Injury Report: CDS out for post-season

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
Vancouver, British Columbia
What a ridiculous post. The series is 1-1

You sound like many of the fans that said we were going to get owned by the Rangers coming into the series
I guess we'll see if it's ridiculous?

I'd love to be wrong, but I doubt it.

1 line team. Massive disparity in net. Slower, weaker. Getting worked on special teams. Rakell possibly out for the series with concussion. Getting nothing from the bottom six.

I don't see many reasons the Pens should win this series. This team's just not that good. Sorry.

Reactions: TheGoldenJet

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Just like we were losing 4 games in a row and getting swept......there must be a shit ton of people on these boards that can see into the future and make a living gambling.

Good for them

I didn’t think the Pens would get swept. Too much pride in this group. That said, the likelihood of a team winning a series with their 3rd goaltender is highly unlikely. Doesn’t mean it’s impossible.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
I like Domingue better. He's bigger too. I don't see how this is a major problem. I'm fine with Domingue, and Jarry will be back at some point.

They are? Based on what? Not a single goal was a bad goal, deflections and own goal and a great shot. He kept us in the game with incredible saves for 45 minutes, it's our fault we didn't score on PP. Domingue was great, people blaming him and comparing him badly to Shesterkin are out to lunch IMO.

I’m not blaming him but this series was always going to be a dog fight and require strong goaltending to win. Domingue is fine, but coming into a overtime game hopped up on emotion is far different than being the playoff starter. The pens chances of winning this series have gone down with DeSmith out. It’s just a fact.

The downtalk of this team is endemic here. Not useful responding after a while. A lot of people here are ALWAYS ready to throw in the towel. Not a lot of fight. To each his own.

We are fans venting on a message board. What does it matter if we have “fight”? Literally doesn’t impact anything. Weird post.

NewAgeOutlaw

Belie Dat!
Jul 15, 2011
412/724
The "I wanted them to get a goalie at the deadline" folks are so weird.

1. You wanted that because you felt DeSmith was an inadequate backup. I'm not arguing the validity of the opinion, but it had nothing to do with the 1 in a million scenario of having your top 2 goalies hurt at the same time in the playoffs.

2. Literally 0 teams make a dealine trade to make sure they have 3 nhl goalies for an incredibly unlikely scenario in a salary cap league.

So what is the point of pounding your chest now?

Reactions: Night Shift

Don'tcry4mejanhrdina

Aug 4, 2003
This space.
The "I wanted them to get a goalie at the deadline" folks are so weird.

1. You wanted that because you felt DeSmith was an inadequate backup. I'm not arguing the validity of the opinion, but it had nothing to do with the 1 in a million scenario of having your top 2 goalies hurt at the same time in the playoffs.

2. Literally 0 teams make a dealine trade to make sure they have 3 nhl goalies for an incredibly unlikely scenario in a salary cap league.

So what is the point of pounding your chest now?
"You know Quasimodo predicted all this."

vikingGoalie

Oct 31, 2010
i did want to find a way to get Fleury back, but realized it was improbable to make it work. Fleury was uneven in the first game he played and lights out the next two. I do like that we got Rakell that was a good get, but here we are again where our aging core goes in and skating wise we are the better team for the most part. But yet we get out goalied and risk once again not making it out of the first round.

That said, Louis has been fine in net. But being out played significantly in the most important position makes it a tough hill to climb. Example last game Crosby fires a shot through 2 sets of legs and shesterkin fires a leg pad out to stop it even though he didn't have hardly any sight line to even see it. No one would blame a goalie if that goes in. We probably should start bumping mildly running into their goalie from time to time, which I hate that kind of playing but we have to get in his head, make him think about things other then stoning our shooters.

I thought CDS last season had a groin issue, I don't think core muscle surgery is groin, perhaps he got a sports hernia? who knows...

Reactions: Andy99

Pittsburgh1776

Aug 9, 2010
I’m not blaming him but this series was always going to be a dog fight and require strong goaltending to win. Domingue is fine, but coming into a overtime game hopped up on emotion is far different than being the playoff starter. The pens chances of winning this series have gone down with DeSmith out. It’s just a fact.

We are fans venting on a message board. What does it matter if we have “fight”? Literally doesn’t impact anything. Weird post.
It's weird to see people just give up and downtalk the team at the first sign of trouble, all the time. It's way past venting IMO. It wasn't a comment on how their attitudes affect the team (they don't if they aren't at the game), it was a comment on them.

If we lose the series it won't be because of Domingue. If we won it wasn't going to be because of Jarry. This series was always going to be about how the Pens defended as a group, how they managed the puck to not feed the transition, and how they did on special teams. To me it's all just more doom and gloom from the same old crowd. They're never here when the Pens win.

Reactions: tom_servo

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
It's weird to see people just give up and downtalk the team at the first sign of trouble, all the time. It's way past venting IMO. It wasn't a comment on how their attitudes affect the team (they don't if they aren't at the game), it was a comment on them.

We're down to our third string goalie. It's not even a "Penguins" thing. If any team was down to having to rely on their third string goalie to beat a team who has a goalie playing like Shesterkin, people are going to be down on the team's chances.

People expecting fans to be super positive all the time even when things like losing both your regular goalies happens or risk being criticized for being negative or down on the team is even weirder.

Pittsburgh1776

Aug 9, 2010
We're down to our third string goalie. It's not even a "Penguins" thing. If any team was down to having to rely on their third string goalie to beat a team who has a goalie playing like Shesterkin, people are going to be down on the team's chances.

People expecting fans to be super positive all the time even when things like losing both your regular goalies happens or risk being criticized for being negative or down on the team is even weirder.
I mean, this isn't even really about Domingue. This is the natural state of a big portion of the board regardless of who is playing. I don't see any difference between Domingue and DeSmith except Domingue is bigger. Saying he's a third string goalie is fine but DeSmith isn't exactly a star. Jarry had a historic implosion in the playoffs last year that killed probably our best chance at a Cup with this core, and all the hope for him in the playoffs this year was just that, hope.

I'm more commenting on people who never seem to find a reason to actually cheer for this team. It's weird. If it's not fun why hang around?

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002

If we lose the series it won't be because of Domingue. If we won it wasn't going to be because of Jarry. This series was always going to be about how the Pens defended as a group, how they managed the puck to not feed the transition, and how they did on special teams. To me it's all just more doom and gloom from the same old crowd. They're never here when the Pens win.
If that’s what it was about more teams would be winning with league minimum waiver-wire goalies. In reality it’s not about “playing as a team” it’s about talent and we’re missing some in key areas.

Pittsburgh1776

Aug 9, 2010
If that’s what it was about more teams would be winning with league minimum waiver-wire goalies. In reality it’s not about “playing as a team” it’s about talent and we’re missing some in key areas.
That's what this series was going to be about. Turned out that way so far.

I'm not saying we're a contender like we used to be.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com

I think we are at the like 8th level of hell in terms of issues with playoff success. Colorado who had a far better roster couldn’t win a series with their 3rd string goalie.

Pittsburgh1776

Aug 9, 2010
I think we are at the like 8th level of hell in terms of issues with playoff success. Colorado who had a far better roster couldn’t win a series with their 3rd string goalie.
'3rd string' matters a lot less than if the goalie is solid. He has been. Pens can't blame their loss on the goalie this time, not yet. Murray wasn't superhuman, he was solid when he needed to be. I see a lot of that in Domingue. We were always going to need luck with a core past their prime and a supporting cast that isn't as good as it was. I'm not commenting that the Pens are a Cup contender like 2017, I'm just saying it's super weird how so few people here actually cheer for the team and seem to enjoy being a fan.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
'3rd string' matters a lot less than if the goalie is solid. He has been. Pens can't blame their loss on the goalie this time, not yet. Murray wasn't superhuman, he was solid when he needed to be. I see a lot of that in Domingue. We were always going to need luck with a core past their prime and a supporting cast that isn't as good as it was. I'm not commenting that the Pens are a Cup contender like 2017, I'm just saying it's super weird how so few people here actually cheer for the team and seem to enjoy being a fan.

I’m cheering for the team. Just hard to get too high when you are missing multiple top six wingers, two goalies and a top four D and half the roster seemingly forgot how to create let alone score.

I guess I look at this team and ask who is going to come up big.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009

You keep equating "not feeling good about our chances" with "not cheering for the team to win". That's the problem. You're assuming anyone who is down on the Pens' chances of winning this series due to the various injuries/plus poor performance coming into the playoffs are doing so because they simply don't want to cheer for the team or are hoping they lose.

The bottom line is we were the underdog even before the series began. Hence why they had home ice advantage. And then along the way, we found out Jarry wouldn't be ready to go, we lost DeSmith in Game 1, we lost Rakell at the start of Game 1, Zucker is still out, and Dumoulin was out Game 2. So an underdog even before the series is now without 5 key pieces (including both goalies), it's going to make a long shot to win the series an even bigger longshot.

That's not "not cheering for the Pens", that's being realistic about it being near impossible for a team that wasn't even the favorite coming in being able to overcome even more setbacks against a team whose goalie is literally standing on his head.

Pittsburgh1776

Aug 9, 2010
You keep equating "not feeling good about our chances" with "not cheering for the team to win". That's the problem. You're assuming anyone who is down on the Pens' chances of winning this series due to the various injuries/plus poor performance coming into the playoffs are doing so because they simply don't want to cheer for the team or are hoping they lose.

The bottom line is we were the underdog even before the series began. Hence why they had home ice advantage. And then along the way, we found out Jarry wouldn't be ready to go, we lost DeSmith in Game 1, we lost Rakell at the start of Game 1, Zucker is still out, and Dumoulin was out Game 2. So an underdog even before the series is now without 5 key pieces (including both goalies), it's going to make a long shot to win the series an even bigger longshot.

That's not "not cheering for the Pens", that's being realistic about it being near impossible for a team that wasn't even the favorite coming in being able to overcome even more setbacks against a team whose goalie is literally standing on his head.
Not talking about everyone who happens to be feeling down right now. I'm talking about the significant percentage of the board that is constantly negative about this team, in every thread. When something good happens, it's not something to celebrate, it's just staving off the inevitable collapse. A lot of people don't seem to enjoy being a fan of the team. If they get to post it I get to comment on it.

You say Shesterkin is standing on his head but he has looked really beatable and has a number of flaws. If this was 2016 the series would be over in 5 games.

Last edited:

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
I think goaltending matters and a starter gives you a better chance to win than you’re 3rd stringer.

Pittsburgh1776

Aug 9, 2010
I think goaltending matters and a starter gives you a better chance to win than you’re 3rd stringer.
It does matter but everything is relative. This isn't any starter, it's Jarry, who collapsed in a historic fashion last year and has not proved he is past that in the postseason yet. He's a gamble in spite of his regular season. Domingue is a third string but not any third string, he has some late bloomer qualities that make him potentially more than that.

Reactions: Andy99 and Jacob

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
It does matter but everything is relative. This isn't any starter, it's Jarry, who collapsed in a historic fashion last year and has not proved he is past that in the postseason yet. He's a gamble in spite of his regular season. Domingue is a third string but not any third string, he has some late bloomer qualities that make him potentially more than that.
And I don’t think Domingue sucked or was any major reason we lost the last game, to be clear.

Reactions: Pittsburgh1776

Pittsburgh1776

Aug 9, 2010
And I don’t think Domingue sucked or was any major reason we lost the last game, to be clear.
And he may collapse tonight, I don't know. So far he's been cool as a cucumber and good enough to win. I feel more confident with him than with DeSmith. We can play better than we did game 2, I see us winning the next two games.

Reactions: Night Shift

Harvey Birdman

…Need some law books, with pictures this time…
Oct 21, 2008
Penguins Legal Office
What a ridiculous post. The series is 1-1

You sound like many of the fans that said we were going to get owned by the Rangers coming into the series
The key to getting through something like this is the series being as short as possible at this point. The longer a AHL talent like LD is in net the worse chances become. When you know the opposition has a bad goalie and you need to figure out his Achilles heal you throw every single shot you can at him from any and all spots or quality of chances. It’s only a matter of time till the weak spot that can be scored on consistently is found. So the only chance Pittsburgh has to beat the Rangers is if they win both home games and put the Rangers in the position of elimination for games 5 or 6. If we continue to trade wins till the end and have a game 7 they’ll have written the book on LD and we will loose.

And even that happening is a far shot. There is a reason why people are so down, having capable goal tending is essential in the playoffs. Depending on your school of hockey thought it’s the most important position outright. And when you have a fringe AHL goalie as your starter. There’s not reason to be optimistic. It’s fine to hope, and I do have hope they figure out a way to win and Jarry comes back for round 2. But that’s hope. Realistically this is a wasted playoffs to ring in the end of the Crosby, Malkin, and Letang era. And it’s a shame.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
The key to getting through something like this is the series being as short as possible at this point. The longer a AHL talent like LD is in net the worse chances become. When you know the opposition has a bad goalie and you need to figure out his Achilles heal you throw every single shot you can at him from any and all spots or quality of chances. It’s only a matter of time till the weak spot that can be scored on consistently is found. So the only chance Pittsburgh has to beat the Rangers is if they win both home games and put the Rangers in the position of elimination for games 5 or 6. If we continue to trade wins till the end and have a game 7 they’ll have written the book on LD and we will loose.

And even that happening is a far shot. There is a reason why people are so down, having capable goal tending is essential in the playoffs. Depending on your school of hockey thought it’s the most important position outright. And when you have a fringe AHL goalie as your starter. There’s not reason to be optimistic. It’s fine to hope, and I do have hope they figure out a way to win and Jarry comes back for round 2. But that’s hope. Realistically this is a wasted playoffs to ring in the end of the Crosby, Malkin, and Letang era. And it’s a shame.

yep, must win tonight and tomorrow imo too…

to that end, I’ll be missing half of this game at the dog park…and if they’re winning, I won’t even turn it on! I’m doing my part

Pittsburgh1776

Aug 9, 2010

Realism is overrated.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad