Player Discussion Brandon Carlo III

Hookslide

Nov 19, 2018
I still prefer a quicker, less mistake prone d. He has value and therefore would be on my trade list with the less valuable JDB.
When you move Carlo and DeBrusk, who will be next on your hit list,Pasta,McAvoy, maybe Poitras probably too early in his career even for you to shit on him.........

Reactions: drkfluff

22Brad Park

Nov 23, 2008
Calgary AB
I still prefer a quicker, less mistake prone d. He has value and therefore would be on my trade list with the less valuable JDB.
Carlo is more important then you think..Bruins move him they will regret it guaranteed.Ask his opponents how much they like facing him with his reach and skating ability.I can still remember all the Carlo for Landeskog ideas here.Sure dodged a bullet that time so let's not try it again.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
He’s turned into an elite defensive defenseman - doesn’t seem to be appreciated here by Broons fans (shocker) around the hockey universe different story

Thomas Chabot who I wanted in 2015 is sitting on an 8 M long term deal with a game that doesn’t translate to that

Bruins top two right side big reason why the Bruins are once again top 5 all time points after 18 games and 130+ pace

Aside - the left side of Lindholm Grzelcyk lohrei & forbort is really strong and versatile

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO
He’s turned into an elite defensive defenseman - doesn’t seem to be appreciated here by Broons fans (shocker) around the hockey universe different story

Thomas Chabot who I wanted in 2015 is sitting on an 8 M long term deal with a game that doesn’t translate to that

Bruins top two right side big reason why the Bruins are once again top 5 all time points after 18 games and 130+ pace

Aside - the left side of Lindholm Grzelcyk lohrei & forbort is really strong and versatile
Carlo's defensive excellence is just way too subtle for most fans to notice. He has taken the Bergy route back from concussions, took him 2 years to return back to his elite self just like Carlo.

Bruinswillwin77

My name is Pete
Sponsor
May 29, 2011
Hooksett, NH
He's been great this season so far, they're most consistent d-man in my opinion. I said it a few weeks ago and I'll say it again, he would be a top 5 D in the league if he was mean.

Reactions: NDiesel

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
By some fans, more fair to say, and it's those that wish he smashed people and dropped the mitts.

Reactions: hrdpuk

hrdpuk

Fossa
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2017
Kentucky
Carlo's defensive excellence is just way too subtle for most fans to notice. He has taken the Bergy route back from concussions, took him 2 years to return back to his elite self just like Carlo.

He took a lot of crap from some HF fans after coming back from concussions.
Defensive D skills is a highly underrated skill set by some fans. My favorite Bruin.

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO
Defensive D skills is a highly underrated skill set by some fans. My favorite Bruin.
And ironically just this past decade we have watched and appreciated many guys who excelled in subtle defensive skills, much like Carlo.

IMO, people see a big, passive dman and are blinded a bit by his lack of physicality when talking about his skills

Reactions: hrdpuk

chizzler

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 11, 2006
He’s starting to develop a back bone. As long as he stops facing boards, he’ll continue to be a force.

missingchicklet

Jan 24, 2010
Criminally underappreciated by some.

Dollar for dollar one of the best defensive top-4 d-men in the league. Having him locked up at $4.1M AAV through 2027 is a bargain. Thing is, he's still improving. Took a step up last season. Playing great this season and is noticeably getting more physical. I watch him away from the puck quite a bit and he is not shying away at all when it comes to bruising up guys around the crease. Past couple weeks even been playing after the whistle like someone took a piss in his Cheerios.

Double the +/- of any other top-4 d-man on the team (3rd on the entire team), while 75% of his starts are in the d-zone. Dude is killing it this season, and IMO the player the goalies should thank the most so far.

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
this abandoned carload of in-season overall player effectiveness grades goes here now:

MAR 71 - POI 82 - HEI 99
DeB 88 - ZAC 77 - PAS 92
van 91 - COY 81 - FRE 92
LAU 31 - BEE 54 - GEE 81
GRZ 69 - McA 67
LIN 92 - CAR 112
FOR 103 - SHA 60
SWA 92
ULL 88

STE 85* - BOQ 70* - BRO 70* - LUC 48*
MIT 83 - WOT 70* - LOH 50
And…taking over the top spot for best performing forward for the Bruins this year…Danton Heinen!!!

• Wow
Reactions: Sevendust

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
messenge the shooter, Jeannie? it ties into how the stars have fallen. Marchand, DeBrusk, Zacha, Pastrnak, McAvoy have plummeted like Bob Kraft called from Heinz Field and said it's time to tank like a plain white top with no sleeves, if you catch the triple entendre. Heinen has been great, but what is going on with the guys with extra letters on their jerseys? Carlo and Forbort deserve the A fronts.
This makes less sense than the ratings, which is a very high bar to clear.

neelynugs

Feb 27, 2002
One thing I’ve come to appreciate from him this season is his aggressiveness around the crease.

I’ve always liked his defensive game, but felt he could use a touch more, for lack of a better word, “snarl”.

Might be the most underrated Bruin, or pretty damn close.
after listening to his comments on cassidy, seemed like carlo was one of the guys that really
needed a fresh start. monty compared him to parayko when he first got here. he's becoming a pretty important piece back there - admittedly i wasn't sure it would happen. and he's only 27, which is crazy. feels like he's 35.

Reactions: hrdpuk and NDiesel

bruinshoper

Sponsor
Jan 20, 2011
Carlo is really coming into his own. How many shots on net did he have last couple of games? He was carrying the puck a lot...with confidence. I watched closely during the game against the leafs, and it really looked like the Leafs were trying not to "skate his lane" whenever possible. Players like Carlo are very, very, rare...especially on a contract like his. He is stronger, more confident...starting to "own the crease/slot area". It's been really enjoyable watching his progress, especially this season.

Reactions: missingchicklet

Raleighfern

Apr 7, 2017
i've always liked carlos game. it was obvious to me early on that a guy that could skate like him at his size, with the passion he has for the game, his smarts, and apparent coachability, was going to be a good player. 502 games at 27 years old. 9th most games played in his draft class. lucky to have him at 4 mil

missingchicklet

Jan 24, 2010
One thing I’ve come to appreciate from him this season is his aggressiveness around the crease.

I’ve always liked his defensive game, but felt he could use a touch more, for lack of a better word, “snarl”.

Might be the most underrated Bruin, or pretty damn close.
I don't think there is any doubt he is the most underrated Bruin. The snarl was the main thing missing from his repertoire, along with not asserting himself enough offensively. Been saying it since he was drafted -- dude is not as much of an offensive black hole as some make him out to be.

Monty's system has helped him do more in the offensive zone. Big thing under Monty is that last season Carlo started showing glimpses of being more physical around the crease. This season definitely even more than last. Even gives opposing players and refs a piece of his mind more than I've ever seen him do. Seems that he has become more confident in multiple areas, including showing leadership. Most consistent d-man for the Bs this season so far.

Reactions: 22Brad Park

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad