OT: HFPens Community Lounge: Or Ogrezilla and LOGiK's Nerd Thread ;)

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
You know what’s the worst? Black tie events, that aren’t your black tie events, but you still have to spend $100s going to said black tie event. Picking up a tux right now for an event I’d rather skip. :rant:

Reactions: LOGiK and Ogrezilla

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
WELLLLLLL it's built! Pretty much! Almost! Hit one final snag in the spirit of it all... and it goes like:
@Zirakzigil quick quick question.... 4070 super has that connector for older psu's (pcie) so you use a splitter included with the gpu, but that could plug in to the psu with 1 cable. Also, new psu it comes with a 16 pin weird cable, but it has two pcie connectors for the psu... SO what do I do the 16pin fits with 2 pcie, the older pcie cable can connector to the splitter but it only has 1 pcie in to psu, THEN I read nvidia site and it says USE TWO INDIVIDUAL PCIE CABLES TO THE CONNECTOR AND PSU... so the 16pin that comes with the psu and has two pcie go into the psu.
I just wanted to check with someone on this because i was expecting to finish on the last cable, not hit another snag.
@Ogrezilla Just got word of grand mums hospitalization for the (second) hip... she woke up from surgery and she has no idea she broke it, who people are who come to visit, or much anything 😟
Worst part is how to tell kiddo, we'd go visit her every week, she loved it there. **sigh**

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
WELLLLLLL it's built! Pretty much! Almost! Hit one final snag in the spirit of it all... and it goes like:
@Zirakzigil quick quick question.... 4070 super has that connector for older psu's (pcie) so you use a splitter included with the gpu, but that could plug in to the psu with 1 cable. Also, new psu it comes with a 16 pin weird cable, but it has two pcie connectors for the psu... SO what do I do the 16pin fits with 2 pcie, the older pcie cable can connector to the splitter but it only has 1 pcie in to psu, THEN I read nvidia site and it says USE TWO INDIVIDUAL PCIE CABLES TO THE CONNECTOR AND PSU... so the 16pin that comes with the psu and has two pcie go into the psu.
I just wanted to check with someone on this because i was expecting to finish on the last cable, not hit another snag.
@Ogrezilla Just got word of grand mums hospitalization for the (second) hip... she woke up from surgery and she has no idea she broke it, who people are who come to visit, or much anything 😟
Worst part is how to tell kiddo, we'd go visit her every week, she loved it there. **sigh**
Youre going to melt your GPU, thats what youre going to do. That connector is one of the stupidest things nVidia has tried to force in their history of doing stupid things.

You cant bend that cable too close to the GPU, or it will melt itself. Also that cable has to be seated fully, completely, snuggly, securely, or it will arc and melt itself.

If your PSU has the 12vhpwr slot and came with a heavy duty 12vhpwr cable, I would use that. I am happily running 3 PCIe cables straight into my 7900xtx and dont have to worry about any of this. :P

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: LOGiK

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
:( Oh no. That sucks. It's always tough with little ones not understanding.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
@Honour Over Glory New episodes of Bad Batch are out. I've just started watching them.

I hope they continue the "Tales of" animated series. Do more Jedi and then do Sith, Bounty Hunters, Jabba's Palace, and so on.

And I'm still surprised they've not shown Dash Rendar in anything yet. I do think he's canon in Disney Star Wars but don't recall how.
Is it? I haven't checked yet. Just the usual 2 episodes and then an episode weekly or the entire thing?

Edit: There isn't much to watch lately I find. I mean I tried to watch a couple of episodes of Ahsoka, peaced out of that, Obi Wanker, that one with the bloke that we know is going to get blown up, etc.

At most, the Brummie in me just defaults to usual re-runs of Top Gear with Hammond, Clarkson, and May or Grand Tour re-runs, then just F1 stuff. It seems yeah the writers strike screwed a lot of stuff over, but damn, it was A LOT. I'm also miffed at Peripheral still being gone. I am kind of just re-watching shows that I knew were cancelled and didn't finish the one or two seasons they ran for and just kind of consider it a limited series now lol, just to enjoy some show.

I recently even started to re-watch Batman Beyond, then the news that DC might actually do a movie was just floating around and so that timing was great. I got through 2 episodes of True Detective's new season and just figured I'd wait until the season was out, I haven't gone back to finish the just finished season of Fargo either.

And trust me mate, I desperately need distractions right now.

Last edited:

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
Youre going to melt your GPU, thats what youre going to do. That connector is one of the stupidest things nVidia has tried to force in their history of doing stupid things.

You cant bend that cable too close to the GPU, or it will melt itself. Also that cable has to be seated fully, completely, snuggly, securely, or it will arc and melt itself.

If your PSU has the 12vhpwr slot and came with a heavy duty 12vhpwr cable, I would use that. I am happily running 3 PCIe cables straight into my 7900xtx and dont have to worry about any of this. :P
I heard about it. That is why I didn't use the nvidia extension. Just the part that threw me off was -do I connect BOTH pcie slots to the PSU-. Weird question, simple reasoning... every cable I stumble upon from F-Panel to F-Audio to the F-u320 whatever usb takes me an hour to connect. Either the wire is smaller than the slot (3 prong fan) or 10 pin on a 20 pin slot (f-panel) I have to know exactly the reason and what it does haha... so of course my final wire to complete the pc, that quirky gpu wire, I had to know the right way.

So far, the thing (pc) is faster than it has any right to do. I only minecrafted as I have no hdd's swapped to easily install downloaded games... so it's going to take time, plus upgrading everything that took forever.... now on benchmarks with aida64 I somehow have to gpu's working, the on-board and the gpu, hope that doesn't cause any issues... my last on board gpu wasn't noticed (that I noticed) unless the gpu wasn't there and I had to plug in the hdmi cable to the mb. Now it is there :whaaa?: Windows 10 installed in FIVE minutes. FIVE!!!!! Literally used to take an hour or two on this old machine and that was fast. (from cd).

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
@Zirakzigil oh. you were right, xmp is a literally click, two clicks actually. Boosted the ram from 4800 to 5200 in an instant. Upon initial nerve-racking boot... it said, cpu new or replaced something bios y to delete something and start new, I hit yes.... everything works fine from the box basically, nearly as PnP as you can get (I am updating bios/drivers as needed)
My free upgrade to windows 10 screwed me. Even though I use 10 now, I can't trade thatt o my new machine (as I can with my windows 7 cd key with windows 7 --- the criminals) so I had to pay to buy windows to activiate it.... pffffft... AND there was the onion from the FREE upgrade.... took years to pan out but they knew that. I really want to use linux again.

Anyway, installing times are insane. m2 is just.... wow speeds, seriously, wow. that and the ddr5 and just all of it... just wow!

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
I haven't gone back to finish the just finished season of Fargo either.

And trust me mate, I desperately need distractions right now.
Just started it myself.

Well, brummie... I recommend terry pratchett and the discworld series of books which, for distraction purpose, number 40 in total and should well provide many hours of occupying your thoughts.
Just a thought.
:dunno:

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
I heard about it. That is why I didn't use the nvidia extension. Just the part that threw me off was -do I connect BOTH pcie slots to the PSU-. Weird question, simple reasoning... every cable I stumble upon from F-Panel to F-Audio to the F-u320 whatever usb takes me an hour to connect. Either the wire is smaller than the slot (3 prong fan) or 10 pin on a 20 pin slot (f-panel) I have to know exactly the reason and what it does haha... so of course my final wire to complete the pc, that quirky gpu wire, I had to know the right way.

So far, the thing (pc) is faster than it has any right to do. I only minecrafted as I have no hdd's swapped to easily install downloaded games... so it's going to take time, plus upgrading everything that took forever.... now on benchmarks with aida64 I somehow have to gpu's working, the on-board and the gpu, hope that doesn't cause any issues... my last on board gpu wasn't noticed (that I noticed) unless the gpu wasn't there and I had to plug in the hdmi cable to the mb. Now it is there :whaaa?: Windows 10 installed in FIVE minutes. FIVE!!!!! Literally used to take an hour or two on this old machine and that was fast. (from cd).

@Zirakzigil oh. you were right, xmp is a literally click, two clicks actually. Boosted the ram from 4800 to 5200 in an instant. Upon initial nerve-racking boot... it said, cpu new or replaced something bios y to delete something and start new, I hit yes.... everything works fine from the box basically, nearly as PnP as you can get (I am updating bios/drivers as needed)
My free upgrade to windows 10 screwed me. Even though I use 10 now, I can't trade thatt o my new machine (as I can with my windows 7 cd key with windows 7 --- the criminals) so I had to pay to buy windows to activiate it.... pffffft... AND there was the onion from the FREE upgrade.... took years to pan out but they knew that. I really want to use linux again.

Anyway, installing times are insane. m2 is just.... wow speeds, seriously, wow. that and the ddr5 and just all of it... just wow!
You would have to connect both or your GPU wouldnt boot. Each PCIe cable only transfers 150w and you need 300w for that cable, or more. The new revisions are producing 650w. Idiotic to transfer that much, down one cable, in an non idiot proof system, but :dunno:

Unless your motherboard is a new revision, Id update your bios, but look closely at the update notes and check online. That should increase speed and stability, but has a chance to not. Just remember that updates and chances to the bios will reset XMP, so you will have to activate it again. You are lucky you are running DDR5. My DDR4 has to run at 1.5V to hit posted XMP speed. Its within the ram specifics, but more toasty than Id like. I run a ram cooler as a result.

In actuality, any windows license key will work with 10 or 11, as long as its the full version and not the OEM. Most people buy OEM and that will lock you into your system. Next go around I will buy a new key just to avoid the hassle from starting at 7 and updating. Still running 10 on mine.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Considering these prices, we're probably just going to go to the courthouse. And then maybe a year later we'll have a celebration at a firehall or something.
my reception was in a fire hall type place up in Erie. My brother's wedding had retractable basketball hoops lifted up like in a school gym. In my experience, I never have strong memories of the venue, just the event itself. But maybe that's the open bar talking :laugh: I think our bar was near half the cost of the reception. That was also 12 years ago, and doing it in Erie certainly helped for cost. I can't believe how much some people spend on weddings.

Just do what makes you two happy, that's what matters.

Reactions: Randy Butternubs

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
my reception was in a fire hall type place up in Erie. My brother's wedding had retractable basketball hoops lifted up like in a school gym. In my experience, I never have strong memories of the venue, just the event itself. But maybe that's the open bar talking :laugh: I think our bar was near half the cost of the reception. That was also 12 years ago, and doing it in Erie certainly helped for cost. I can't believe how much some people spend on weddings.

Just do what makes you two happy, that's what matters.
Wedding is cheap compared to a divorce cost. :whaaa?:

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
You would have to connect both or your GPU wouldnt boot. Each PCIe cable only transfers 150w and you need 300w for that cable, or more. The new revisions are producing 650w. Idiotic to transfer that much, down one cable, in an non idiot proof system, but :dunno:

Unless your motherboard is a new revision, Id update your bios, but look closely at the update notes and check online. That should increase speed and stability, but has a chance to not. Just remember that updates and chances to the bios will reset XMP, so you will have to activate it again. You are lucky you are running DDR5. My DDR4 has to run at 1.5V to hit posted XMP speed. Its within the ram specifics, but more toasty than Id like. I run a ram cooler as a result.

In actuality, any windows license key will work with 10 or 11, as long as its the full version and not the OEM. Most people buy OEM and that will lock you into your system. Next go around I will buy a new key just to avoid the hassle from starting at 7 and updating. Still running 10 on mine.
Yeah, I read the required watts for the 4070 super being 200 or so (225 ish?). Thank goodness I avoided the 4080 super... seems a bit much. For 2k gaming 70 super is fine. Alan Wake 2 runs like butter with RT maxed. Just beautiful... between the m2 and the gpu and just everything, flawless speeds, flawless quality... I am mighty impressed.
Only regret was buying quick (to avoid 40 series stock issues and cpu was on sale). So I only went 1 m2 (pcie4 yet) so now if I do go pcie 5 bootable with os m2, I'd have to redo windows... but I'll stay pcie 4 for now, and get two more storage m2's. This pc I'm going to stay m2, no 3.5 ssd or whatever and MAYBE get an old fashion hdd. Stinks the m2 4tb cost 300 so to get 8tb storage would cost me 600 ish. Plus for the hdd I don't have the sata cables hooked up. Oh, also to put in the remaining two m2's I have to take out the video card to get to the heatsink..... UGH.

Love the wifi and the fin with the magnet haha.... such leisure. Only con of the build is the usb3 cable to the mb... it doesnt click and it just sits there, in a bad place - right near the gpu cable - and it can pull out with such little pull. Eh. I don't even have usb 3 anything, that I know of at least.

Overall with the amd cpu build case, gpu, m2, mb... really a 9 out of 10... buildability wise, if that is a word, ease of use and cable management, expansions etc etc. Performance, solid 10. Can't even exaggerate how fast things unrar, transfer, load.... really really impressive!

Thanks for your help, and anyone else that helped too... I'll post a pic of it at some point.

Reactions: Zirakzigil

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
Considering these prices, we're probably just going to go to the courthouse. And then maybe a year later we'll have a celebration at a firehall or something.
We got married in central america at, I forget the name but where they give licenses.
Everything I have is in spanish. Not sure I ever needed the thing, outside of getting her here.
Had a party with her family in the backyard.
Done.
Cost: 100 dollars for cert. 100 dollars for food. Was a great memorable day.
Like @Ogrezilla said... do what makes you two happy.

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
Yeah, I read the required watts for the 4070 super being 200 or so (225 ish?). Thank goodness I avoided the 4080 super... seems a bit much. For 2k gaming 70 super is fine. Alan Wake 2 runs like butter with RT maxed. Just beautiful... between the m2 and the gpu and just everything, flawless speeds, flawless quality... I am mighty impressed.
Only regret was buying quick (to avoid 40 series stock issues and cpu was on sale). So I only went 1 m2 (pcie4 yet) so now if I do go pcie 5 bootable with os m2, I'd have to redo windows... but I'll stay pcie 4 for now, and get two more storage m2's. This pc I'm going to stay m2, no 3.5 ssd or whatever and MAYBE get an old fashion hdd. Stinks the m2 4tb cost 300 so to get 8tb storage would cost me 600 ish. Plus for the hdd I don't have the sata cables hooked up. Oh, also to put in the remaining two m2's I have to take out the video card to get to the heatsink..... UGH.

Love the wifi and the fin with the magnet haha.... such leisure. Only con of the build is the usb3 cable to the mb... it doesnt click and it just sits there, in a bad place - right near the gpu cable - and it can pull out with such little pull. Eh. I don't even have usb 3 anything, that I know of at least.

Overall with the amd cpu build case, gpu, m2, mb... really a 9 out of 10... buildability wise, if that is a word, ease of use and cable management, expansions etc etc. Performance, solid 10. Can't even exaggerate how fast things unrar, transfer, load.... really really impressive!

Thanks for your help, and anyone else that helped too... I'll post a pic of it at some point.
I wouldnt consider getting anything about PCIe 4 for the next few years, heat is killing PCIe 5 drives for no real gain. And that is ignoring the insane costs.

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
I wouldnt consider getting anything about PCIe 4 for the next few years, heat is killing PCIe 5 drives for no real gain. And that is ignoring the insane costs.
Usually I'd be itching to get the highest level I can support, but everything is so ultra efficient from the gpu not even having to spin the fans outside of AAA games to the m2, literally going from installing windows, and apps / bios / drivers, whatever to be up and running LITERALLY was complete in 2 hours. That is just absolutely wild. Installing windows and installing apps/drivers/ etc etc on a new machine used to take a day or so... hours and hours.

There is literally no possible use I can have to get faster than this. I'm staying pcie4 and couldn't be happier doing so.

MY OSD for aida64 says this right now:
Free memory 24079mb
motherboard 22c
CPU 36c
gpu hotspot 42c
wdblack m2 31c
rest is voltage...

I'm content there with speed and heat trade off. Did a benchmark / stress test, cpu got up to 50c gpu hit 60c, m2 I forget... but everything is well within the cool zone.... case is cold.... I'd not upgrade.

Thanks for saying that too... that was one of the first things you said, avoid pcie5.
:thumbu:

Reactions: Zirakzigil

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
OSD sensor New PC at near idle:

Free memory 24079mb
motherboard 22c
CPU 36c
gpu hotspot 42c
wdblack m2 31c

OSD sensor Old PC at near idle:

Free memory 10116mb
motherboard 25c
CPU 29c
GPU Diode 53c
GPU Hotspot 67c
Samsung SSD 860 evo 40c

Now having two pc's we(me) are turning the old grand pa computer into a streaming box. Not sure the specifics.... ie getting more hdd space etc etc.... but I think that is the best bet... our own private server for streaming.

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
Going to be around 15 tonight for the low, and then 60 this week... looks like winters (weak at best) grasp has been loosened and the approaching equinox has things heating up!
Not much of a winter this year, outside of maybe that real cold stretch we had for a week or two.
I miss winter's where you didn't see the green grass for a solid few months.
Gone gone gone..........

I ask this a lot but, FIFA -or- PES?
Gotta install a new footy game... I do love the pes 2021-22 sim. (not the new mess)

KrisLeturnover

Jan 17, 2021
Shane Gillis is hosting SNL in about 10 minutes. Gonna be the highest rated SNL in decades. Will be my first time watching in about as long.

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
@Zirakzigil
In bios, do you have xmp enabled? AND do you have low latency support? if so, do you have it enabled? One or the other or both. For gaming latency wins... not sure if I both would be stable? I guess try, eh?
If you don't have then... nm....

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad