Blow this team up already!

ITM

Out on the front line, don't worry I'll be fine...
Jan 26, 2012
This!

Tavares isn't going anywhere, can be useful in mentoring some younger players, and will likely sign for cheap to stay here.
Qualified to say: For one more season.

And subsequent to that, I don't think having our ex-captain in the room is going to do anyone any esprit de corps favours.

I expect the most reasonable dominoes will be:
2024: Keefe
2025: Tavares.

2025 may also see Shanahan and Marner go, but before contracts are up and the pressure of losing yet again owing to an absence of means to fill out our needs, I don't see what real incentive there is for both not to take "one more shot".

The 2025 offseason is where our last opportunity opens.

Looking to bring in real character, hopefully starts this offseason.

Last edited:

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
You are advocating for cheating...

There’s no honour in the NHL economic system. Charge Toronto multiples more than a paying audience somewhere else so we can have our on ice product capped out at an arbitrary rate for cost certainty optics to pump up franchise valuations… and subsidizing apathetic markets elsewhere. I say cheat all you want.

usernamezrhardtodo

Mar 26, 2014
Vegas needed 10 million extra in cap space to make this plan work.

The other teams that won recently like Tampa and Colorado didn't.

Not saying we should not move on from players, but to replicate what Vegas did, we'd need to sit Marner all year, use his cap space, have him 100% before the playoffs, lie to the league about him being 100%, and then bring him back along with the extra players who were covering his cap.

I know our team sucks a lot, but we could have brought in the same players Vegas did in Hertl, Hanafin, and Mantha.

Domi - Matthews - Bertuzzi
McMann - Hertl - Marner
Mantha - Tavares - Nylander
Knies - Kampf - Reaves

Rielly - Lub
Hanafin - Liljegren
McCabe - Benoit

this team is cap-compliant using their methods, not saying they are winning anything, but this gives them a significant edge.

Just annoying seeing Vegas as how we should run things when they can't win without cheating.

I also call it cheating because if Stone is healthy he needs to come back, and I believe he was, you can argue it, but I won't agree.
What would all of those players have cost us?

usernamezrhardtodo

Mar 26, 2014
There’s no honour in the NHL economic system. Charge Toronto multiples more than a paying audience somewhere else so we can have our on ice product capped out at an arbitrary rate for cost certainty optics to pump up franchise valuations… and subsidizing apathetic markets elsewhere. I say cheat all you want.
Like Jerry Glanville once said..."If you ain't cheating, you ain't trying "

theTTC

Aug 17, 2010
To me there's 2 obvious teams to target. Anaheim and Chicago. Anaheim seems to love the charmain ultrasoft variety with inflated egos (Gauthier, Zegras). Chicago just needs talent to play with Bedard.
^^ This resonates big time. Leafs could do very well. And can involve a third team to get the package they want.

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
^^ This resonates big time. Leafs could do very well. And can involve a third team to get the package they want.
Chicago is one of the last teams that'd need a 3rd team involved, they could get him in full freight with cap space to spare.

I wish Seth Jones was open to playing in Canada, he's exactly what this team needs. Big, minute-eating RD that can run a PP

Sundin and Kadri come immediately to mind without any thought whatsoever
Sundin I get, he was a respected vet and loved Toronto. He earned it.

Kadri is the complete opposite. If there was a way to be a bitch, he'd find it

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
JT probably doesn't want to move but if the team informed him they aren't going to offer him an extension his choice would be to retire or move to a new team , doubt he wants to retire so most people would waive once it's known the team doesn't want you back .
Play out his last season and move on. lol!

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land
It's not like Leafs have used their own ways around certain rules anyway. :rolleyes:

Robidas Island and the salary/bonus structure of the big guys' contracts are clear signs of that. The latter is particularly greasy, IMO.

notbias

Feb 16, 2017

We had more assets than Vegas at the time, so we could have outbid them if we wanted to, this scenario couldn't happen though because we can't just LTIR someone and keep them there (except Vegas x3)

Vegas traded
2x 1st
2x 2nd
1x4th
1x5th
a good prospect

They received
Hertl
2x 3rd
Hanifin
Mantha
A bunch of retention

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
JT can stay at a severe discount. 4M year...and he has to drop the C to Matthews.
i understand your point but discount implies he's getting paid less than he's worth

he's already a liability at even strength and he'll be only be worse 2 seasons from now so chances are if we give him 4m that'll be a huge overpayment

tbh i don't want him on our team for any amount since i don't see a use for him

Last edited:
Reactions: TMLife17

Pavel10

Nov 10, 2023
After seeing the Nylander interview I do wonder how much team culture has an impact. He comes out wearing earrings, a chain his bangs in his face.

Matthews apparently has the best "shoe game" in the league.

Reeves another tough guy wears more jewellery than a lot of females.

I know Lou was very clear when he came from Jersey he didn't tolerate these antics. I can't see Brad Marchant giving an interview wearing earrings a necklace and playing with his hair.

These guys need to decide if they want to be hockey players or divas.

Reactions: Tyson

1specter

Sep 27, 2016

Some very interesting Tweets from Weekes. The only people that really come to mind are Rod or Jon Cooper. I'll throw on my homer glasses, but Cooper's family were Leaf fans (his dad is a huge fan), and Cooper has accomplished just about everything in Tampa, plus the Lightning's window for contention is closing and they will need to retool/rebuild soon. Cooper also only has one year left on his deal. If he wants the biggest challenge, and boatloads of money, this team can surely give him that.

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
Auston and Willy alone are taking up 6M+ more cap next year than this year lol.
Funny thing but now that William has his 8 years at 11.5, he probably could come up with a team or 2 that he would go to. lol! We’d just have to eat about 3 million a year though.

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
Sundin and Kadri come immediately to mind without any thought whatsoever
players with term left.

Sundin was on an expiring deal and just rode out the last 15 games of it.

Kadri, I'm pretty sure we traded.... didn't we?

and my whole point about NMCs and players with term is, they never actually get used to outright prevent a team from trading a player. They only get used to exert influence as to where the player gets dealt.

ITM

Out on the front line, don't worry I'll be fine...
Jan 26, 2012
Somewhat unrelated, but when our revisionist roster door opens, my heart sinks when I think of the players we traded or let go and what they signed/re-signed for elsewhere and the qualities they possess:

Zach Hyman (6'1"), Jared McCann (6'1"), Carter Verhaeghe (6'2"), Mason Marchment (6'5"), Dakota Joshua (6'3")...

There's an element of..."seriousness"...perhaps? that we're lacking when considering needs and chemistry and playoffs hockey.

How did we get the above so wrong?

Drytoast

Sep 27, 2017
i understand your point but discount implies he's getting paid less than he's worth

he's already a liability at even strength and he'll be only be worse 2 seasons from now so chances are if we give him 4m that'll be a huge overpayment

tbh i don't want him on our team for any amount since i don't see a use for him
Discount means he's getting paid slightly less then his market value yes. I'd probably peg him at about 6M. He can stay for 5M. Kind of "pay it forward" for helping to f*** up our cap.

Why drop the C? Does Mac need the C in Colorado?
It's not his team anymore and he's a shitty captain.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad