NHL on Disney Channel

Kirk Van Houten

May 7, 2019
News: Brian Anderson, NHL-Disney, LIV Golf and more

The Disney Channel and DisneyXD will carry a special animated simulast of the March 14 Capitals-Rangers NHL regular season game, it was announced Tuesday. While traditional coverage will air on ESPN and ESPN+, the Disney networks will air a version of the broadcast in which players and teams are animated in real-time to resemble characters from the Disney cartoon “Big City Greens.”

DisneyXD has simulcast the Pro Bowl in recent years, but the Disney Channel has not previously carried a live sporting event. ESPN previously aired an NBA simulcast with Marvel-themed animation, but that only aired on the regular ESPN channels.

KevFu

May 22, 2009
Phoenix from Rochester via New Orleans
I watched a bit of it on ESPN+ just to see what it was like. I'm hoping what I saw wasn't what kids saw on the Disney Channel.

You need a kids broadcast, and that wasn't it. It needs to be a City Greens special where they play hockey and show kids the sport... and "this is a real hockey game being played, you're just seeing cartoons do it instead of real people."

Instead, I saw an ESPN broadcast as cartoons.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
I watched a bit of it on ESPN+ just to see what it was like. I'm hoping what I saw wasn't what kids saw on the Disney Channel.

You need a kids broadcast, and that wasn't it. It needs to be a City Greens special where they play hockey and show kids the sport... and "this is a real hockey game being played, you're just seeing cartoons do it instead of real people."

A kids broadcast wouldn't have worked since you'll run into issues with child labor laws.

Reaser

May 19, 2021

I don't know why people fall for the selling point of these being for kids or that kids are exclusively watching?

Just like the NFL games on Nickelodeon, it's adults that are watching.

Just like everyone else, when I was a kid I didn't need to watch the X-Men play hockey for me to become a hockey fan or Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles to pop-up on screen during a NFL game for me to become a football fan.

People watching the Big City Greens Classic tonight were adults. With a smaller subcategory of adults watching with their kids -- who probably liked it because it basically looked like a video game.

As for what it was, it was fine. Adults that are into these type of alternate broadcasts seemingly enjoyed it. Adults that aren't into these type of gimmicky broadcasts checked it out and seemingly a majority had an "eh, it's actually not that bad" reaction.

Considering the NHL was involved, and their track record, it turning into an embarrassment or something to be mocked was always possible, but it didn't reach that level, at all. Got a "not as bad as I thought it'd be" from some adults, and was entertaining to the other adults. Throw in some adults with their kids where one or both parties enjoyed and there ya go. A success.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
Watched it for a few minutes. Was entertained for a couple shifts but the novelty faded and I changed the channel.

Oh well, clearly not meant for me.

NFL broadcasts on Nickelodeon, that’s another story.

IU Hawks fan

They call me IU
Dec 30, 2008
NW Burbs

I don't understand your point. Is the bold not what happened?

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
We are not the target demographics this was intended for.

I thought it was great idea to draw in kids. I had the animated game and regular game on the same time. After syncing both the games, I was amazed by how accurate it was.

i still enjoyed it despite it not being in the demographics.

Reactions: varsaku

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad