GDT: Carolina Panthers 5: Young and the Restless Fans

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
I think Ja'Tavion Sanders is going to end up being a damn impressive pick. I could see him playing in the slot occasionally. He's big and fast for a TE. Supposedly a great "run after the catch" guy.

Reactions: hockeynjune

WreckingCrew

Feb 4, 2015
At least I never heard of a track asking for a billion dollars from the public or they'd move to another town!
I mean Bruton Smith did basically bully Concord into letting him build his drag strip or he'd "take his ball and go home"...like literally pull LMS/CMS and build a racetrack somewhere else. He also got like $80M in tax incentives for it. Not a billion, but same concept basically

cptjeff

Reprehensible User
Sep 18, 2008
Washington, DC.
f*** the NFL in general, and f*** this in particular.

Football stadiums are a waste of space and money. MLB: 81 home games. NBA/NHL: 41 home games. Football: 8 home games.

Yes, yes, football is huuuuuuge for the economy. Spare me.
Amen. Here in DC the mayor is trying to bring the football team back to DC with a new stadium on the RFK site. Immensely valuable prime land on a metro stop and in direct alignment the the Capitol and on a riverbank whose other uses proposed uses include being Mall 2.0, to create room for more museums and monuments.

And she wants to put a f***ing football stadium there for 10 uses a year. Jesus f***ing Christ, what an awful idea. Way off in the distant suburbs is where NFL stadiums need to be. They're black holes of land use.

cptjeff

Reprehensible User
Sep 18, 2008
Washington, DC.
Tepper is holding Charlotte hostage, either they pay 650 million (15 year contract for no relocation) or Tepper can take the team and move it.
I mean, that's the standard playbook for sports owners. Cities, rationally or not, want the prestige of having a major league team, and will pay for it.

Of course, it's contingent on having another city desperate for the team and willing to pay at least as much as the current city. Is there any city willing to shell out $650m for Tepper and the Panthers right now? Sure, you'd have an NFL team, but that team is bad and basically guaranteed to be bad for years, likely as long as the current asshole of an owner owns it. An owner that wouldn't hesitate for a microsecond to stab whatever city he moved to in the back.

Somehow, I don't think a lot of cities are leaping for that.

Unsustainable

Seth Jarvis has Big Kahunas
Apr 14, 2012
North Carolina
I mean, that's the standard playbook for sports owners. Cities, rationally or not, want the prestige of having a major league team, and will pay for it.

Of course, it's contingent on having another city desperate for the team and willing to pay at least as much as the current city. Is there any city willing to shell out $650m for Tepper and the Panthers right now? Sure, you'd have an NFL team, but that team is bad and basically guaranteed to be bad for years, likely as long as the current asshole of an owner owns it. An owner that wouldn't hesitate for a microsecond to stab whatever city he moved to in the back.

Somehow, I don't think a lot of cities are leaping for that.
Financially, does it make sense for the city? Will they recoup the 650m in 15 years, or is it just another tax on Meck county residents to keep the shiny toy in town. Or would that 650m be better off you know, helping the citizens of Meck County.

cptjeff

Reprehensible User
Sep 18, 2008
Washington, DC.
Financially, does it make sense for the city? Will they recoup the 650m in 15 years, or is it just another tax on Meck county residents to keep the shiny toy in town. Or would that 650m be better off you know, helping the citizens of Meck County.
Having an NFL team never makes sense for any city. Awful land use, and maybe 10 game days a year is not enough traffic to drive enough traffic to create an entertainment district that sustains any additional businesses. Those investments can and do work well for baseball teams with 81 home games and multipurpose arenas for hockey and basketball teams which also have a ton of dates filled with concerts and other events.

But an NFL team and stadium serves only to enrich its owner and provides no financial or development benefit for a city. So it's all about the irrational question of prestige. How much is the prestige of being an NFL city worth to Charlotte?

Personally, if I'm Charlotte I tell him to pound sand and pay for renovations himself. If he wants to move the team, that's the NFL's problem, not mine.

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
David Tepper is worth almost $21 billion. He could easily finance the stadium himself, get all the revenue benefit, and not depend on the citizens of Charlotte. I mean, he wouldn't even have to dip into his holdings. I'm a big Panthers fan through thick and thin, but f*** David Tepper in his eye socket. Take your f***ing football and leave town you douche.

WreckingCrew

Feb 4, 2015
Having an NFL team never makes sense for any city. Awful land use, and maybe 10 game days a year is not enough traffic to drive enough traffic to create an entertainment district that sustains any additional businesses. Those investments can and do work well for baseball teams with 81 home games and multipurpose arenas for hockey and basketball teams which also have a ton of dates filled with concerts and other events.

But an NFL team and stadium serves only to enrich its owner and provides no financial or development benefit for a city. So it's all about the irrational question of prestige. How much is the prestige of being an NFL city worth to Charlotte?

Personally, if I'm Charlotte I tell him to pound sand and pay for renovations himself. If he wants to move the team, that's the NFL's problem, not mine.
This...worst case scenario the leagues worst owner takes a toilet bowl team out of town and gives someone else the opportunity to buy/move another team here in the future for a fresh start/identity

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad