GDT: Carolina Panthers 5: Young and the Restless Fans

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
As a Pats fan, I certainly hate the Steelers, Ravens, Giants, Chiefs, Broncos, Colts and probably even the Eagles more than our division opponents. Those are certainly teams that we had big games against, big stories against, and big wins and losses against over the years. But we ran over the division opponents for 20 years. I'm sure now that we're so bad and the division opponents are beating us more, that will evolve, but even at this point I only have a bit of a dislike toward the Dolphins, Jets, and Bills. But, I do listen to and engage in a lot of Pats content, and while those teams I mention are hated to varying degrees, I do think the Jets are very high on the hate list (including many #1) for a large percentage of Pats fans. I guess just the Boston/New England to New York thing. Not being a local, that part matters a bit less to me I suppose.

AhosDatsyukian

Sep 25, 2020
Is there more to this story?
Mother’s Day afternoon game for some reason brought more douchebag fans than usual (I’ve been to many bruins games rooting against Boston and had never before had issues like that, some chirping but nothing over the top or actually serious). I was just cheering for the Canes when they scored not even talking sh*t or anything since I was there with family including some kids. Drunk dudes behind me apparently couldn’t keep their sh*t together and one of them “spilled” a significant amount of his beer on me and a bit on my (bruins fan) brother sitting next to me. I called the dude out and he “apologized” while laughing to his buddies about it. I just moved on and didn’t go to security or anything but mentioned it to the STH who we got the seats from who mentioned it to his ticket rep who then sent the signed puck and a Canes playoff towel. Nice gesture from the bruins organization but I don’t think the dude behind me faced any repercussions — it apparently wasn’t the ticket holder just someone who bought on the secondary market. These are high priced club seats by the way which usually keeps the idiots from showing up in that section.

If anything happened again after that I would’ve gone to security and if the Canes had won the game I’m sure things would’ve gotten worse for those dudes… I think that happened after the last goal we scored that game so nothing else triggered them.

AhosDatsyukian

Sep 25, 2020
Tepper might just be the worst owner in all of sports

Really such a disgrace. Harbaugh should truthfully be the most sought after head coach prospect by any team that wants to win. What he's done at the NFL level in the short time he was there is nothing short of outstanding. And he did it with very average QB play. I'm not sold Bryce will last in this league as a fringe starter let alone an eventual franchise QB that was worth trading what we did for him, but if there's anyone out there I'd trust to get the most out of him it's Harbaugh. And I say that having hated the guy his entire time in the NFL (2013 Panthers and 49ers had a bit of a small little rivalry and I'm still pissed about the playoff game that year, plus I disliked his sideline antics in the prior years).

Derailed75

Jan 5, 2021
Danville
Really such a disgrace. Harbaugh should truthfully be the most sought after head coach prospect by any team that wants to win. What he's done at the NFL level in the short time he was there is nothing short of outstanding. And he did it with very average QB play. I'm not sold Bryce will last in this league as a fringe starter let alone an eventual franchise QB that was worth trading what we did for him, but if there's anyone out there I'd trust to get the most out of him it's Harbaugh. And I say that having hated the guy his entire time in the NFL (2013 Panthers and 49ers had a bit of a small little rivalry and I'm still pissed about the playoff game that year, plus I disliked his sideline antics in the prior years).

Not saying he's not a good coach but I'm sure a lot of people in the NFL are well aware that he had a good amount of things fall the right way in San Fran. Its took him a long time to get past the Buckeyes after the "Meyer effect" wore off and it took a massive cheating scandal like sending low level employees dress as opposing team coaches talking their way onto the upcoming opponents side lines during games just to get to a NC game. Not really sure how they didn't get disqualified but whatever.

Daeavorn

livin' that no caps life
Oct 8, 2019
Raleigh, NC
It just proves the head coaching search isnt real. Tepper wants a guy he can manipulate.

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
Imagine giving the full reigns to Matt Rhule but not being willing to do the exact same thing for Jim Harbaugh

AhosDatsyukian

Sep 25, 2020
Not saying he's not a good coach but I'm sure a lot of people in the NFL are well aware that he had a good amount of things fall the right way in San Fran. Its took him a long time to get past the Buckeyes after the "Meyer effect" wore off and it took a massive cheating scandal like sending low level employees dress as opposing team coaches talking their way onto the upcoming opponents side lines during games just to get to a NC game. Not really sure how they didn't get disqualified but whatever.
Almost the entire core of those Harbaugh teams was already there for a while before he got there and the team absolutely sucked and was a mess before he came in. Trent Baalke is a terrible GM. Harbaugh took that average roster he inherited and made 3 straight championship games and 1 Super Bowl, with all of their playoff losses being extremely close. Baalke did nothing to improve the roster whatsoever in Harbaugh's time there and by his last season it was pretty incredible he even got a .500 record with that aging core that he got the most out of where his predecessors could not. Baalke somehow won the power struggle in the front office and Harbaugh went back to college, Baalke lasted 2 more years (5 & 2 win seasons) and handed over a terrible roster to John Lynch and Kyle Shanahan who then had 2 more bad years before finally cleaning up the mess Baalke made. When the 49ers made the Super Bowl in 2019 with Shanahan 3 years after Baalke was gone, only 2 key contributors remained from Baalke's time as GM -- Arik Armstead and DeForest Buckner, both high 1st round picks that were far from critically important and haven't contributed to any of the 49ers' success since that season. And Baalke has remained terrible with the Jags now, despite getting one of the best QB prospects ever in Lawrence and SB winning HC in Pederson.

Harbaugh certainly has his faults but the NFL results speak for themselves. The biggest thing he would bring is in the culture. His 49ers teams showed up and were 100% fully prepared for every single game and up and ready for every single snap with pure focused intensity. They played hard nosed football and very very rarely made stupid mistakes. The polar opposite of what the Panthers have been every year since Rivera was fired. He's a great offensive mind, great in game decision maker and great motivator. Tepper not even being willing to consider him is just a huge mistake, especially if it's true that he wants this job, as it's already been made clear that other top candidates like Ben Johnson don't have much interest in coming here and for good reason. Harbaugh will piss people off with his huge ego, Tepper included, but if he wins that just flat out doesn't matter. College is really a different game and I won't speak to his tenures at that level.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Almost the entire core of those Harbaugh teams was already there for a while before he got there and the team absolutely sucked and was a mess before he came in. Trent Baalke is a terrible GM. Harbaugh took that average roster he inherited and made 3 straight championship games and 1 Super Bowl, with all of their playoff losses being extremely close. Baalke did nothing to improve the roster whatsoever in Harbaugh's time there and by his last season it was pretty incredible he even got a .500 record with that aging core that he got the most out of where his predecessors could not. Baalke somehow won the power struggle in the front office and Harbaugh went back to college, Baalke lasted 2 more years (5 & 2 win seasons) and handed over a terrible roster to John Lynch and Kyle Shanahan who then had 2 more bad years before finally cleaning up the mess Baalke made. When the 49ers made the Super Bowl in 2019 with Shanahan 3 years after Baalke was gone, only 2 key contributors remained from Baalke's time as GM -- Arik Armstead and DeForest Buckner, both high 1st round picks that were far from critically important and haven't contributed to any of the 49ers' success since that season. And Baalke has remained terrible with the Jags now, despite getting one of the best QB prospects ever in Lawrence and SB winning HC in Pederson.

Harbaugh certainly has his faults but the NFL results speak for themselves. The biggest thing he would bring is in the culture. His 49ers teams showed up and were 100% fully prepared for every single game and up and ready for every single snap with pure focused intensity. They played hard nosed football and very very rarely made stupid mistakes. The polar opposite of what the Panthers have been every year since Rivera was fired. He's a great offensive mind, great in game decision maker and great motivator. Tepper not even being willing to consider him is just a huge mistake, especially if it's true that he wants this job, as it's already been made clear that other top candidates like Ben Johnson don't have much interest in coming here and for good reason. Harbaugh will piss people off with his huge ego, Tepper included, but if he wins that just flat out doesn't matter. College is really a different game and I won't speak to his tenures at that level.
Agree with all this. And it's hard to argue with his college tenure both at Stanford and Michigan, regardless of what you think of him.

He'll be hated, but Carolina probably needs that. It will take some time, but not sure there is a better match at this point.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad