Fire Luke Richardson

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
Agreed.

Except when it comes to the power play. There's really no reason for it to be this bad. Bedard should be profiting big time off his PP minutes.
lol, who the hell is supposed to give the puck to Bedard? And who is the other team going to cover outside of Bedard? All they have to do is put a man on him and our PP is dead.

Reactions: eh44

shakes the clown

Jan 11, 2010
Chicago
such a stupid thread. Richardson is fine. Put your frustration somewhere else like Corey Perry's bartender.

Imagine what this board is gonna look like next year when everyone realizes we still suck and are focused on developing young players?

Reactions: TheOne

giza

Jul 19, 2011
Clearly, losing Hall, Perry and AA has left the offense staggered game in and game out. I would like to see them get better on team D though and potentially add another forward with some skill and work ethic to replace Perry.

MarotteMarauder

Jul 23, 2022
lol, who the hell is supposed to give the puck to Bedard? And who is the other team going to cover outside of Bedard? All they have to do is put a man on him and our PP is dead.
So let's get some movement on the PP and let the other team chase and get a bit frazzled.

Reactions: Pez68

belfour30

Connor Bedard Fangirl
Dec 14, 2019
“I can handle the losing, it’s the things associated with losing that I can’t tolerate.”

Y’all are so crazy lmao. Tank roster. Imagine thinking a bunch of rookie dmen a couple of plugs and an overpaid guy were going to not look structurally a mess defensively sometimes.
No, it's that they're not competitive in games against crappy teams like Montreal, Arizona and Columbus.

The sign of a well coached team is one that can stay in games even while lacking in talent and losing.

CallMeShaft

Calder Bedard Fan
Apr 14, 2014
No, it's that they're not competitive in games against crappy teams like Montreal, Arizona and Columbus.

The sign of a well coached team is one that can stay in games even while lacking in talent and losing.
Look at the rosters for the Habs, Yotes, and Jackets and then look at the roster for the Hawks.

Reactions: Mrfenn92

BobbyJet

The accountability era?
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can

Are you sure? Can you explain to me why there seems to be a tweet basically the same as this after every game?

Can you explain to me why the powerplay and penalty kill continue to be absolute garbage, basically the worst in the league with no adjustments to how they work?

How about the systems in general, and how the opposing players are constantly left wide open.

How about the team not once showing up to the game on time, literally always having to play from behind.

You want to scratch Reichel, sure he’s played like crap. But where are the scratches for our locker room leaders who are literal garbage every single game?

This isn’t about wins and losses, I expected lots of losses. This is the team literally not trying ever. This is not acceptable.

When a team has no talent, it has a nasty tendency to show up on the ice.

As for Luke, most folks want him to be patient with the young guys and he is doing that. Of course it is frustrating. I am turning off games in disgust more this season than last; but until Richardson has some talent to coach, the jury is out on him as a head coach. Firing him at this stage now is exactly as you said, an over reaction.

Reactions: tioelcomoto

BobbyJet

The accountability era?
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
I feel like I’ve repeated this ad nauseum but…

for the love of f*** get an assistant coach that knows how to properly structure a powerplay.
This is so true. Why is it so difficult for Chicago to find that guy? I can't remember the last time Hawks had good movement and consistency on the PP. They can't even get set up most of the time.

Chuck Testa

Mar 27, 2017
This is so true. Why is it so difficult for Chicago to find that guy? I can't remember the last time Hawks had good movement and consistency on the PP. They can't even get set up most of the time.

They stand still and play along the perimeter. They can’t seem to find a guy to play in the bumper role at all.

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012
They had it in Barry Smith and people on here bemoaned the signing because "he was a spy." The PP was super hot when he was on staff, then he left and it cooled off because they relied on 1 thing again instead of changing things up frequently. But you still need talent.

As others have said, only have 1 player worthy of being on any teams PP1 unit, and he's 18 years old.

Reactions: d rake and Pez68

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
Powerplay stinks, at 11 %, it should pick up a bit just from variance as that's lower than even the low end of season totals. Note three other teams are lower, it's just early in the season. The personnel is bad so hopes that they can just scheme their way out of it aren't too likely even if [INSERT COACH YOU LIKE] was running it.

Reactions: TheOne

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL
The PP isn't a talent issue. Thinking NHL players can't pass the puck well enough to get some movement and have a functional power play is absurd nonsense.

The PP sucked here even when they were LOADED with talent, because they've never had a coach worth a shit running it. Aside from Barry Smith, as mentioned.

Reactions: MarotteMarauder

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
The PP isn't a talent issue.
Lol.

No idea why you are referencing the years they were good, as though it has relevance since it's not like Luke Richardson was the Head Coach back then. The PP was pretty inconsistent and relatively disappointing for how good the Hawks otherwise were but not league bottom.

2008-09: 12th
2009-10: 16th
2010-11: 4th
2011-12: 26th
2012-13: 19th
2013-14: 10th
2014-15: 20th
2015-16: 2nd
2016-17: 19th

AVG = 14.222

Their powerplay personnel outside of Kane was also not really *that* good. They didn't have Backstrom/Ovechkin or Crosby/Malkin, teams whose powerplays were consistently rating highly throughout that era. Like Toews is 16th in total points if you filter out 2008-09 through 2016-17, but 45th in powerplay points during those same years.

Reactions: ClydeLee

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL
Lol.

No idea why you are referencing the years they were good, as though it has relevance since it's not like Luke Richardson was the Head Coach back then. The PP was pretty inconsistent and relatively disappointing for how good the Hawks otherwise were but not league bottom.

2008-09: 12th
2009-10: 16th
2010-11: 4th
2011-12: 26th
2012-13: 19th
2013-14: 10th
2014-15: 20th
2015-16: 2nd
2016-17: 19th

AVG = 14.222

Their powerplay personnel outside of Kane was also not really *that* good. They didn't have Backstrom/Ovechkin or Crosby/Malkin, teams whose powerplays were consistently rating highly throughout that era. Like Toews is 16th in total points if you filter out 2008-09 through 2016-17, but 45th in powerplay points during those same years.
He was 45th in PP points because....their PP always sucked. It's been poorly coached for a decade plus, at this point. That's the f***ing point.

Good power plays have a ton of movement. The Hawks just love to have guys standing still in one spot.

Reactions: Chuck Testa

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
He was 45th in PP points because....their PP always sucked. It's been poorly coached for a decade plus, at this point. That's the f***ing point.

Good power plays have a ton of movement. The Hawks just love to have guys standing still in one spot.
Maybe the PP wasn't that good because Toews and Keith weren't that good at Powerplay compared to some others league-wide?

Again, what does that have to do with Luke Richardson? He wasn't the Hawks coach in 2011-12 (the worst season in that stretch and also notably the worst season of Kane's Blackhawk career with the wrist surgery).

Reactions: ClydeLee

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL
Maybe the PP wasn't that good because Toews and Keith weren't that good at Powerplay compared to some others league-wide?

Again, what does that have to do with Luke Richardson? He wasn't the Hawks coach in 2011-12 (the worst season in that stretch and also notably the worst season of Kane's Blackhawk career with the wrist surgery).

Keith, Seabrook, Campbell, Sharp, Hossa, Kane, Toews, Leddy....Plenty of PP talent back in the day.

The point still eludes you, I see. Even with talent, poor PP design trumps all. I don't know how anyone with a shred of hockey knowledge can watch this f***ing PP setup, and think the setup and philosophy isn't horseshit. Absolutely clueless.

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012
Keith, Seabrook, Campbell, Sharp, Hossa, Kane, Toews, Leddy....Plenty of PP talent back in the day.

The point still eludes you, I see. Even with talent, poor PP design trumps all. I don't know how anyone with a shred of hockey knowledge can watch this f***ing PP setup, and think the setup and philosophy isn't horseshit. Absolutely clueless.
Only Campbell was an actually all around good point player of those dmen. You listed not great PP talent as good ... that's on the evaluation you're having of talent then. He's not off point you're picture is way off of the talent. Everyone here complained about Keith kn the PP for years, rightfully so. Leddy was never even that good for his peak with NYI.

Seabrook had 1 strong year in 15-16 but mainly that was Kane - Panarin success with either Anisimov or Shaw up front. (Notbly units with less Toews)

Reactions: WarriorofTime

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL
Only Campbell was an actually all around good point player of those dmen. You listed not great PP talent as good ... that's on the evaluation you're having of talent then. He's not off point you're picture is way off of the talent. Everyone here complained about Keith kn the PP for years, rightfully so. Leddy was never even that good for his peak with NYI.

Seabrook had 1 strong year in 15-16 but mainly that was Kane - Panarin success with either Anisimov or Shaw up front. (Notbly units with less Toews)
Deciding who is on the power play and where they setup is coaching, you realize?

Reactions: hockeydoug

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012
Deciding who is on the power play and where they setup is coaching, you realize?
There was these options they missed who? Who was benched as a great point weapon since 10-11 after Campbell was traded?

They had 1 year Gus looked good. That's it. Think they would of thrived with Rundblad? Oseterle? McCabe? Oduya? Mitchell? Leddy? What player? You really think it's all on the coaches? Or were they not fully as responsible for opposed to lack of actual players great there?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad