Rumor: Ryan Miller to TB

The Hockey Hitman

Jul 26, 2006
You had me until Brian Elliot. Hes ****.
Only reason I mentioned Elliott is based off last season's performance and the emergence of Jake Allen in St. Louis makes him very expendable, and at least it's a potential trade target whether any of us likes it or not. Slim pickings. He has been garbage this year, no doubt. Touche, sir!

Neither will Yzerman. /thread

Hopefully!

Sounds like it's 50/50.

50% for Miller

50% for Lulongo.

Right?
I'm 110% against either of them.

edit: unless it's something like Garon+Malone+Lee for Luongo(or Miller)

Last edited:

Steve Yzerman

A New Season Begins
Mar 11, 2013
Mississauga
Whats wrong with getting Luongo, couldn't he just be bought out in 4-5 seasons?

No one likes to buy out a player, especially management. Sure it gets them under the cap, but Vinik writing up a cheque for a guy who's no longer on the roster can't make him happy. If it was someone who came before Yzerman and Vinik like Lecavalier, Yzerman can probably sell that pitch or even a guy with a short and cheap contract like Brewer. But for a long term, high-paying contract like Luongo that you trade for? Management would prefer a more reasonable contract with same caliber.

HotPaquette

Apr 7, 2012
Sarasota, Fl
No one likes to buy out a player, especially management. Sure it gets them under the cap, but Vinik writing up a cheque for a guy who's no longer on the roster can't make him happy. If it was someone who came before Yzerman and Vinik like Lecavalier, Yzerman can probably sell that pitch or even a guy with a short and cheap contract like Brewer. But for a long term, high-paying contract like Luongo that you trade for? Management would prefer a more reasonable contract with same caliber.

Im just thinking about the get out of buyout free card.

The Hockey Hitman

Jul 26, 2006
Amnesty buy-outs, from the way I understand it, can only be used this season or next season. Beyond that, you lose'em if you don't use'em. What's the point of trading for a veteran if you're going to just buy him out?

Jacko95

Sep 19, 2012
I still think, SY will do nothing and hope and to be honest I'm okay with it, IF he brings in a consistent backup, that gives us the chance to win night in night out (of his games)
If you look at top goalies, lots of them came in the league with 20 and are regulars the year later: Examples are: Price, Quick, Lehtonen, Rask and some others. Vasya is seen as the best goalie on his draft day since Price and had a hell of a year. SO why does everybody think he is years away. I could very well see him as a regular in 2015

FDfranklin

Jan 21, 2013
So to the ones against miller, you are really okay with another season with Lindback/Garon in the net? I am fine with Lindback, but paired with Garon I don't see it being successful.

Steve Yzerman

A New Season Begins
Mar 11, 2013
Mississauga
So to the ones against miller, you are really okay with another season with Lindback/Garon in the net? I am fine with Lindback, but paired with Garon I don't see it being successful.

If Miller does not come over, let Desjardins get a handful of games this season and see if he can play the role of a backup. He's only played like 2-3 games season and he's looked good in what he's done so far.

BoltSTH

Sep 4, 2008
Tampa
I do not think SFY will trade for a goalie. It is Lindback next year playing the majority of the games (65 +/- 5) and Garon/Desjardins/Janus as the backup.

If Miller does not come over, let Desjardins get a handful of games this season and see if he can play the role of a backup. He's only played like 2-3 games season and he's looked good in what he's done so far.

We gave Lindback the ball this year, and he didn't make a good impression. I am not saying he has no future, but I am not comfortable handing it to him again next year without thinking twice. If we have the opportunity to pick up a proven goaltender for a decent package then we should go for it.

nhljohnson

Jul 4, 2006
There's a lot of wild speculation surrounding what might have been, at the most, Yzerman making a general inquiry about Miller.

If there's any actual legs to this and talks pick up traction be it now or in the off-season, it is highly unlikely a) Buffalo unloads Miller for a pittance or B) that Miller won't garner a significant return. You have to ignore the fact that only 1-year remains on Miller's deal; if Regier is dead-set on moving Miller, he would want to engineer a trade that would maximize the return for Buffalo, thus, striking a deal with a team that Miller is not only amenable to playing for but also signing an extension with. Regier would have every reason to want to allow a serious trade partner to gauge Miller's interest in extending with them, if not outright negotiating the framework of an extension.

This is partly why, IF a deal between Tampa Bay and Buffalo were to come to pass, that the haul Buffalo would receive including at least one of the likes of Conacher (Canisius College connection), Killorn, Connolly, Panik or even Kucherov (extremely high ceiling, Grigorenko connection) isn't just some far-fetched notion but actually plausible. I will say that I think that, of the bunch, Killorn's the closest to untouchable, the least likely to be moved.

The other part of this is Tampa Bay's contractual situation at forward presently and moving forward. TB has 10 forwards with 1-ways deals this season, 8 of whom (Lecavalier, Stamkos, St. Louis, Malone, Purcell, Thompson, Tyrell, Pyatt) are on the docket for next season and 2 (Pouliot - RFA, Crombeen - UFA) who are not. You've got 5 rookies (Conacher, Killorn, Panik, Palat, Johnson), all of whose deals expire at the end of 2013-2014, who've shown they belong at this level and another (Brett Connolly), who it's going to be hard to look in the eye and say he hasn't deserved to make the jump next season. It's hard to imagine a Cooper-led team not keeping a big-body capable of fighting, so if Crombeen is let walk as expected, you figure Labrie has a good shot at being re-signed or somebody else will be brought in.

This, folks, is a logjam. It's not a terrible thing, mind you, but something's got to give, even if you don't bring back Crombeen, Pouliot and Labrie. Without dealing anybody, there are options (like buying out Malone, burying a guy like Tyrell or Pyatt in the minors or even sending a kid or two back to Syracuse) but the combinations of which aren't necessarily entirely palatable. With Kucherov set to begin his pro career and Brown probably getting additional seasoning, waiting in the wings in Syracuse next season, you can understand why Yzerman might not be as hesitant to pull the trigger on a deal that ships off one of the kids as some of you here seem to be.

Last edited:

ultra63

Feb 27, 2008
I do not think SFY will trade for a goalie. It is Lindback next year playing the majority of the games (65 +/- 5) and Garon/Desjardins/Janus as the backup.

It seems unlikely that Lindback will be a workhorse for health and injury reasons

Tampacuseforever

Nov 3, 2012
There's a lot of wild speculation surrounding what might have been, at the most, Yzerman making a general inquiry about Miller.

If there's any actual legs to this and talks pick up traction be it now or in the off-season, it is highly unlikely a) Buffalo unloads Miller for a pittance or B) that Miller won't garner a significant return. You have to ignore the fact that only 1-year remains on Miller's deal; if Regier is dead-set on moving Miller, he would want to engineer a trade that would maximize the return for Buffalo, thus, striking a deal with a team that Miller is not only amenable to playing for but also signing an extension with. Regier would have every reason to want to allow a serious trade partner to gauge Miller's interest in extending with them, if not outright negotiating the framework of an extension.

This is partly why, IF a deal between Tampa Bay and Buffalo were to come to pass, that the haul Buffalo would receive including at least one of the likes of Conacher (Canisius College connection), Killorn, Connolly, Panik or even Kucherov (extremely high ceiling, Grigorenko connection) isn't just some far-fetched notion but actually plausible. I will say that I think that, of the bunch, Killorn's the closest to untouchable, the least likely to be moved.

The other part of this is Tampa Bay's contractual situation at forward presently and moving forward. TB has 10 forwards with 1-ways deals this season, 8 of whom (Lecavalier, Stamkos, St. Louis, Malone, Purcell, Thompson, Tyrell, Pyatt) are on the docket for next season and 2 (Pouliot - RFA, Crombeen - UFA) who are not. You've got 5 rookies (Conacher, Killorn, Panik, Palat, Johnson), all of whose deals expire at the end of 2013-2014, who've shown they belong at this level and another (Brett Connolly), who it's going to be hard to look in the eye and say he hasn't deserved to make the jump next season. It's hard to imagine a Cooper-led team not keeping a big-body capable of fighting, so if Crombeen is let walk as expected, you figure Labrie has a good shot at being re-signed or somebody else will be brought in.

This, folks, is a logjam. It's not a terrible thing, mind you, but something's got to give, even if you don't bring back Crombeen, Pouliot and Labrie. Without dealing anybody, there are options (like buying out Malone, burying a guy like Tyrell or Pyatt in the minors or even sending a kid or two back to Syracuse) but the combinations of which aren't necessarily entirely palatable. With Kucherov set to begin his pro career and Brown probably getting additional seasoning, waiting in the wings in Syracuse next season, you can understand why Yzeman might not be as hesitant to pull the trigger on a deal that ships off one of the kids as some of you here seem to be.

This :handclap: The question is only when, who, and for what. Miller would not be my choice.

bov

Nov 13, 2010
Lindback was acquired to be the #1 guy. I'd be very surprised if Yzerman decides to trade away significant assets in a panic move to get a player like Miller, who would not only further hinder our cap situation, but also put to waste the development plan for Lindback as well as the price we paid to get him from Nashville. If we are truly pursuing a goalie, it will probably be someone who won't cost an arm and leg, won't hurt our cap situation, and be able to play alongside Lindback allowing him to further his development, all the while providing a reliable presence in net. That's why Hiller came to mind, although the situation described above is basically what's happening in Anaheim, so perhaps he's not available.

I don't know the timetable for Lindback's injury, so if it's looking bad, I guess there's a chance we try to land a veteran backup for cheap to help out Garon and allow Desjardins to go back to Syracuse.

Jacko95

Sep 19, 2012
Lindback was acquired to be the #1 guy. I'd be very surprised if Yzerman decides to trade away significant assets in a panic move to get a player like Miller, who would not only further hinder our cap situation, but also put to waste the development plan for Lindback as well as the price we paid to get him from Nashville. If we are truly pursuing a goalie, it will probably be someone who won't cost an arm and leg, won't hurt our cap situation, and be able to play alongside Lindback allowing him to further his development, all the while providing a reliable presence in net. That's why Hiller came to mind, although the situation described above is basically what's happening in Anaheim, so perhaps he's not available.

I don't know the timetable for Lindback's injury, so if it's looking bad, I guess there's a chance we try to land a veteran backup for cheap to help out Garon and allow Desjardins to go back to Syracuse.

I asked Anaheim fans about their goalie situation and they expect, that either will be dealt this draft, because they have NHL ready guys in Anderson and Bobkov and they think it wouldn't beworth losing Hiller next year to UFA, but they could also see Fasth dealt, but I would take him as well. They said Malone and a pick might work for Hiller, as they are thin on the left side.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
Good article on Goalie guild. I really like their stuff. This one before the season started.

As you can see, despite the fact Lindback clearly has terrific upside and a bright future as an NHL starter, it’s important to limit expectations during his first season with Tampa Bay.

If there’s one thing I have learned over the past three years, it’s that there is no one specific reaction to progress and change. Some goalies learn consistently and adjust smoothly, others in spurts and stages, and others seem to make no progress at all until they experience a moment of pure enlightenment.

When Lindback does eventually (or in my opinion, inevitably) experience a breakthrough with the Lightning, he will greatly benefit from a massive boost in confidence. From there, he will move with more ease, he’ll think the game better, and everything from rebound control to timeliness will be seen on a more consistent basis.

But for now, I think it’s smart to expect some inconsistency from Lindback. It’s not going to be an easy transition for him to make, no matter how prepared you may think he feels.

At the same time, learning from Rinne and Korn over the past few seasons is more support than any goalie could ever dream of having. It is truly is a gift, and along with his sheer will and talent, there is plenty to be excited for if you’re a Lightning fan.

http://www.thegoalieguild.com/2012/09/09/understanding-lindbacks-expectations/

Last edited:

LTIR Trickery

Plz stop pucks
Jun 27, 2007
Scrip Club
Whats wrong with getting Luongo, couldn't he just be bought out in 4-5 seasons?

Except it puts us in cap hell now. Then, we have to give up young, cheap assets potentially to get him. Less talent through the pipeline plus cap hell equals low chances of success.

That last post from the goalie guild got me, too. I think Lindback will be fine as he continues to grow and adjust.

Yzlamic Preacher*

This is a recipe for disaster. We need a Vokoun, Miller, Kipper(if he would play). Veteran goalie that can lighten the load from Lindbäck.

FDfranklin

Jan 21, 2013
This is a recipe for disaster. We need a Vokoun, Miller, Kipper(if he would play). Veteran goalie that can lighten the load from Lindbäck.

I agree. With any top 10 goalie this season we would be in playoff position instead of trying to sneak our way in and probably failing. It won't change next season unless Ders really starts to improve.

Edit: Probably any top 20 goalie. So many soft goals let in this season.

Yzlamic Preacher*

No thanks for Kipper. He's terrible now. Voukoun would be a nice pickup if he can be had for cheap.

I agree. With any top 10 goalie this season we would be in playoff position instead of trying to sneak our way in and probably failing. It won't change next season unless Ders really starts to improve.

Edit: Probably any top 20 goalie. So many soft goals let in this season.

Also a mandatory thing we need is a new goalie coach. How does he still have a job?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad