide down the draft board will motivate Wright when he does reach the NHL. And he's likely closer to being NHL-ready than most No. 4 picks. That's good news for the expansion Kraken, who can mold Wright into a franchise centerpiece. -- Shilton

I love the bolded part. At still over a point per game was seen as under performing. So excited for Wright.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad