Rumor: 2024 Trade Rumors and Free Agency Thread: Post Deadline

Status
Not open for further replies.

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
So a 100pt player for a 3rd liner and some magic beans. f***ing awful.
It's the 5m in capspace for next year that's the biggest part. And more than 5m for the future...

Which is the only reason you should consider trading Rantanen. All this stuff about trading Rantanen to some pieces that equal his cap space are frankly stupid. You are not getting better doing that. The only motivation to trade Rantanen should be to acquire capspace to be able to retain pieces of this roster.

Reactions: MarkT

Ararana

Sep 22, 2013
Two Rivers
With Nuke persumably gone, my opinion on Rantanen shifts damn near completely. They have to keep him. They also have to do everything they can to keep Drouin.

Drouin/Rantanen/Lekonen are the only top six skilled wingers they have left on the roster. Even if Landy comes back next year, I doubt he's more than a third liner at this point.

Assuming Mittelstadt works out long term at 2C, centers are finally becoming the strength of the Avs forwards - as it should be. The good news is finding a top six RW in the offseason should be much f***ing easier than a top six center. Preferably a shoot first winger to compliment Mitts.

Last edited:
Reactions: Freaky Styley

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
It's the 5m in capspace for next year that's the biggest part. And more than 5m for the future...

Which is the only reason you should consider trading Rantanen. All this stuff about trading Rantanen to some pieces that equal his cap space are frankly stupid. You are not getting better doing that. The only motivation to trade Rantanen should be to acquire capspace to be able to retain pieces of this roster.
Better be a pretty damn good prospect then. I get that cap space is valuable trust me and I’m in no way against trading Mikko in the right deal. But Crouse and a prospect isn’t a great deal unless that’s a damn f***ing good prospect.

Drouin-Mack-Lehky
Landy-Mitts-Crouse
Wood-Colton-LOC
xxx-xxx-Kovalenko

That’s rough looking forward core to work with this off-season.

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
I'm desperately hoping that Utah wants to make a big splash and we can somehow get Cooley and Guenther in exchange for an extended Rantanen.
Coming to think of it, Utah could be an interesting destination for Rants. He doesn't exactly need to go and chase a cup. I'm pretty sure the big countryman of his, Lauri Markkanen could be persuaded to talk him into SLC.

Reactions: The Moops

Bender

Sep 25, 2002
I agree but these playoffs are the exception. He could even be playing injured.

Ultimately I don't think we can pay 13-14M for him. However whether we want to keep him for next season and let him walk, or trade him, that is an interesting dilemma.
I mean, that's the issue. With Rants, no matter how poorly he's playing - and to be 100% fair, I find that he's been a lot better the last 2 games with his effort - no matter what he always seems to put up points.

The good thing about that is that his value should stay pretty strong throughout the league and if he were made available in the off-season, there would be a lot of GMs salivating to try and get their hands on him - not just for their team but for the massive PR move it would be. (Kind of like when gaudreau decided on Columbus -> oh my god, they got HIM!?!?! :laugh: )

This is the way I see it. Let's say you move Rantanen to Carolina - a team who needs maybe that kind of winger with game-breaking skill and in return we get a package that includes Necas++.

Well, Necas' new deal would probably put him in the 7M range give or take and he's a guy who's been able to put up points but he hasn't been playing with players as good as the Avs have got. So maybe instead of being a 60 point guy, he becomes an 80 point guy. And Rantanen, just on his skill and ability alone - maybe he's not a 100 point guy anymore but he's probably still a PPG guy and that would be very valuable on the Hurricanes even at a high salary.

So you kind of lose maybe about 20 points overall but you get younger and you save about $5M in cap space if Rantanen was going to re-sign for like $12M per year.

Not suggesting the Avs would do this or the Canes would do this - it's just an example of the Avs getting younger and saving some cap space.

John Mandalorian

2022 Avs: The First Dance
Nov 29, 2018

That and trading to a team he won’t re-sign with for valuable pieces the other team won’t trade (because he won’t sign with them) are daft ideas one often sees.

Colorado Avalanche

No Babe pictures
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2004
Lieto
It's interesting to see different angle, Edmonton fans asking to trade one of the McDrai. That's madness to me.

Is it same with us and Rantanen?

Although their team overall just isn't very good. Defense especially.

TruePowerSlave

Jun 27, 2015
It's interesting to see different angle, Edmonton fans asking to trade one of the McDrai. That's madness to me.

Is it same with us and Rantanen?

Although their team overall just isn't very good. Defense especially.
Lunacy. The only reason they are even this good is McDrai and that´s not even debatable.

Rantanen too gets way too much stick here for a 100+ point player. At least with the Avs there is the debate that the added cap space and extra assets would be worth it.

Colorado Avalanche

No Babe pictures
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2004
Lieto
Lunacy. The only reason they are even this good is McDrai and that´s not even debatable.

Rantanen too gets way too much stick here for a 100+ point player. At least with the Avs there is the debate that the added cap space and extra assets would be worth it.
Exactly. They need to keep these guys and change the supporting group. It ain't good enough.

Instead good chance they lose both soon, which would hurt a lot.. they don't realize it yet but if they leave, ouch.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad