MMA General Discussion and Fight Announcements 11

Status
Not open for further replies.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
As expected the "500 million for bellator" ended up being completely untrue. Sounds like PFL basically just took over Bellator with Viacom keeping a minority stake and it was just a stock swap. Better to have a small share in a business that might make money vs owning more in one that makes nothing. The actual purchase price was probably close to nothing.

In terms of some of the messaging from PFL yesterday.. I think it's an exciting time for the company but how they are going to run this extremely confusing business model with tons of different "promotions" just seems like a poor way of doing things. I did joke in the past that they were dong this so they could hide money where they wanted and I wonder if it's even more true now.

Overall, what a weird year for PFL. They've had an excellent year in terms of things like acquiring Bellator, Jake Paul, Francis Ngannou, Saudi investments, and some other things along the way. But at the end of the day their actual business - making fights that people care about - was shockingly bad. We are really seeing an executive group here that knows how to get deals done but just might not be good at running an MMA organization. We'll see how 2024 goes.

Overall I'm excited for the move though.

Reactions: 16Skippy and Taytro

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
As expected the "500 million for bellator" ended up being completely untrue. Sounds like PFL basically just took over Bellator with Viacom keeping a minority stake and it was just a stock swap. Better to have a small share in a business that might make money vs owning more in one that makes nothing. The actual purchase price was probably close to nothing.

In terms of some of the messaging from PFL yesterday.. I think it's an exciting time for the company but how they are going to run this extremely confusing business model with tons of different "promotions" just seems like a poor way of doing things. I did joke in the past that they were dong this so they could hide money where they wanted and I wonder if it's even more true now.

Overall, what a weird year for PFL. They've had an excellent year in terms of things like acquiring Bellator, Jake Paul, Francis Ngannou, Saudi investments, and some other things along the way. But at the end of the day their actual business - making fights that people care about - was shockingly bad. We are really seeing an executive group here that knows how to get deals done but just might not be good at running an MMA organization. We'll see how 2024 goes.

Overall I'm excited for the move though.
Disagree on it being confusing, they're essentially just running both promos as they were run before, difference being that they now control both and both rosters and the combined pool of fighters can fight for either brand. Pretty much exactly what I was hoping the outcome of this would be

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Disagree on it being confusing, they're essentially just running both promos as they were run before, difference being that they now control both and both rosters and the combined pool of fighters can fight for either brand. Pretty much exactly what I was hoping the outcome of this would be

I have my doubts it will go this smoothly. But, I'll let it play out here and see how it goes.

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013
Sounds a bit convoluted to me, feels like there's better ways to come out of this merger to really create competition for/with ufc.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Sounds a bit convoluted to me, feels like there's better ways to come out of this merger to really create competition for/with ufc.

I'm going to assume there are some contractual/sponsor obligations that they are fulfilling by keeping the Bellator thing going for now.

Because really for the PFL to just run Bellator in Europe and then have a separate "PFL Europe" or whatever they did last year makes no sense otherwise.

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
I'm going to assume there are some contractual/sponsor obligations that they are fulfilling by keeping the Bellator thing going for now.

Because really for the PFL to just run Bellator in Europe and then have a separate "PFL Europe" or whatever they did last year makes no sense otherwise.
The PFL Europe cards are more of a developmental thing for regional prospects. I think the duration for which they run Bellator will depend on how it does, Donn also said that Bellator will have a separate broadcast partner so have to wonder if that's part of the motivation for continuing that brand as well

Reactions: m9

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
I could see Colby dropping to 155lbs if he loses. I think he could make that cut and there are far more interesting fights for him there.
Colby should declare himself the champ at 165lbs, have a belt made up, and challenge the entire UFC roster to come take it from him

Some may scoff at that idea, but it's original (to MMA), it's daring, it would make headlines, and it's exactly what a heel would do...
1-belt1intro_original.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Taytro

Taytro

Oct 22, 2014
Ottawa, Ontario
Colby should declare himself the champ at 165lbs, have a belt made up, and challenge the entire UFC roster to come take it from him

Some may scoff at that idea, but it's original, it's daring, it would make headlines, and it's exactly what a heel would do...
View attachment 772029
I think it's a good idea/storyline but I don't think it's original. A division between 155 and 170 has been discussed for years. If the UFC wanted that it would be a thing by now. Colby blatantly going against Dana is not smart and not going to happen. Dana seems to really like Colby and Colby seems like a company man who is getting rewarded with an underserved title shot for it.

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
I think it's a good idea/storyline but I don't think it's original. A division between 155 and 170 has been discussed for years. If the UFC wanted that it would be a thing by now. Colby blatantly going against Dana is not smart and not going to happen. Dana seems to really like Colby and Colby seems like a company man who is getting rewarded with an underserved title shot for it.
It would be original to MMA, unless you can name another fighter who named himself the champ of a self-created division

Also, Dana is in the promotion business. He knows what sells fights, and Colby declaring himself king of the new 165lbs division - regardless of whether or not it's officially recognized by the UFC - would create buzz, and get fans interested in the fight

It's really no different than the meaningless BMF belt

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010

Some may scoff at that idea, but it's original (to MMA), it's daring, it would make headlines, and it's exactly what a heel would do...
View attachment 772029

It would be original to MMA, unless you can name another fighter who named himself the champ of a self-created division

Also, Dana is in the promotion business. He knows what sells fights, and Colby declaring himself king of the new 165lbs division - regardless of whether or not it's officially recognized by the UFC - would create buzz, and get fans interested in the fight

It's really no different than the meaningless BMF belt

It's a funny suggestion mostly because I do think 165lb & 175lb titles make more sense than what they currently do.

I think the way to pull it off would be for him to actually cut to 165lbs for a fight and then win that fight. Like if he loses go Edwards then just go fight Luque or someone and weigh in at 165lbs, win, and then go down this road.

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
It's a funny suggestion mostly because I do think 165lb & 175lb titles make more sense than what they currently do.

I think the way to pull it off would be for him to actually cut to 165lbs for a fight and then win that fight. Like if he loses go Edwards then just go fight Luque or someone and weigh in at 165lbs, win, and then go down this road.
Simply cutting to 165 doesn't carry the same weight as declaring oneself the champion of the division that you created

You know who might be interested in a fight at 165lbs for Colby's homemade belt?

Mr. McGregor

Colby and Conor are arguably the 2 biggest personalities in the UFC, and the lead up to that fight would be ridiculous!

Bunk Moreland

Mar 16, 2010
Long Island
Hellllll yeah. Was starting to worry they wouldn't come back to the Pond while I was still working there. I'll be putting in my floor request at tomorrow's Ducks game, 270 is still to this day far and away my favorite event that I worked. And it won't be hard for 298 to have a better card
I just went back and looked at that card and you're right that card was very top heavy. Outside the title fights cool to see Morales and JDM's UFC debuts.

Taytro

Oct 22, 2014
Ottawa, Ontario
Simply cutting to 165 doesn't carry the same weight as declaring oneself the champion of the division that you created

You know who might be interested in a fight at 165lbs for Colby's homemade belt?

Mr. McGregor

Colby and Conor are arguably the 2 biggest personalities in the UFC, and the lead up to that fight would be ridiculous!
The fact that you're saying Colby and Conor are the 2 biggest personalities in the organization already is proof that they don't need to pull a stunt like this to sell a fight. If those two are put together they'll create more than enough buzz to sell the fight than doing a stunt that puts them in Dana's bad books.

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
The fact that you're saying Colby and Conor are the 2 biggest personalities in the organization already is proof that they don't need to pull a stunt like this to sell a fight. If those two are put together they'll create more than enough buzz to sell the fight than doing a stunt that puts them in Dana's bad books.
First off, you're making an assumption that it would put them in Dana's bad books. I disagree. As I said, Dana knows about promotion, and he would recognize the genius in Colby declaring himself the champ at 165lbs

Secondly, declaring himself the champ at 165lbs would only serve to increase the likelihood that McGregor would take the fight

Taytro

Oct 22, 2014
Ottawa, Ontario
First off, you're making an assumption that it would put them in Dana's bad books. I disagree. As I said, Dana knows about promotion, and he would recognize the genius in Colby declaring himself the champ at 165lbs

Secondly, declaring himself the champ at 165lbs would only serve to increase the likelihood that McGregor would take the fight
This just tells me you know nothing about the organization and about Dana White. It does not increase the likelihood of a McGregor fight because I'd Dana wanted it, he'd put it together now. He's a smart guy. And he's been asked and been open about a 165lb division so one of his fighters forcing his hand about that would probably annoy him. Especially a fighter where he's gift wrapped some high profile fights already. Dana doesn't do the games or liked to be over ruled/pressured. Pretty well known that he wouldn't appreciate this stunt. He can make a big fight without being forced into a making a new division.

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
This just tells me you know nothing about the organization and about Dana White. It does not increase the likelihood of a McGregor fight because I'd Dana wanted it, he'd put it together now. He's a smart guy. And he's been asked and been open about a 165lb division so one of his fighters forcing his hand about that would probably annoy him. Especially a fighter where he's gift wrapped some high profile fights already. Dana doesn't do the games or liked to be over ruled/pressured. Pretty well known that he wouldn't appreciate this stunt. He can make a big fight without being forced into a making a new division.
I stopped reading after the bolded line

• Haha
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad