2024 Draft

FLAMESFAN

Feb 27, 2002
The players from 3-12ish are all pretty interchangeable for me.

If I’m moving picks and solid prospects I’d rather move up from Van’s pick and try to snag a Connelly in the early 20s
I think there's a good possibility we could trade Markstrom to Detroit and get their 15th
It would likely involve taking back an overpriced player and retention though.
But imagine having #9, #15, & another late 1st?

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Honestly, I go to New Jersey.
I go to New Jersey and I paint the picture of 'you had essentially three PPG players on your team. You had a guy who would of had almost 100 points if he played the full season. You have one of the most dynamic young defence corps in the entire NHL. The team was a top ten shot generating club in the league, a team that statistically should have outscored their opponents every night, yet you couldn't get a goalie to give you a 900 save percentage, or make a big save. You had a bottom 5 save percentage in the entire league this year.'

I know the talks broke down between them, but honestly, Markstrom + 29 or w/e the Van pick ends up being for pick 10 isn't too far off in my humble opinion. Markstrom was the only reason this team was remotely looking competitive for portions of the year this year. Even with a depleted defense, and nothing to play for for the last 1/4 of the season he still managed a a better GAA and SV% than any of the Devils goalies that played 10 or more games.

FLAMESFAN

Feb 27, 2002
I go to New Jersey and I paint the picture of 'you had essentially three PPG players on your team. You had a guy who would of had almost 100 points if he played the full season. You have one of the most dynamic young defence corps in the entire NHL. The team was a top ten shot generating club in the league, a team that statistically should have outscored their opponents every night, yet you couldn't get a goalie to give you a 900 save percentage, or make a big save. You had a bottom 5 save percentage in the entire league this year.'

I know the talks broke down between them, but honestly, Markstrom + 29 or w/e the Van pick ends up being for pick 10 isn't too far off in my humble opinion. Markstrom was the only reason this team was remotely looking competitive for portions of the year this year. Even with a depleted defense, and nothing to play for for the last 1/4 of the season he still managed a a better GAA and SV% than any of the Devils goalies that played 10 or more games.
Read the thread on the trade proposal boards. NJ fans seem to think it's way off.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Read the thread on the trade proposal boards. NJ fans seem to think it's way off.

I just posted there.
Fans just get too excited around the draft time. Every year as we get closer we start believing that everyone in the top 12-15 of a draft is going to change a franchise.

Most people can't get past the idea that GMs work for a living. It's not make belief for them. IF they don't produce, they get fired and lose out on a jobs that people would kill for. I mean, in 2020 Calgary moved down 6 spots at the draft for a couple third rounders lol. You'd imagine a ~20 point swing would be worth a star goalie and potentially offset picks.

Backlund

Dec 29, 2009
Calgary, AB
You cannot say with that certainty, but I really hope he is.

He isn't ranked high enough to think we need to move up to 5 in order to draft him. The likelihood of him being there at 9 is way too high to justify moving up for him. If his last name wasn't Iginla we wouldn't even care if he was still there.

Qubax

Oct 25, 2002
Visit site
He isn't ranked high enough to think we need to move up to 5 in order to draft him. The likelihood of him being there at 9 is way too high to justify moving up for him. If his last name wasn't Iginla we wouldn't even care if he was still there.
Here's my thoughts on this.

I agree that if he wasn't named Iginla we wouldn't care.

But I think his name matters two fold.

1. We are moving towards a new building. We need excitement in the city and Jarome working for the Flames and drafting his kid would absolutely be a feel good thing for the city.

2. One of the biggest issues with young hockey players is - will they be professional with their training and mindset to make the leap. Will they overcome hardships and friction when life is thrown at them. Being an Iginla means Jarome is your dad. He's a good role model and dare I say better than many young men may receive. That has real world impacts on development and reaching your upside. So in this sense, yes his name being Tij Iginla does make a difference. If his name was Nathan Stapler I too would take him 5-10 slots lower.

Last edited:

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.

If the rumours from the insiderrrrrrs from CP were even remotely close to true, get that deal back on the table (was a 1st and a pretty good young player IIRC) and add the Canucks 1st to make up the difference in draft position.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Here's my thoughts on this.

I agree that if he wasn't named Iginla we wouldn't care.

But I think his name matters two fold.

1. We are moving towards a new building. We need excitement in the city and Jarome working for the Flames and drafting his kid would absolutely be a feel good thing for the city.

2. One of the biggest issues with young hockey players is - will they be professional with their training and mindset to make the leap. Will they overcome hardships and friction when life is thrown at them. Being an Iginla means Jarome is your dad. He's a good role model and dare I say better than many young men may receive. That has real world impacts on development and reaching your upside. So in this sense, yes his name being Tij Iginla does make a difference. If his name was Nathan Stapler I too would take him 5-10 slots lower.
Threefold: having players want to play here when they get into their mid-20s is an unfortunate but legit concern.

Iginla is much more likely to be a guy who wants to stick around here imo.

Reactions: Ace Rimmer

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
Threefold: having players want to play here when they get into their mid-20s is an unfortunate but legit concern.
I think this fear will subside with new facilities in place for the team. It will also help the organization take that next step in competing when they decide it is time to transition out of the rebuild. It's somewhat of a minor miracle that they have been able to draft and develop at the rate they have with the current systems in place. Not to mention the 2019, 2022 division titles

Qubax

Oct 25, 2002
Visit site

Iginla is much more likely to be a guy who wants to stick around here imo.
Yes that's true. Good point.

I was going to say we'll sell lots of Jersey's but perhaps a lot of people will just wear their #12 Iginla Jersey's or renumber their current Jersey's

Whereas if they draft Catton people will have to buy a new jersey

Body Checker

Aug 11, 2005
Hate to say it but need some size and snarl. Playoffs continue to be a bloodbath. Thinking Iginla will be gone by 9 so Yakemchuk might be the guy to build the next great Flames defence around.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad