Salary Cap: Pens Salary Thread: Pens Ownership "Dubas... that Coca-Cola machine. I want you to shoot the lock off it. There may be some waiver players in there."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
Lekk
Hoglander
Bad contract (Mikheyev or whoever idc)

isn’t necessarily a ridiculous haul and doesn’t include any picks but is something I’d definitely be happy with.

I’d also prefer the Pens finish outside the top 10 and just lose their pick this year. Don’t think it’s a good draft and I don’t want a San Jose or Ottawa next year situation with the core a year older.

That would be quite good. Now all of a sudden you could have Lekkerimaki, Hoglander, O’Connor and Puustinen as young fwds on the team next season.

Trade

Guentzel is ELITE
Apr 13, 2015
Lekk
Hoglander
Bad contract (Mikheyev or whoever idc)

isn’t necessarily a ridiculous haul and doesn’t include any picks but is something I’d definitely be happy with.

I’d also prefer the Pens finish outside the top 10 and just lose their pick this year. Don’t think it’s a good draft and I don’t want a San Jose or Ottawa next year situation with the core a year older.
Agreed that a first from a contender would be absolutely useless for us at this point.

Mikheyev’s got whipping boy status in Van right now, but I was interested in him as a FA (before seeing what he signed for).

Two younger roster players and a potential star sounds about as good of a haul as can get if we’re simply trying to re-tool.

Reactions: CheckingLineCenter

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA

Vegas honestly has more appealing pieces to me than Vancouver, assuming Vancouver wouldn't trade Lekkerimaki for Guentzel. Vegas has Brisson as the main piece, but I also like Dorofeyev as another target.

I think you could probably pull off Brisson, Dorofeyev, a 2024 1st and a 2024 2nd for Guentzel from Vegas. I know it's "LET'S PLAY THE RUSSIAN WITH MALKIN", but slide Dorofeyev onto Malkin's line and have Malkin be a mentor for him. Also Brisson's dad is Crosby's agent, which makes another funny connection to me.

Maninthebox87

Dec 5, 2014
PA
Not sure if this would be doable or not but maybe a 3 way trade with Anaheim or straight up possibly to somehow get Zegras if the rumors he’s available are true. Maybe we trade Guentzel,Anaheim trades us Zegras and 3rd team gets Guentzel and Anaheim gets that 3rd teams 1st round pick . I think there would need to be a few more moving pieces all away around but I like that as a foundation.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
I think if they end up with a top-10 pick they get to choose whether to punt it to next year or send it to SJS this year, right?

Either way, I don't know that Sid's gonna be at this level next season so there's a very legit chance this team's pick next year is a better pick than this year. This team would be f***ing abysmal without Sid, man. :laugh:

Regardless of where they end up they should almost certainly give SJS this year's pick imo.

Also, this is f***ing bonkers and Dubas should be working the phones to fleece somebody for Petts. (No, I don't care about losing Petts. This team sucks and it's time to pull the plug.)

If we are picking top 10, you roll the dice and give SJS the 2025 1st. Ideally, you try to work a 2025 1st in a package for Jake or whoever else we send out.

There are some solid gets at 1-10 this year. Finishing 10 gives you a 5% chance at 1-3 OV as well. If you snag a guy like Cayden Lindstrom, you do it and worry about next year, next year. If at 10, I'm in the Tij Iginla boat.

Thinking about 2025, if they "fix" the powerplay and we get similar performances from everyone else while making a change or two, we're in the playoffs.

Not sure if this would be doable or not but maybe a 3 way trade with Anaheim or straight up possibly to somehow get Zegras if the rumors he’s available are true. Maybe we trade Guentzel,Anaheim trades us Zegras and 3rd team gets Guentzel and Anaheim gets that 3rd teams 1st round pick . I think there would need to be a few more moving pieces all away around but I like that as a foundation.
I don't think Zegras is the type of player we should be adding at the price he might command. Can't see him working with Sully well.

Reactions: Buddy Bizarre

Malkinstheman

Aug 12, 2012
I was curious to see what our traded 1sts since 2013 turned into and damn, not a pretty list.

2013 1st: Klimchuck
2015 1st: Barzal (To be fair, this was a generational draft and Boston are morons)
2016 1st: Steel
2017 1st: Kostin
2018 1st: Bernard-Docker
2020 1st: Amirov (RIP)
2021 1st : Lambos

Feel like it would be a similar list for most teams that get 1sts for rentals. Give me one good prospect and a bunch of 2nds/3rds instead. Quantity is king when it comes to picks.

Reactions: Turin

Maninthebox87

Dec 5, 2014
PA
I don't think Zegras is the type of player we should be adding at the price he might command. Can't see him working with Sully well.
I haven’t watched too many Ducks games so I’m not familiar with his style of play really just saw he’s a two time 20 goal scorer and is only 22. I just know that he is signed I believe for 2 more years after this one and would be a young guy to potentially put as the 2C.

Pens1566

Aug 2, 2005
WV
I was curious to see what our traded 1sts since 2013 turned into and damn, not a pretty list.

2013 1st: Klimchuck
2015 1st: Barzal (To be fair, this was a generational draft and Boston are morons)
2016 1st: Steel
2017 1st: Kostin
2018 1st: Bernard-Docker
2020 1st: Amirov (RIP)
2021 1st : Lambos

Feel like it would be a similar list for most teams that get 1sts for rentals. Give me one good prospect and a bunch of 2nds/3rds instead. Quantity is king when it comes to picks.

I'd like to see a list of 5-8 or players that were still available at each of those spots, and that were projected to be in that range as a better gauge of "what could have been".

Not interested in some 4th rounder that completely blew the curve ...

Dennis Reynolds

I have to have my tools!
Jun 10, 2011
Paddy's Pub
Yeah, for me the top trading partner is Vegas. A lot of fantastic assets there. I'd rank Dallas next, and then Vancouver. I'd rank the Oilers as this team's 31st-best trading partner.

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
The more I think about it the more I feel that Guentzel being dealt is better for the team, assuming he brings back good value. If he doesn’t then this is a moot point obviously.

But him being gone forces the status quo to change both in the top six and the powerplay. That’s a pretty important thing, and it opens the door for Crosby to play with younger players which he always excels in. It’s not good for the team for Jake exiting his early 20’s to be stapled to Sid and PP1.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
-Guentzel to Vegas for Brisson, Dorofeyev and a 2024 1st
-Rakell to Nashville for Sissons and a 2024 4th
-Smith to Florida for Lorentz and a 2024 3rd

Brisson-Crosby-Rust
O'Connor-Malkin-Dorofeyev
Bemstrom-Sissons-Puustinen
Nieto-Eller-Acciari

It might not be outstandingly good, but it's sure as hell young with a bunch of cap space available in the off-season. I'd be trying to sign another top-6 winger to play with Malkin and Dorofeyev this off-season, which would push O'Connor to L3 and end up with O'Connor-Sissons-Bemstrom as their 3rd line. Brisson-Crosby-Rust already looks good to me.

Liberty Biberty

Nov 15, 2010
I dont hate a return of a 1st, Hoglander, and Mikheyev (cap reasons) for Jake as long as Smith is moved out somewhere. Smith out+ Carter retiring opens up 8.5 mil in cap space this offseason with this current signed lineup:

Hoglander-Sid-Rust/X
Mikheyev-Geno-X/Rust
DOC-Eller-Rakell
Nieto-Acciari-Pulju

Petts-Letang
Graves-Karlsson
Ludvig-X

Jarry
X

Even more room can open up if you someone gives an offer you cant refuse on Jarry or Petts.

Pens1566

Aug 2, 2005
WV
Those are interesting lineups. Especially if you're in the market to bring Guentzel back in FA ...

Dennis Reynolds

I have to have my tools!
Jun 10, 2011
Paddy's Pub
-Guentzel to Vegas for Brisson, Dorofeyev and a 2024 1st
-Rakell to Nashville for Sissons and a 2024 4th
-Smith to Florida for Lorentz and a 2024 3rd

Brisson-Crosby-Rust
O'Connor-Malkin-Dorofeyev
Bemstrom-Sissons-Puustinen
Nieto-Eller-Acciari

It might not be outstandingly good, but it's sure as hell young with a bunch of cap space available in the off-season. I'd be trying to sign another top-6 winger to play with Malkin and Dorofeyev this off-season, which would push O'Connor to L3 and end up with O'Connor-Sissons-Bemstrom as their 3rd line. Brisson-Crosby-Rust already looks good to me.
lol Sissons? WTF? Why? He's not helping this team get any younger.

And Lorentz? You didn't even put him in your lineup.

Reactions: Andy99

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
lol Sissons? WTF? Why? He's not helping this team get any younger.

And Lorentz? You didn't even put him in your lineup.

Lorentz is included for cap purposes. The Rakell for Sissons swap has them swapping a fairly paid 2RW for a fairly paid 3C, which also pushes Eller to L4.

A 30 year old in a position of strength (which would be wingers if you got Brisson and Dorofeyev) for a 30 year old in a position of weakness (3C) seems totally logical to me.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
I think I would prefer a trade around Leki+Hoglander rather than get a first back. I don't know why, but late firsts traded in rental trades just seems cursed to me. Almost feels likes 2nd rounds picks are better to have than pick 24-32. I'd much rather get a D+1/D+2 player.
I think adding 1st rounder not only is a practical means to end but signifies a philosophical change. Which is That we're not gonna jettison future assets for the foreseeable future and in fact add picks, and go with a youth movement around the core. Besides, if you get two or even three in a given draft you might be able to maneuver moving up for a higher pick.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
I keyed in on two players last night: Hoglander and Mikheyev. To be honest, I thought both had decent games. Mikheyev played with more speed than I thought and Hoglander is just all around solid player. If we get either back in a package for Jake, I'd be happy I think. More so with Hoglander but I might be as bitter with Mikheyev as I first thought.

I'm going to assume that we keep both Rust and Rakell. Jake and Smith can go. I'm okay running DOC-Malkin-Puustinen. That leaves the third line next year and that needs to be the focus of the short-term asset we get for Jake. So Hogs or Miks would fit well I think. With the prospects we have, Bemstrom, and others available in FA, I think the focus then should shift to 3C in hope that we can find a more offensive-minded 3C to push Eller to 4C.

Rakell-Sid-Rust
DOC-Malkin-Puustinen
Mikheyev-Yager-Bemstrom
Nieto-Eller-Acciari

would be a solid forward group moving forward. Ideally, you could send out one of Nieto-Eller-Acciari, push Bemstrom down, and insert a guy like Lekkerimaki.
Mikeyev is gonna be 30 I think. Hoglander at least is only 23. If we're to get young Hoglander and a 1st pretty much fills the bill there.

Guentzel if he wants to sure or be aggressive in the Reinhart front. It's a D that needs to go with our cap issue, Graves or Letang
Graves has negative value and Letang isn't going anywhere.

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
Agreed that a first from a contender would be absolutely useless for us at this point.

Mikheyev’s got whipping boy status in Van right now, but I was interested in him as a FA (before seeing what he signed for).

Two younger roster players and a potential star sounds about as good of a haul as can get if we’re simply trying to re-tool.
Tbf, I buy that VAN is a one season wonder so an unprotected ‘25 1st from the Canucks is legitimately appealing. But the dice roll isn’t worth more than Willander or Lekkeremaki (sorry if I butchered spelling). if that makes sense.

Thats probably my favorite pick to acquire on the market, out of reasonable suitors for Jake in ‘24 or ‘25.

But yeah, I don’t really give AF about a 2024 pick in the 20s. Give me the young pros/current prospects.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad