Player Discussion: Adam Fantilli

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
I don’t want it to happen I just don’t see him lasting much longer with Kent and fantilli coming up. We’re right up against the cap and he looks like he’s wearing down.
Pretty easy to disagree with this. How is he wearing down? Ive said it multiple times that we dont even know how severe his end of season injuries were. It sounded like one of those if they were competing injuries he'd play and since they werent they shut him down. Playing 2nd line as a support to Johnson/Liane at center is ideal

He's. Better. At. Center.
I dont know if its that as much as hes better on an offensive line than a defensive line. I think if hes a support winger on a Jenner-Johnson-Laine he'd be completely fine. Its more of an issue when you pretend hes a guy like Dubinsky when he's not.

Sdrawkcab321

Oct 12, 2014
Cleveland
Pretty easy to disagree with this. How is he wearing down? Ive said it multiple times that we dont even know how severe his end of season injuries were. It sounded like one of those if they were competing injuries he'd play and since they werent they shut him down. Playing 2nd line as a support to Johnson/Liane at center is ideal
When is he suppose to play on the 2nd line though? Kent isn’t ready to play on the first yet. And fantilli is probably 2 years away from being a 1st line center. By that time Boone will most likely be a 3rd line C at best with a contract we can’t afford thanks for jarmos reckless spending.

Reactions: 5minutemajor

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
When is he suppose to play on the 2nd line though? Kent isn’t ready to play on the first yet. And fantilli is probably 2 years away from being a 1st line center. By that time Boone will most likely be a 3rd line C at best with a contract we can’t afford thanks for jarmos reckless spending.
How has he been reckless and how is 3.75 mil for a 30g 60p pace guy unaffordable? Our cap is not perfect due to not having NHL centers but its pretty good and help is on the way. If you use compare this contract on capfriendly with Jenner's deal youll see how good it is. He can play with Johnny this year and Johnson/Laine next year.

LetsGOJackets!!

Mar 23, 2004
Columbus Ohio
Congrats on getting Fantilli, was really happy to see him to to you guys after the Ducks galaxy brained it at #2. Nice bit of justice after you got hosed by the lottery. NICE of you to say thank you

On a lighter note, there's something to be said about a Columbus based sports team drafting a Wolverine to be the face of the franchise, haha. Michigan is pretty good at Hockey.. as professional hockey players I see no problem rooting for them on our team

Sing it with me, guys! "ITS GREAT, TO BE, A MICHIGAN WOLVERRRIIIINNNNE, I SAID ITS GREAT, TO BE, A MICHIGAN WOLVERRRIIIINNE" Now your just being snarky. Your better than this right?
just kidding.. it is kinda funny.

Reactions: WaW

Long Live Lyle

Feb 10, 2019
Chicago, IL
Fantilli is physically ready to play now - he might already be at his final pro playing weight, about 6'2 200. He's had the same build (and beard!) for years.

It's just a question of where you think the best place is to train his mind, Michigan or Columbus. I think there's a good case that it would go best in Columbus, especially under Babcock and next to Gaudreau. He can do things in college that are not the right path in the NHL.
I agree, plus he already played a year in the NCAA (different than if he was entering his freshman year this upcoming season) AND (unlike Johnson and Werenski, as examples) he was already the best player in the country. I’m not sure how much more room there is to grow at Michigan. If anything, it might hurt him/a risk of forming bad habits because he’ll be so much better than most of the guys he’s playing against.

As you allude, it helps that (unlike many/most draft picks, even fellow top-5 picks) he’s pretty much already there physically. That’s half the battle. Plus add in a coach like Babcock (I think he’ll love a guy like Fantilli and a guy like Fantilli would probably take well to Babcock’s style of coaching) who’s extremely knowledgeable, being able to hop right in on a line with either a guy like Gaudreau or a guy like Laine, the added comfort of the other UM guys… I think he should be up in Cbus to be most beneficial for his development.

The cherry on top (beyond his development, which I think we all agree should be the #1 priority) is he’s probably a top-6 center (possibly top-line center) TODAY for us, if he was on the roster. We are a better team NOW with him than without him.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Congrats on getting Fantilli, was really happy to see him to to you guys after the Ducks galaxy brained it at #2. Nice bit of justice after you got hosed by the lottery.

On a lighter note, there's something to be said about a Columbus based sports team drafting a Wolverine to be the face of the franchise, haha.

Sing it with me, guys! "ITS GREAT, TO BE, A MICHIGAN WOLVERRRIIIINNNNE, I SAID ITS GREAT, TO BE, A MICHIGAN WOLVERRRIIIINNE"
Reported for offensive content for the last paragraph. :sarcasm:

WaW

Armchair Assistant Coffee Gofer for the GM
Mar 18, 2017
just kidding.. it is kinda funny.
Yeah I was just joking around with the Michigan stuff. I'm a Michigan college football fan and thought it would be fun considering I imagine most of you are Ohio State fans lol.

Purely from a hockey perspective I'm jealous and happy for you guys to have gotten your franchise center. Probably your best prospect since Rick Nash.

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
I agree, plus he already played a year in the NCAA (different than if he was entering his freshman year this upcoming season) AND (unlike Johnson and Werenski, as examples) he was already the best player in the country. I’m not sure how much more room there is to grow at Michigan. If anything, it might hurt him/a risk of forming bad habits because he’ll be so much better than most of the guys he’s playing against.

As you allude, it helps that (unlike many/most draft picks, even fellow top-5 picks) he’s pretty much already there physically. That’s half the battle. Plus add in a coach like Babcock (I think he’ll love a guy like Fantilli and a guy like Fantilli would probably take well to Babcock’s style of coaching) who’s extremely knowledgeable, being able to hop right in on a line with either a guy like Gaudreau or a guy like Laine, the added comfort of the other UM guys… I think he should be up in Cbus to be most beneficial for his development.

The cherry on top (beyond his development, which I think we all agree should be the #1 priority) is he’s probably a top-6 center (possibly top-line center) TODAY for us, if he was on the roster. We are a better team NOW with him than without him.
I was thinking about the bolded...

When was the last time a 1OA caliber talent was able to be drafted into a position where he already has a deep team behind him and two elite players on his wings?

LetsGOJackets!!

Mar 23, 2004
Columbus Ohio
I was thinking about the bolded...

When was the last time a 1OA caliber talent was able to be drafted into a position where he already has a deep team behind him and two elite players on his wings?
The CBJ are still a work in progress but adding Provorov, Severson and Fantilli & getting the team healthy with Texier back, Voronkov in the US, and Babcock on the bench makes us a team that could definitely push for the 8th seed. If we can figure out the goal tending and get lines to gel we can be dangerous as hell. The East remains stacked.. i don't see any of the top 8 really taking steps back..though the cap space is tight for most of those teams.

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
The CBJ are still a work in progress but adding Provorov, Severson and Fantilli & getting the team healthy with Texier back, Voronkov in the US, and Babcock on the bench makes us a team that could definitely push for the 8th seed. If we can figure out the goal tending and get lines to gel we can be dangerous as hell. The East remains stacked.. i don't see any of the top 8 really taking steps back..though the cap space is tight for most of those teams.
It's gonna be an interesting season for sure. But how many times does a season work out exactly how someone predicts? Teams take unexpected steps back/forth, injury bugs happen, goalies have breakout seasons, etc. But I agree I think we'll be in contention for the wildcard come the TDL.

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
It's gonna be an interesting season for sure. But how many times does a season work out exactly how someone predicts? Teams take unexpected steps back/forth, injury bugs happen, goalies have breakout seasons, etc. But I agree I think we'll be in contention for the wildcard come the TDL.
I think its actually surprising how often a team bottoms out and then bounces back a year later. Phlly and Colorado come to mind

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
I think its actually surprising how often a team surpringly bottoms out and then bounces back a year later. Phlly and Colorado come to mind
NJD. Their D is gonna be so nasty when it's fully developed.

I think we have a chance to lead the next wave of teams taking over the East. NJD is definitely up there and leading the way, but if this team develops properly over the next 2-3 seasons they could easily become perennial playoff team competing for the East.

Reactions: Farmboy Patty

ViD

#CBJNeedHugs
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2007
Blue Jackets Area
Fantilli is physically ready to play now - he might already be at his final pro playing weight, about 6'2 200. He's had the same build (and beard!) for years.

It's just a question of where you think the best place is to train his mind, Michigan or Columbus. I think there's a good case that it would go best in Columbus, especially under Babcock and next to Gaudreau. He can do things in college that are not the right path in the NHL.
As long as he doesn’t get the Sillinger sophomore year, we should be good

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018

I can see us finishing 9th more easily than finishing 8th. Damn good top 8 in the East.

georgiabluejacket

Jun 6, 2002
Georgia
I don’t want it to happen I just don’t see him lasting much longer with Kent and fantilli coming up. We’re right up against the cap and he looks like he’s wearing down.

Boone just had his 2nd best season statistically last year while making 3.75. Not only is he not slowing down, but he's a bargain.

Absolutely HORRIBLE take

SteelCityCannon

Mar 25, 2017
I don’t think Boone will be around much longer.
Gotta disagree there. Hes the heart and soul of the team. He would be one of the best 3C in the league. Gotta hope some combo of Fantilli, Sillinger, or Johnson can fill 1 and 2 long term. Then there's always the Laine wildcard.

I don’t think Boone will be around much longer.
Gotta disagree there. Hes the heart and soul of the team. He would be one of the best 3C in the league. Gotta hope some combo of Fantilli, Sillinger, or Johnson can fill 1 and 2 long term. Then there's always the Laine wildcard.

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
McDavid (Draisaitl, Hall) and MacKinnon drafts (Landy, Duchene, O’Reilly). Avs made the playoffs that first year too.
Colorado yes, I don't think Drai was as established as Gaudreau and Laine both are though. McD and Drai were more like Sid and Geno developing together.

Gaudreau and Laine are undoubtedly established 1st line wingers

Reactions: 5minutemajor

georgiabluejacket

Jun 6, 2002
Georgia
Back on the topic of Fantilli, I wonder if he discreetly let ANA know that he really didn't want to go there and preferred us significantly? I personally didn't hear any of the "I may go back to college" stuff until the last 7-10 days & I wonder if that was a sort of, "I'm not gonna be there next year" message to the Ducks.?

Either way, excited to have him, as I would've been for Carlson, and I hope he does some phenomenal things for us.

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
Back on the topic of Fantilli, I wonder if he discreetly let ANA know that he really didn't want to go there and preferred us significantly? I personally didn't hear any of the "I may go back to college" stuff until the last 7-10 days & I wonder if that was a sort of, "I'm not gonna be there next year" message to the Ducks.?

Either way, excited to have him, as I would've been for Carlson, and I hope he does some phenomenal things for us.
I think someone here(or maybe it was another thread) that he looked like the suit he was wearing the Anaheim purple

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
I dont know if its that as much as hes better on an offensive line than a defensive line. I think if hes a support winger on a Jenner-Johnson-Laine he'd be completely fine. Its more of an issue when you pretend hes a guy like Dubinsky when he's not.
I'm just really, really tired of seeing folks dismiss Jenner and what he does for this team based on early impressions that they never grew out of.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad