MMA General Discussion and Fight Announcements 11

Status
Not open for further replies.

Taytro

Oct 22, 2014
Ottawa, Ontario

No competition other then Colby? He's fought no one, every other ranked fighter has fought more currently ranked welterweights than Leon has... EXCEPT COLBY. The two guys fighting for the title haven't experience any of the other ranked fighters in division except Usman.

Leon fought Belal for a few minutes to a no contest, and Luque 7 years ago but beyond that neither of these guys has fought anyone in this division. This division is fresh for both of them, they just don't want to fight in it.

I am not exposed

Mar 16, 2014
Vancouver
No competition after Covington at 170. Give me a break. Covington isn't even the rightful contender in the first place.

Covington's biggest coup is that he lost to Usman. Twice. But because one fight was fairly close, he milks that he should be the rightful contender. Utter joke. Don't know why UFC loves this guy so much. Does he get big PPV numbers? I don't think so.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Covington's biggest coup is that he lost to Usman. Twice. But because one fight was fairly close, he milks that he should be the rightful contender. Utter joke. Don't know why UFC loves this guy so much. Does he get big PPV numbers? I don't think so.

I don't know if he's selling a bunch of extra PPVs but I can certainly say that Edwards/Colby is a legit PPV headliner while Edwards/Belal would probably be stuck co-headlining something. I'm not saying Colby deserves the fight at all - he doesn't - but he's certainly a bigger draw then the other options.

Reactions: I am not exposed

I am not exposed

Mar 16, 2014
Vancouver
I don't know if he's selling a bunch of extra PPVs but I can certainly say that Edwards/Colby is a legit PPV headliner while Edwards/Belal would probably be stuck co-headlining something. I'm not saying Colby deserves the fight at all - he doesn't - but he's certainly a bigger draw then the other options.

Yeah you're probably right. Belal is the rightful contender. He's on winning streak of 5. And the NC was against Leon. But he's not exciting and doesn't sell. Hopefully Edwards wins so we don't get a Colby title shot ever again.

Reactions: 16Skippy and m9

16Skippy

Sep 12, 2009
Yeah you're probably right. Belal is the rightful contender. He's on winning streak of 5. And the NC was against Leon. But he's not exciting and doesn't sell. Hopefully Edwards wins so we don't get a Colby title shot ever again.
You know what will happen...Edwards will beat Colby, Colby will beat someone like Thompson and then get another title shot lol

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
You know what will happen...Edwards will beat Colby, Colby will beat someone like Thompson and then get another title shot lol

I could see Colby dropping to 155lbs if he loses. I think he could make that cut and there are far more interesting fights for him there.

Taytro

Oct 22, 2014
Ottawa, Ontario
I could see Colby dropping to 155lbs if he loses. I think he could make that cut and there are far more interesting fights for him there.
He's fought once a year in the last 3 years (4 including 2023). At 36 it gets really hard to take an extra 15lbs off, especially to fight once a year, and especially for a non title fight (he loses to Leon he doesn't get an immediate shot at Islam) It's definitely something he should have done earlier in his career though.

Bunk Moreland

Mar 16, 2010
Long Island
Once again PFL missing the mark with the pricing of this event. As stupid as it is at $19.99-$24.99 I'm probably like whatever I'll buy it but I'm not paying $50 for their product. I figure they'd grow their promotion and probably make more money lowering the price. Guess I'll find other ways to watch.

Reactions: Taytro

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Once again PFL missing the mark with the pricing of this event. As stupid as it is at $19.99-$24.99 I'm probably like whatever I'll buy it but I'm not paying $50 for their product. I figure they'd grow their promotion and probably make more money lowering the price. Guess I'll find other ways to watch.

This PFL season was pretty weak in general. Honestly I have no interest in this card at all, wouldn't pay $10 for it.

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
This PFL season was pretty weak in general. Honestly I have no interest in this card at all, wouldn't pay $10 for it.
They did a much worse job of filling out the card this year too, outside of the title fights really only Brunson/Cooper is of interest to me. Kayla should crush Ladd easily and the first two installments of Wade/Bubba were not fun fights, don’t even have any thoughts on the rest. Though I am interested in a few of the title fights (OAM/Collard, Pinedo/Braga 2, Impa/Silveira), nothing worth paying $50 for

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
The PFL/Bellator deal appears to be done.

They've said that they are running both promotions separately but will "share" fighters. Not really sure how this will work or if it's a temp thing but I'd much prefer they just went all-in under the PFL banner. Not sure why they would do it this way unless they need to fulfill contracts a certain way.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Oh okay, if they are just doing some of Euro Bellator thing then that's fine. Makes more sense, though I still don't understand why they wouldn't just incorporate that into their own European stuff.

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
1700503831611.png

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
Donn Davis on MMA hour clarifies will run 8 events a year under the Bellator banner. All of Bellator’s contracts have been absorbed and all fighters under both Bellator and PFL are in the same pool. Bellator will be the one off brand and PFL will be the tournaments. Will give all fighters the choice between fighting under the PFL or Bellator brands. Bellator guys will likely fight twice a year and each card will have 2 title fights. 6-7 of the 8 will be outside of the US and the PFLs season will stay in the US. Each will likely have a different television partner which will be announced soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad