Value of: Jets 1st, Mesar, Avs 2nd, One of (Harris, Ylonen, Farrell)

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
There's a huge drop off in talent after 14/15 or so in this draft. Teams will want more quality in a trade back then a bunch of quantity like this.
Your own team traded down from 11 to get 27, 34, 45 just two years ago. Many saw a drop in talent at around the same mark too.
Calen Addison was once named to the AHL all rookie team...that award doesn't all of a sudden make a prospect worth a lottery pick.
15th OA is worth a lottery pick now?

AmeriHab

Aug 3, 2012
NY
This is the same value as Halak, Ryder and a 2nd from 15 years ago or whatever.

It doesn't happen

Grinner

May 31, 2022
Your own team traded down from 11 to get 27, 34, 45 just two years ago. Many saw a drop in talent at around the same mark too.

15th OA is worth a lottery pick now?
The circumstances have changed dramatically. Giers inherent a barren prospect pool.

Bizz

2023 LTIR Loophole* Cup Champions
Oct 17, 2007
San Jose
OP could throw in Slackoffsky and I still wouldn't accept that trash offer.

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
The circumstances have changed dramatically. Giers inherent a barren prospect pool.
I'm talking about value where the poster's point is completely contradicted by what his team did recently. I'm not talking about the Sharks.

Grinner

May 31, 2022
"Teams will want more quality in a trade back then a bunch of quantity like this.". The Sharks literally just got quantity in that trade which is why I brought it up.
I suppose if you find a team that's looking for quantity over quality. As Grier clearly was

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
This is the same value as Halak, Ryder and a 2nd from 15 years ago or whatever.

It doesn't happen
:facepalm:

Halak won over 200 games after leaving Montreal, with a SV % over .910 in 9 of his 14 seasons thereafter.

Ryder had a 27 & 35 goal season ( & 3x18g seasons) to go with a 17pt/25 game run to the cup with the Bruins.

The Halak, Ryder, 2nd trade proposal was, at the time, and doubly so in hindsight, a perfect example of how blind biased disdain for all things Montreal leads to idiotic takes.

This pick & prospect group would be lucky to surpass the actual value Halak & Ryder created for the teams they went after leaving Montreal.

Try again lol

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
"Teams will want more quality in a trade back then a bunch of quantity like this.". The Sharks literally just got quantity in that trade which is why I brought it up.

And some are pointing out that the value on someone like Mesar isn’t 34oa or even 45oa comparable right now.

Reactions: Bluenotes27

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
And some are pointing out that the value on someone like Mesar isn’t 34oa or even 45oa comparable right now.
If 45 OA is far more valuable than Mesar then the Jets first is significantly more valuable than the 34 OA. 34+45 are not quality pieces, it’s okay to admit you are wrong instead of keeping up with the hypocrisy.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
If 45 OA is far more valuable than Mesar then the Jets first is significantly more valuable than the 34 OA. 34+45 are not quality pieces, it’s okay to admit you are wrong instead of keeping up with the hypocrisy.

What else have I said in this thread other than that post?

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
The Jets pick and some combo of a couple of seconds could be enough to move up. The issue is that the players mentioned and the Avs pick likely don’t hold the value of the last few times this sort of deal was made.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I wouldn't trade a conditional 7th for that verified bust.

IMG_4815.gif

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Here are some recent late 1sts in the OHL

Easton Cowan, Quintin Musty, Calum Ritchie. Rank 2, 1, and 6th in the OHL in PPG respectively.

I think you got to name a lot more than 3 players to quantity this conversation

I think you're way over valuing Mailloux.

Nah... He's was very good in the AHL last year and I would have him grade A today. Big body, skates well, has a great shot, and is showing maturity/trust in his own end.

Mesar is B+ and Mailloux is grade A.

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
I think you got to name a lot more than 3 players to quantity this conversation

Nah... He's was very good in the AHL last year and I would have him grade A today. Big body, skates well, has a great shot, and is showing maturity/trust in his own end.

Mesar is B+ and Mailloux is grade A.
I think we can agree to disagree. Obviously our valuations and ratings are subjective. One comment though, I find your opinion of Slaf very reserved in comparison to these prospects. Any particular reason why?

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I think we can agree to disagree. Obviously our valuations and ratings are subjective. One comment though, I find your opinion of Slaf very reserved in comparison to these prospects. Any particular reason why?

With Slaf, I'm calming down the hype. He had a good 2nd half playing with Suzuki. We need more sample size yet before I peg him to be that star winger. Today, I have him with 60-80 pts potential. He has to show more for me to bump him to more than that.

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
With Slaf, I'm calming down the hype. He had a good 2nd half playing with Suzuki. We need more sample size yet before I peg him to be that star winger. Today, I have him with 60-80 pts potential. He has to show more for me to bump him to more than that.
That's fair and I totally agree. My issue/point of disagreement is on the valuation of our prospects. I think they're good, but they need to prove more before warranting such high value.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
That's fair and I totally agree. My issue/point of disagreement is on the valuation of our prospects. I think they're good, but they need to prove more before warranting such high value.

Mailloux has proved a lot and his full AHL season was very good. It was effective at both sides of the ice. He's grade A for me. Not blue chip. Blue Chip for me is sure shot top pairing. Grade A is a very solid shot at top 4D. Mailloux has this in him and maturity is showing earlier than what Barron is going through.

In a redraft, Mailloux gets picked much earlier. No way I'm adding him in some "quantity" package that also includes a 1st. Mailloux alone is worth a pick from 10-15 and I wouldn't even make that move. Habs need Mailloux on our RD side with Reinbacher.

I absolutly love the Xhekaj / Mailloux pairing. They were very effective when paired together in the AHL last year.

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
Mailloux has proved a lot and his full AHL season was very good. It was effective at both sides of the ice. He's grade A for me. Not blue chip. Blue Chip for me is sure shot top pairing. Grade A is a very solid shot at top 4D. Mailloux has this in him and maturity is showing earlier than what Barron is going through.

In a redraft, Mailloux gets picked much earlier. No way I'm adding him in some "quantity" package that also includes a 1st. Mailloux alone is worth a pick from 10-15 and I wouldn't even make that move. Habs need Mailloux on our RD side with Reinbacher.

I absolutly love the Xhekaj / Mailloux pairing. They were very effective when paired together in the AHL last year.
There are many other prospects on almost every team that have similar value. Mailloux has gone from being a reach, to living up to his draft position. Maybe improved slightly. I don't think he's worth a top 15 pick... Not yet at least.

Reactions: Bluenotes27

Stewie Griffin

What the deuce
May 9, 2019
Canada
That was about a week after Grier got hired and the sharks had a terrible prospect pool. Rumour was they wanted one of Savoie, Korchinski, or Mintyukov and they were all gone at 11 so he traded down to restock the cupboard/get extra picks instead of taking a guy he didn't 100% want.

Either way, my point was Mesar and that COL 2nd aren't much incentive to trade back from 10-15 down 10 spots or so. You can read the thread for the Mesar arguments, but that COL 2nd is pretty late. Not the same as the 34+45 the sharks got 2 years ago.

HabbyGuy

Apr 10, 2003
Hamilton Ontario
Visit site
There are many other prospects on almost every team that have similar value. Mailloux has gone from being a reach, to living up to his draft position. Maybe improved slightly. I don't think he's worth a top 15 pick... Not yet at least.

Mailloux was never a reach, it's quite the opposite, he dropped down the draft because of his off ice issue. He himself said he didn't even want to be drafted before he could rehabilitate his shortcoming. All things being equal without the terribly poor distasteful decision on his behalf ever happening, he easily goes much higher in his draft year.

Last edited:

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
Mailloux was never a reach, it's quite the opposite, he dropped down the draft because of his off ice issue. He himself said he didn't even want to be drafted before he could rehabilitate his shortcoming. All things being equal without the terribly poor distasteful decision on his behalf ever happening, he easily goes much higher in his draft year.
Most if not all pre-draft rankings I've seen has him as an early to mid 2nd rounder at best. Even in the Habs board, we had complained that he was a reach after he was drafted. Character factors into rankings for ALL prospects. Not sure why you're ignoring that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad