Patriots/NFL 2024 Off Season: Free Agency, Draft Part III

Mione134

Queen in the North
Sponsor
Mar 30, 2010
Hogwarts-617
Then they will probably need to bring in a different QB. Because if they don't think Maye is ready to play it wouldn't make sense to throw him in if Brissett goes down. Zappe thinking he's better than awful Mac Jones doesn't have to mean anything more than that. If they were in line with your thinking why is he still on the team right now? Zappe is a better QB than rookie Joe Milton.
If Brissett goes down, you bring in another veteran. You don't keep Zappe just in case

Johnnyduke

Oct 30, 2007
If Brissett goes down, you bring in another veteran. You don't keep Zappe just in case
I meant from day one they should have someone else other than Zappe then. Like if Brissett gets hurt in a game or throws 4 interceptions in a half. If they don't think Maye is ready then who goes in? If you don't want it to be Zappe than they should bring in someone else now or before the season starts.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
I think there's a 100% chance they stay with Wolf and that this is a dog and pony show.
Would be insanely stupid at this point to have somebody else do it after he’s more or less run everything this offseason. You would think if they were serious about it being somebody else they would’ve hired the person before free agency or the draft at the very least

Reactions: EverettMike

Johnnyduke

Oct 30, 2007
Would be insanely stupid at this point to have somebody else do it after he’s more or less run everything this offseason. You would think if they were serious about it being somebody else they would’ve hired the person before free agency or the draft at the very least
Well what if they aren't thrilled with the work he did in free agency and in the draft? Doesn't matter though, they went cheap at HC and they will go cheap and retain Wolf.

EvilDead

Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.
Nov 6, 2014
Taiwan
I prefer Roarke over Milton for depth, they had other areas they could have filled instead of taking Milton.

I agree. At the same time, it's possible that Rourke got a real offer from the CFL to go back to play and his window to accept and get acclimated is short since their season starts up in a month's time. So it's likely that he saw the writing on the wall, got a call from a CFL team in need of a QB, and asked for his release.

Reactions: bbfan419

EvilDead

Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.
Nov 6, 2014
Taiwan
I don't see in any situation how it's good to have Bailey Zappe on your team when you're trying to develop your #1 franchise QB. Because Bailey  thinks hes the franchise #1. Hes ccommented on it. Hes said it. Hes cocky about it. It's a distraction. You can let him and Milton battle for the 3rd QB spot.

But going forward. He should be nowhere near this team.

They need to get assets worth some value for Zappe though. Once they can get actual assets, punt his ass to the curb.

bbfan419

Jul 3, 2006
Moncton NB
I agree. At the same time, it's possible that Rourke got a real offer from the CFL to go back to play and his window to accept and get acclimated is short since their season starts up in a month's time. So it's likely that he saw the writing on the wall, got a call from a CFL team in need of a QB, and asked for his release.
True never thought of that and I would think every team in the CFL would be interested in him.

Johnnyduke

Oct 30, 2007
Krafts 100% botched this GM "search" process. Just a total farce. Not even up for debate. The only good that comes of this now is that the guys mentioned above are at least getting their names out in the public. But everyone knows Wolf is getting the job. Just like they should have done a coaching search. Lazy, uninspiring, cheap.

GatorMike

Jul 18, 2022
Woburn, MA
Krafts 100% botched this GM "search" process. Just a total farce. Not even up for debate. The only good that comes of this now is that the guys mentioned above are at least getting their names out in the public. But everyone knows Wolf is getting the job. Just like they should have done a coaching search. Lazy, uninspiring, cheap.
I'm not sure they "botched" anything.

If Wolf ends up getting the job -- and I think that's by far the most likely outcome -- then it's probably because he's the guy the Krafts wanted all along.

They had a succession plan and they stuck to it.

Johnnyduke

Oct 30, 2007
They're getting turned down for interviews because everyone knows it's a sham process. So ya, they did not handle this like they should have. But of course Wolf is the guy the Krafts wanted all along. Just like Jerod Mayo. They were extremely lazy in this process. You don't just promote from within without exploring outside options when your organization was a dumpster fire.

Last edited:

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
I'm not sure they "botched" anything.

If Wolf ends up getting the job -- and I think that's by far the most likely outcome -- then it's probably because he's the guy the Krafts wanted all along.

They had a succession plan and they stuck to it.

True but it's another strike against the "no more business as usual" mantra they want to sell. So far its been bring in no outside/fresh voices and just stick with existing employees who'll come cheap

Reactions: Johnnyduke

GatorMike

Jul 18, 2022
Woburn, MA
True but it's another strike against the "no more business as usual" mantra they want to sell. So far its been bring in no outside/fresh voices and just stick with existing employees who'll come cheap
"No outside/fresh voices" is a little harsh.

Have they brought in outside voices to run things? Clearly not.

Have they brought in some new voices from outside the organization in several key positions? Yes.

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida
not too worried about the internal hirings. If Maye doesn't turn out to be the guy they won't go anywhere relevant. an elite QB makes everyone look good at their job

EverettMike

FIRE DON SWEENEY INTO THE SUN
Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com
"No outside/fresh voices" is a little harsh.

Have they brought in outside voices to run things? Clearly not.

Have they brought in some new voices from outside the organization in several key positions? Yes.

They didn't get their top choice for offensive coordinator because they wouldn't give him the salary he wanted and got elsewhere. So instead the turned to the fired OC of Cleveland who never even called plays.

Maybe he'll be great, but I think they've done a lot this off-season worthy of some very fair criticism.

Reactions: Mione134

pemulis

Sponsor
Jun 15, 2008
postdocing in Sydney
They didn't get their top choice for offensive coordinator because they wouldn't give him the salary he wanted and got elsewhere. So instead the turned to the fired OC of Cleveland who never even called plays.

Maybe he'll be great, but I think they've done a lot this off-season worthy of some very fair criticism.
Was salary the issue for their top choices? If so, that's awful work by the patriots.

Reactions: EverettMike

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
Can’t believe no one made a joke about Brady’s hair plugs at the roast. Wish Kraft had been totally fair game and everyone could have taken their shot at him over the massage parlor.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad