OT: In case you forgot what good goaltending looks like

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Swap out the goalie, a totally replaceable part, and try again next year.
You heard it here first folks! @Bench thinks netminders are just spare parts that can be swapped out at will! No need to draft one at 6 after all!

No context to see here... Move along...

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
That is a fantastic question. Hasek is a f***ing nutter. Fabulous goalie, but a loon if ever there was one

Hasek has more of the personality of an Igor Larionov than an Ed Belfore. "Crazy Eddie's" nick name fit him perfectly. Never heard a "Deranged Dom" nickname before.

Roomba With a Bauer

Sep 11, 2007
Hasek has more of the personality of an Igor Larionov than an Ed Belfore. "Crazy Eddie's" nick name fit him perfectly. Never heard a "Deranged Dom" nickname before.

IIRC, Hasek beat the snot out of some poor guy in a rec league back in the Czech Republic.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
You heard it here first folks! @Bench thinks netminders are just spare parts that can be swapped out at will! No need to draft one at 6 after all!

No context to see here... Move along...

Don't tell all my dirty little secrets. The other secret I don't want people to know is that I think a top line center and defender are indeed more important than any goalie. But try not to spread that one around either. I have an image to maintain.

Reactions: jkutswings

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Okay thanks? Don't choke on a chicken wing I guess. :clittle:

Ay!

tone.jpg

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012

https://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/hasek-may-face-charges-for-in-line-incident-1.365847

This is an excerpt from "Great Detroit Sports Debates", a pretty good book by Terry Foster and Drew Sharp. This about who you'd pick to be your goalie in a game 7 from Red Wings history.
Sharp was being his typical contrarian idiot and went with Vernon for some reason. Terry's thing here.

upload_2021-6-18_20-2-42.png

RabidBadger

Mazur detractors will look like dummies!
Sep 9, 2007
Detroitish
Anyone watching the Habs/Vegas game? Price is continuing his brass-balls swagger and putting on a clinic.

If they make the finals and lose he still has to be in the Conn Smythe conversation ala Hextall.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Anyone watching the Habs/Vegas game? Price is continuing his brass-balls swagger and putting on a clinic.

If they make the finals and lose he still has to be in the Conn Smythe conversation ala Hextall.

Or Jiggy.

Although I'm always afraid of triggering repressed memories saying that name to Wings fans.

RabidBadger

Mazur detractors will look like dummies!
Sep 9, 2007
Detroitish
Or Jiggy.

Although I'm always afraid of triggering repressed memories saying that name to Wings fans.

I get that sentiment, but great performances have to be acknowledged. ¿Que no?

Just to accentuate the point of how a goalie can pull the sled for a team; goalies have been 4 of the 5 Conn Smythe winners on losing teams. Beezer and Hasek could have been added to the list in 96 and 99, respectively.

Bondurant

Jul 4, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona
It would be great to have an elite goalie again. Still need to beef up the blue line but Yzerman is working on that. This could be an optimal year to roll the dice on a goalie. A lot of picks to work with this does not seem like a draft class garnering much excitement aside from the Michigan trio.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Jul 6, 2012
Bryz, you sweet, sweet man. This breaks my heart to hear. Would be lying if I haven't had this same thought just at a much lower level of hockey though.

"When you have terrible goalies, it's no surprise there are so many goals."
"I have zero confidence in myself right now. If you throw a ball instead of a puck, I'm not going to stop it. I'm terrible and I want to apologize in front of the fans, in front of my teammates; and I don't know what's going on. I have no answer for you guys. I thought this last game in Montreal was … nothing's gonna happen worse, but today was even worse.
"We didn't have problems playing the puck on the ice. Not yesterday, not tonight. I just can't stop the puck. It's very simple. You can't ask more from the forwards. They scored eight goals and we're still losing. Obviously it's [a] terrible goalie — it's me.
"They try to play hard, but the bottom line I'm the goalie. I'm the guy who have to try to stop the puck. I couldn't even stop the simple shots."
"I'm lost in the woods right now."

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Jul 6, 2012
I get that sentiment, but great performances have to be acknowledged. ¿Que no?

Just to accentuate the point of how a goalie can pull the sled for a team; goalies have been 4 of the 5 Conn Smythe winners on losing teams. Beezer and Hasek could have been added to the list in 96 and 99, respectively.

Shit, given my druthers, I probably would have given it to Osgood in 2009 as well. If the league had done its job and not gamed the rules... Osgood would have won the 2009 Conn Smythe because the guy who won it in our universe would have been sitting for game 3.

Reactions: Bench

Roomba With a Bauer

Sep 11, 2007
Am I the only one who blames the Wings' goaltending coaches for our lack of success in goal? It seems like Howard and Mrazek both got worse as soon as Salajko came in, and none of our goalie prospects have done well. Mrazek has pretty much only improved since leaving the team, and Howard's career pretty much fell off a cliff once Salajko was hired. I also never had any confidence in Jim Bedard as a coach. I'd kind of like to see the Wings try to lure Allaire out of retirement, or go after his brother.

Reactions: TheClap and Henkka

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Mrazek has pretty much only improved since leaving the team

If you ignore his best full season was actually on the Wings, then yeah, he's done nothing but get better and better. At his current trajectory of improvement he'll be a full time starter again by age 65.

Reactions: Henkka

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
If you ignore his best full season was actually on the Wings, then yeah, he's done nothing but get better and better. At his current trajectory of improvement he'll be a full time starter again by age 65.
Also ignore his play in Philadelphia immediately after being traded.

DetroitRed

Crashes the Crease
Apr 7, 2013
Detroit
I always thought a lot of Lundqvist's popularity came from being New York's goalie.

Hasek was mentioned, have to mention him. But don't forget Osgood! Also, Curtis Joseph in his prime (mostly before we had him).

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
I always thought a lot of Lundqvist's popularity came from being New York's goalie.

He was also their best player most years, so he quickly became the cornerstone of the franchise and fan favorite. He won the Rangers MVP award 9 times. Fastest goalie in NHL history to record 400 wins.

New York is a market that will propel you if you're great, but if you're not up to the task, well... ask Wade Redden.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad