Blow this team up already!

613Leafer

May 26, 2008
I was looking at the upcoming UFA list for goaltenders and it is very slim pickings. If we hope to find a reliable tandem goaltender to play with Woll, I think we need to go the trade route.

It's awful. Stolarz I guess would be the top choice, though would be a massive roll of the dice. He's had good stats (including on a bad Anaheim team), but only has 108 NHL games under his belt.

Via trade, who would even be available to get a legit goalie? Maybe Markstrom, but tough trade to swing, same for Saros. Ulmark is probably available, but Boston is unlikely to trade with us.

Unfortunately, we may just be looking at a stopgap - bring Samsonov back on a short deal or some other similarly inconsistent goalie, and hope that Woll develops into an adequate starter within a year or two.

Folignos Helmet

Sep 4, 2020
Pelley is likely talking to top sports people around the globe .
Due dillegence will be required,pick the brains of experts
Knee jerk reactions ,sometimes don't help
But i do believe he will be well informed by may 15 at the latest
I guarantee he has already been doing that. It’s not like a search starts this week. I’m sure he has had exploratory conversations with people at all levels.

A1LeafNation

Good, is simply not good enough!
Oct 17, 2010
I guarantee he has already been doing that. It’s not like a search starts this week. I’m sure he has had exploratory conversations with people at all levels.
I dont think you get past the interview stage without plans A B and C.

He's probably had an idea of what he wanted to do for the past year.

Reactions: Folignos Helmet

Punch Drunk Loov

Gaaaaary Roberts!
Dec 6, 2011
But you can think of plenty that refused to be traded when their teams wanted to move them?
I can see Tavares not wanting to move. He's late into his career and stability is pretty important to a married man with 3 children. Nobody is offering JT term on his next deal.

Mitch will be seeking an 8 year deal, so it's much different. Marner is married, yes but has a very long NHL career ahead of him. He'd be likely to waive if he knew we wouldn't offer him an extension and he could only get 7 years in UFA.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
I can see Tavares not wanting to move. He's late into his career and stability is pretty important to a married man with 3 children. Nobody is offering JT term on his next deal.

Mitch will be seeking an 8 year deal, so it's much different. Marner is married, yes but has a very long NHL career ahead of him. He'd be likely to waive if he knew we wouldn't offer him an extension and he could only get 7 years in UFA.
This!

Tavares isn't going anywhere, can be useful in mentoring some younger players, and will likely sign for cheap to stay here.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
You think if management tells him to his face we no longer want you here and you will not be resigned and openly tell that to the media that he will say no problem and refuse a trade and play out his contract?
They may have a conversation but I don't believe that will lead him to waiving.
I also don't believe they will take any of the childish routes that people are suggesting to force him out.

We don't even know that they are unhappy with him and wish to move him.

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009

JT probably doesn't want to move but if the team informed him they aren't going to offer him an extension his choice would be to retire or move to a new team , doubt he wants to retire so most people would waive once it's known the team doesn't want you back .

Reactions: TMLife17

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
JT probably doesn't want to move but if the team informed him they aren't going to offer him an extension his choice would be to retire or move to a new team , doubt he wants to retire so most people would waive once it's known the team doesn't want you back .
… or play out the year hoping to change their mind. Worse case you choose your own destination as a UFA.

Reactions: Kazparov

horner

May 22, 2007
Out of all the players on the team with a NMC's Marner and Tavares I think would be the ones unwilling to waive them.

Could be wrong of course.
The noice is going to get hot this summer .
They may not want yo deal with it.

Folignos Helmet

Sep 4, 2020
They may have a conversation but I don't believe that will lead him to waiving.
I also don't believe they will take any of the childish routes that people are suggesting to force him out.

We don't even know that they are unhappy with him and wish to move him.
Basically it would be doing the team version of what Matthew Tkachuk did to the flames. Not asking him to waive but making it clear to him and media they are not resigning.

Anyway all moot as you say maybe they decide to keep him.

usernamezrhardtodo

Mar 26, 2014
… or play out the year hoping to change their mind. Worse case you choose your own destination as a UFA.
If it leaks out that he was using his NMC to stay after this fiasco of a series (unless something drastic changes)....I wouldn't want to be him walking around this city. He cares about his image...so much so..that when Jeff O'Neill went on a rant about his asking price during his holdout...he signed shortly afterwards and then had to record himself saying what this city means to him blah blah.

If he forced the team to keep him and then bolted as a UFA....man...I really wouldn't plan on living in this city after I retired...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad