Prospect Info: 95th Overall Jordan Spence Defence

Fishhead

Jul 15, 2003
PNW
The Kings will be in the same win-now position next summer that they are right now. Roy and Arvidsson aren't going anywhere, even and especially if it's to the detriment of guys like Spence, Clarke, Kaliyev, Laf next year.
Except they won't be able to afford either of them. Roy is going to get quite a raise, and it's RV's UFA contract.

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
spence11052023.jpg

Updated Spence card just dropped. f*** that's good for a 22yo Dman.

YAYSAY

Feb 18, 2016
I feel like a lot of you guys are forgetting that when teams are in a good "win now position" they often have younger players playing well with cheap contracts. If Spence is playing well enough on a cheap contract then that makes Roy more expendable

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
I feel like a lot of you guys are forgetting that when teams are in a good "win now position" they often have younger players playing well with cheap contracts. If Spence is playing well enough on a cheap contract then that makes Roy more expendable

Contending teams rarely cycle those guys out in-season, though. They'd rather run out the term than simply recoup an asset. I think Roy and Arvy are both in this boat. Dudes are gonna get paid and we can't afford them. But on the meantime they're on sweetheart deals and better than any players that can replace them

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
I agree. But it wouldn't be expected to happen before the playoffs end. That's when vets are leaned on the most

bland

Jul 1, 2004
Neither Spence or Clarke will be killing penalties, and neither will be able to thrive against heavy physicality. The right thing to do is to go with the kids and plan a big run a year or two down the road when all the young talent is acclimated and hopefully thriving.

But that isn't happening here. The real issue is Doughty. He won't be able to play big minutes forever, so you want the kids to take over those key offensive spots. However, if you go with Spence and Clarke next year, your matchups are screwed if you are looking for immediate results. Roy does so many things well that losing him in those situations and replacing him with smaller, inexperienced offensive-leaning kids will be a severe blow. Also, Doughty will not accept being taken off of the PP, so what's the point of carrying two similar players and not using one to their premier strength while being significantly weaker in other areas?

Its not an easy decision to make.

David Lunch

Apr 11, 2018
Neither Spence or Clarke will be killing penalties, and neither will be able to thrive against heavy physicality. The right thing to do is to go with the kids and plan a big run a year or two down the road when all the young talent is acclimated and hopefully thriving.

But that isn't happening here. The real issue is Doughty. He won't be able to play big minutes forever, so you want the kids to take over those key offensive spots. However, if you go with Spence and Clarke next year, your matchups are screwed if you are looking for immediate results. Roy does so many things well that losing him in those situations and replacing him with smaller, inexperienced offensive-leaning kids will be a severe blow. Also, Doughty will not accept being taken off of the PP, so what's the point of carrying two similar players and not using one to their premier strength while being significantly weaker in other areas?

I feel like Spence could become a PK2 defender but he’ll need to get a lot of reps this season. With the top 4 already being big, naturally defensive minded players, I think it’s the only way Spence will gets a look is if there’s an injury.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
I mean if TM is willing to play Durzi on the wrong side on the PK I dont know why Spence wouldn't get a look

but I definitely think it would take some injuries etc

I like that he's being played to his strengths so far thugh, that's a nice change in deployment strategy this year.

Remparts666

Feb 11, 2021
Man he looked good yesterday ! Has he been playing like that all year ? Wishing for him and Clarke to drive the PP as soon as next year

Reactions: Lt Dan

bmr

Jan 23, 2013

It really comes down to losing one of Roy, Spence or Clarke. What you're saying makes total sense.

BaileyFan

Jun 14, 2023

I think Spence gets the Vilardi treatment next summer. There's no chance Blake allows Roy to walk when he's staked his job on winning within the next couple years. He will be signed to a lengthy extension. Spence like Vilardi is an RFA in line for a modest raise with a replacement theoretically in line to take his spot. Especially if Spence breaks out, I think he'll be packaged in a deal for a goalie around the draft.

tbrown33

Jun 22, 2019
I think Spence gets the Vilardi treatment next summer. There's no chance Blake allows Roy to walk when he's staked his job on winning within the next couple years. He will be signed to a lengthy extension. Spence like Vilardi is an RFA in line for a modest raise with a replacement theoretically in line to take his spot. Especially if Spence breaks out, I think he'll be packaged in a deal for a goalie around the draft.
Spence has broken out. Those of us who have been banging the drum on how good he is saw this coming. Considering his ceiling and age, moving him would be a giant mistake.

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
Unless that goalie is Wallstedt i am not interested

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

SmytheKing

Apr 7, 2007
Unless that goalie is Wallstedt i am not interested
I'm pretty sure you're being facetious but I really think people are overestimating the likelihood that the Kings could get him. MIN has absolutely no reason to move him. In fact, I doubt they'd have any interest in moving him for anything less than someone like Bedard. In other words, a no brainer impossible to say no to trade.

We needed to get him on draft day.

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
I'm pretty sure you're being facetious but I really think people are overestimating the likelihood that the Kings could get him. MIN has absolutely no reason to move him. In fact, I doubt they'd have any interest in moving him for anything less than someone like Bedard. In other words, a no brainer impossible to say no to trade.

We needed to get him on draft day.
No way do I think the Wild would sniff a spence for wallstedt one for one

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad