Post-Game Talk: Johnny BE Quick. 3-0 Kings

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
The Beezer and Frank Brimsek are both tied with 40.

Quick 39
Barrasso 38
Ryan Miller 36
Craig Anderson and Tim Thomas 31
Guy Hebert 28
Mike Karakas 28
Mike Richter 24

just read that on lainsider.
I am surprised Richter had only 24, and even more surprised where Hebert is on this list.

PJ Kings Hockey

Oct 15, 2013
Prior to the Los Angeles Kings 3-0 victory over the Montreal Canadiens at the Bell Centre in Montreal, yours truly was a guest on Montreal Hockey Talk's pre-game show, talking about the Kings heading into the game.

We talked about Anze Kopitar, Milan Lucic, Jonathan Quick, Tyler Toffoli, and more, including how local hockey has grown so much in California, specifically, Southern California.

To listen to the "Behind Enemy Lines" segment of the show, go to...

LISTEN: Frozen Royalty On Montreal Hockey Talk Radio: Pre-Game, LA Kings vs. Canadiens

Thanks, Gann. I make a point of listening to these interviews. Nice mention of local youth hockey at the end. Also, nice touch with the effusive praise for Lucic. Those Montreal guys loved that.

kingsboy11

Maestro
Dec 14, 2011
USA
The thing about Weal is that he can show brief flashes, but he tries to do too much. One thing that I have noticed in almost all his games is that when he's trying to get the puck out of the zone at the blue line is that he tries to chip the puck against the boards and tries to go around the opposing player and use his speed and size to get around, but it has failed almost every time and it almost always leads to another scoring opportunity. He needs to simplify his game in the defensive zone.

At every level that Weal has played at he's always had adjust to the new level of play and he always figured it out. It's still too early to write him off yet I think.

Ron*

Agree with most. Quick was a star of the game, but that was a Terry Murray shot mentality special 45 shots by Montreal.

Kevin Weekes had some nice comments on NHL Tonight about Quick. It's no secret he's a fan of Quick but his partner asked where Quick ranked among Price, Lundqvist and Holtby and he said "with the money on the line, I'll take Quick". Said he's a proven big game goaltender. Modern day Fuhr.

Corey Hirsch said the same exact thing on Hockey Central this morning and got **** from the other two: example is Mario Lessard was at the top of his game in a 7-6 win. :laugh: I understand why people qualify there answers when it comes to Quick because Price > Lundqvist > Quick in the regular season. But the reality is Quick got it done twice in the Finals and Lundqvist didn't his one chance and Price still hasn't made it to the Final.

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
The thing about Weal is that he can show brief flashes, but he tries to do too much. One thing that I have noticed in almost all his games is that when he's trying to get the puck out of the zone at the blue line is that he tries to chip the puck against the boards and tries to go around the opposing player and use his speed and size to get around, but it has failed almost every time and it almost always leads to another scoring opportunity. He needs to simplify his game in the defensive zone.

At every level that Weal has played at he's always had adjust to the new level of play and he always figured it out. It's still too early to write him off yet I think.

It sure seemed like Toronto was all over Weal last year. I wonder if there could be a deal there for Bozak. Obviously cap or retention would need to be added. Just saying as a basis

cali101

Nov 23, 2014
He needs to simplify his game in the defensive zone.

maybe it's a confidence thing or he's trying to do something special to earn some more time on ice? dunno. it's learning curve though.

true, that. it's weird how he's on a shorter leash than some rookies are/have been. i wonder if it's coz he's... well, shorter. last night, while the habs had 5 players under 6 foot on their roster, weal was literally the only one on the kings' roster under 6 foot in the game. boston have 6 players under 6 foot, many other teams do too. kings clearly favor size tho, given the emphasis on defense. mersch has played all games since he's been brought up, and on 2nd line, 3rd line, with pp time etc, and he's had at least 1 giveaway, a few shots on goal, a few hits but he hasn't looked astounding to me. he's definitely not the finest skater out there for a top line forward. but he's being given a great shot. not that he hasn't earned it coz he has been great in the ahl.

Frolov 6'3

Unregistered User
Jun 7, 2003
The Netherlands
Mersch' skating is absolute dreadful but his positioning is great. He knows where to be, so he doesnt need to skate much. He's always standing in skating lines. Thats hockey sense.

Hopefully he can work on his skating in the off season.

Quattro

Aug 5, 2005
I could totally picture Quick's dry wit say this.

I was thinking the same thing while watching. It seemed like the Kings would go on an extended period of pressure and tally 1 or 2 shots and then the Habs would be in the Kings zone for 15 seconds and their shot total went up by 5. :laugh:

Did anyone else notice the Habs fans streaming up the aisles with like 2 minutes left, with the Habs applying heavy pressure with the 6 on 4? I couldn't believe it. Not to mention the relentless boos raining down for the last few minutes of the game. I know getting shutout sucks but, damn, the Habs were playing pretty well.

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
I was thinking the same thing while watching. It seemed like the Kings would go on an extended period of pressure and tally 1 or 2 shots and then the Habs would be in the Kings zone for 15 seconds and their shot total went up by 5. :laugh:

Did anyone else notice the Habs fans streaming up the aisles with like 2 minutes left, with the Habs applying heavy pressure with the 6 on 4? I couldn't believe it. Not to mention the relentless boos raining down for the last few minutes of the game. I know getting shutout sucks but, damn, the Habs were playing pretty well.

I didn't notice the fans leaving but did hear the boos. They were the more dominant team, games like that happen. Definitely did not deserve to be boo'd. Probably has more to do with the lack of goal scoring over the last few games as opposed to last nights effort.

cyclones22

Apr 4, 2003
Eastvale
Corey Hirsch said the same exact thing on Hockey Central this morning and got **** from the other two: example is Mario Lessard was at the top of his game in a 7-6 win. :laugh: I understand why people qualify there answers when it comes to Quick because Price > Lundqvist > Quick in the regular season. But the reality is Quick got it done twice in the Finals and Lundqvist didn't his one chance and Price still hasn't made it to the Final.

Price has been nothing special in the playoffs to date, other than his owning of the Bruins, which I think he does in the regular season as well. Hank has comparable numbers to Quick career-wise in the playoffs, but he also plays in the JV league and tried to stare down Quick three times in OTs in the SCF and blinked every single time.

mrkolice

May 26, 2014
Ljubljana, Slovenia
how did you like kopitar & lucic in the same line again? i'm still misssing something there, maybe just a click. it wasn't that bad, but if those guys start clicking like their potential suggests they should become a double-chainsaw-nightmare-story for the opponents. when lucic came he was meant for kopi, first of all. i hope it will be solved until the playoffs.

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
how did you like kopitar & lucic in the same line again? i'm still misssing something there, maybe just a click. it wasn't that bad, but if those guys start clicking like their potential suggests they should become a double-chainsaw-nightmare-story for the opponents. when lucic came he was meant for kopi, first of all. i hope it will be solved until the playoffs.

was hard for me to get a read. Play was always in LA's end

kingsfansince1967

Oct 23, 2006
Montreal
Did watch 2 of the 3 periods last night (couldn't for the first having a hockey game of my own to play...)

Jesus Was Quick fast last night!

Must disagree with many comments that have been posted here regarding the Canadiens. As a Montrealer, and being a LAK fan since their arrival in the NHL you cannot imagine how sweet it is when LA beats the Habs and ... a shutout Hallelujah! (Leonard Cohen... Montreal native)

Don't be mistaken though, Montreal is a much better team than last year and Bergevin is in most part responsible. As much as last year, yes it was "Jesus" Price the saviour of many games (close to 50%) the Habs won; as much this year the team has much more depth on their 3rd and 4th lines and they have been playing very good hockey even with their recent slump (exception of one game against the Hurricanes). The absence of Gallagher is IMO more damage than that of Price for their team.

It's been a long long time (1993 we all remember very well...) since their hasn't been a Stanley Cup Parade in the streets of "La Métropole".

More than anyone else here, I would like to see the Habs in the SC Final... to fall to the hands of the Los Angeles Kings!

Boy this team (LA) has really impressed since the 0-3 start and up to now has surpassed my own expectations about Sutter's band. Keep On!

kingsfansince1967

Oct 23, 2006
Montreal
Price has been nothing special in the playoffs to date, other than his owning of the Bruins, which I think he does in the regular season as well.

That is not true. Price was excellent in last year's playoff, the series with TBL was up for grabs and it was mostly because of offensive woes that Montreal did not reach the SC Final.

kingsfansince1967

Oct 23, 2006
Montreal
I didn't notice the fans leaving but did hear the boos. They were the more dominant team, games like that happen. Definitely did not deserve to be boo'd. Probably has more to do with the lack of goal scoring over the last few games as opposed to last nights effort.

Correct. My different "conversations" since last night here with Habs fans that went to the Bell center confirm that they are having headaches trying to sort out the absence of scoring on the part of their team, and not only for last night's game but this slump they are going thru. Si, I guess, it alleviates their headaches to throw some boos in there once and a while...

cyclones22

Apr 4, 2003
Eastvale
That is not true. Price was excellent in last year's playoff, the series with TBL was up for grabs and it was mostly because of offensive woes that Montreal did not reach the SC Final.

Are you sure? He was great against the Sens, but must have been the best .896 save percentage ever against TB. You would rate that special? Which I said his performance was not. Ben Bishop outperformed him and faced more shots and had more saves than him over the series. By that measure, I guess the Rangers could blame their offensive woes for not winning the Cup in 2014 too.

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB

Correct me if I am wrong but he was doing really well the year he got injured as well. Tokarski did an amazing job that year to IMO, and I hate when habs fans talk about how not having price that year is why they got eliminated. I think it is a disservice to what Tokarski did.
Could not believe the kid didn't get claimed earlier this year.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Are you sure? He was great against the Sens, but must have been the best .896 save percentage ever against TB. You would rate that special? Which I said his performance was not. Ben Bishop outperformed him and faced more shots and had more saves than him over the series. By that measure, I guess the Rangers could blame their offensive woes for not winning the Cup in 2014 too.

That was pretty much the narrative because they didn't want to give QUick any credit. They STILL don't. It's still "Lundqvist saved us all series." Just no scoring and various shades of 'cheated by the refs HL deserves better."

gnarls barkley

Mar 16, 2015
Chicago
That was pretty much the narrative because they didn't want to give QUick any credit. They STILL don't. It's still "Lundqvist saved us all series." Just no scoring and various shades of 'cheated by the refs HL deserves better."

i'm convinced that no one will ever give Quick credit for anything unless he goes 2012 all over again for an entire season + playoffs and wins another conn smythe

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
i'm convinced that no one will ever give Quick credit for anything unless he goes 2012 all over again for an entire season + playoffs and wins another conn smythe

his career SP is nothing special. But I have heard a lot of hockey analysts talk on the fan 960 about if they had to start any goalie in a game seven situation who would it be..Quick always comes up.

cyclones22

Apr 4, 2003
Eastvale

On top of that, the 2 toss-up games between TB and Montreal that resulted in TB victories, Bishop made 43 and 30 saves in those games. Price? 33 and 17. Uh huh.

Omni Owl

Mar 9, 2008
his career SP is nothing special. But I have heard a lot of hockey analysts talk on the fan 960 about if they had to start any goalie in a game seven situation who would it be..Quick always comes up.

It kind of goes with the team honestly. Do OK to good during the regular season, and then elevate your game to another level during the playoffs.

Reclamation Project

Cut It All Right In Two
Jul 6, 2011
I know I constantly bring up mental toughness (and I'm sure most on here are probably sick of hearing me say it), but Quick is bulletproof. The bigger the game, the better he plays. And he's always pretty damn good! He's a very special talent that will re-write the history book for Kings goaltenders and American goaltenders.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad