Rumor: Ryan Miller to TB

nhljohnson

Jul 4, 2006
The other part of this is Tampa Bay's contractual situation at forward presently and moving forward. TB has 10 forwards with 1-ways deals this season, 8 of whom (Lecavalier, Stamkos, St. Louis, Malone, Purcell, Thompson, Tyrell, Pyatt) are on the docket for next season and 2 (Pouliot - RFA, Crombeen - UFA) who are not. You've got 5 rookies (Conacher, Killorn, Panik, Palat, Johnson), all of whose deals expire at the end of 2013-2014, who've shown they belong at this level and another (Brett Connolly), who it's going to be hard to look in the eye and say he hasn't deserved to make the jump next season. It's hard to imagine a Cooper-led team not keeping a big-body capable of fighting, so if Crombeen is let walk as expected, you figure Labrie has a good shot at being re-signed or somebody else will be brought in.

This, folks, is a logjam. It's not a terrible thing, mind you, but something's got to give, even if you don't bring back Crombeen, Pouliot and Labrie. Without dealing anybody, there are options (like buying out Malone, burying a guy like Tyrell or Pyatt in the minors or even sending a kid or two back to Syracuse) but the combinations of which aren't necessarily entirely palatable. With Kucherov set to begin his pro career and Brown probably getting additional seasoning, waiting in the wings in Syracuse next season, you can understand why Yzerman might not be as hesitant to pull the trigger on a deal that ships off one of the kids as some of you here seem to be.

From earlier today, but with the added caveat that Crombeen has been extended tonight. Again, logjam.

Jacko95

Sep 19, 2012
From earlier today, but with the added caveat that Crombeen has been extended tonight. Again, logjam.

I really hope SY tries to sell Malone and maybe Purcell. If the kids don't get a chance at the NHL next year, I could very well see them asking for a trade (as Loktionov did) and I would absolutly understand this. I think Pouliot could be on the market as well.

nhljohnson

Jul 4, 2006
I really hope SY tries to sell Malone and maybe Purcell. If the kids don't get a chance at the NHL next year, I could very well see them asking for a trade (as Loktionov did) and I would absolutly understand this. I think Pouliot could be on the market as well.

Malone's the obvious choice to a trade or use an amnesty buyout on during the off-season.

Any other year and Pouliot is probably a lock for an extension (I'd actually like to see him back) but, yeah, he may be a victim of the numbers game, similar to what happened to him in Boston following the 2011-2012 season.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
Pouliot will be re-signed. I think it's time we all say goodbye to Ryan Malone though.

He seems like the guy that really doesn't fit into the picture, and his NMC changes to an NTC in the off-season. It's a shame he's been so unhealthy, he could have snagged a decent price otherwise, but we'll probably be able to get a mid-rounder for him.

2 Weekes Notice

Apr 10, 2012
Non-traditional Land
From EE:

@erlendssonTBO 13m

From what I've heard yes but might just be simply inquiring not discussions "@BeTheThunder93: any validity to the Ryan Miller rumors?"

It's probably nothing too new, but seems like less of a categorical denial RE: Miller Time than what we've been seeing over the past week or so.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
We need to wait to the off season to think about a goaltender. See how the Nucks and Kings do in the playoffs. If Schneider struggles and Luongo does well it might make Schneider available. Same thing with Quick and Bernier, both teams can't afford to keep them both soon.

MattM92

Dec 8, 2010
FL
Can't have Miller. Too much money, and we don't want to give up cheap young kids for him.

Sorry to say but any #1 goalie that is close to as elite as Miller is going to come at that price. If Vas becomes that good, we will be paying him around 6/year.

MattM92

Dec 8, 2010
FL
We need to wait to the off season to think about a goaltender. See how the Nucks and Kings do in the playoffs. If Schneider struggles and Luongo does well it might make Schneider available. Same thing with Quick and Bernier, both teams can't afford to keep them both soon.

Because getting another unproven guy with potential is exactly what we need :shakehead

MattM92

Dec 8, 2010
FL
Schneider is pretty proven by now, Bernier is started to prove he's pretty good and we all now what Quick can do.

Luongo was down and out in Vancouver and Schneider had the #1 spot locked up and he lost it like 10 games in. Quick is staying, he won them a Cup and Bernier is not proven. I am firmly against giving away more assets for another unproven guy. If we are trading for a goalie and giving up valuable assets, I want a proven #1 goalie. I understand that's easier said than done but there's one on the block right now.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Luongo was down and out in Vancouver and Schneider had the #1 spot locked up and he lost it like 10 games in. Quick is staying, he won them a Cup and Bernier is not proven. I am firmly against giving away more assets for another unproven guy. If we are trading for a goalie and giving up valuable assets, I want a proven #1 goalie. I understand that's easier said than done but there's one on the block right now.

Schneider has rebounded well from his slow start and is playing like a #1. Bernier is outplaying Quick, the goalie with the worst stats is Miller.
If we are trading quality assets I'd want someone younger and who has a better contract situation.

MattM92

Dec 8, 2010
FL
Schneider has rebounded well from his slow start and is playing like a #1. Bernier is outplaying Quick, the goalie with the worst stats is Miller.
If we are trading quality assets I'd want someone younger and who has a better contract situation.

Miller is making 6.25 for one year. Really everyone? You're acting like it's 7 million dollars for a backup goaltender.

Butchered

I'm with Kuch
Apr 30, 2004
Miller is making 6.25 for one year. Really everyone? You're acting like it's 7 million dollars for a backup goaltender.

Not really worth it. One thing I've noticed about some of the Tampa fans on these boards is that they have an almost obsessive love of the young players in the organization and would rather suffer through more years of garbage goaltending (hoping Vas will be ready then) than giving up a kid who may never do anything in the league.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
It's not that. We have sick forward depth, and we should use that to fill an area of need. I think getting someone to replace Brewer is more important than a goalie, personally, because I think Lindback is close to being a legit #1, but I understand the difference of opinion.

And pretty much everyone is open to the prospect (heh) of getting Miller, but it's pointless to debate right now since we have no clue what the asking price is. And putting a ton of assets into a rental when we're not ready to compete is not how you build a long-term contender. Any deal involving Miller has to include either a) a contract extension or b) not a hefty price.

Stammer Time*

Sons of Pirates
Dec 6, 2003
St.Pete, Florida
Not really worth it. One thing I've noticed about some of the Tampa fans on these boards is that they have an almost obsessive love of the young players in the organization and would rather suffer through more years of garbage goaltending (hoping Vas will be ready then) than giving up a kid who may never do anything in the league.

It's a by product of going years without really developing any prospect of note.

MattM92

Dec 8, 2010
FL

A top 5 goalie in the league is not worth 6.25 million?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad