GDT: 2020 NHL Entry Draft - it took 84 years, but it's finally over

What position will Zito pick?

• Total voters

FrolikFan67

Apr 29, 2012
Could have potentially drafted an entire 3rd line today. Which is of course a huge if, since having 4 guys in a single draft make your lineup fulltime is unlikely at any point in time, but:

Heineman-Smilanic-Sourdif

All have good size, hard compete levels, can work hard on the forecheck/backcheck, get physical, mindful D game, while still possessing enough offense to contribute.

Reactions: harv33173

violaswallet

Apr 8, 2019
Is it just me and bias or is this an A plus draft? Really, really like all picks so far.
It was okay: major difference is that Tallon’s draft focused a lot on size sometimes and seemed to pick some different players...I rarely got excited about picks below the second round with him

SoupyFIN

#OneTerritory
Nov 7, 2011
Teams still have like 4 minutes to decide at this point of the draft, really? It should be 1.5 minutes max and move along.

pantherbot

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 7, 2006
Seems like we're going BPA through the whole draft which is the right approach. Never know what we'll need in a couple years. Our D isn't that bad, we already have our No. 1 guy locked in with Ekblad, hopefully we get Weegs signed to a decent contract, that's another guy in the top-4. We got some good D prospects with Koly, Gildon, Keeper, Priskie, Stillman to fill in the bottom 4, and we can always add via trade or free agency if we really need to.

Solid draft, good job by Zito.

letsgrowcactus

Jan 21, 2017
Grrrrrr.... waiting the last hour or so for the 137 pick before I go to sleep and they trade it?!

FinlandPanther

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 16, 2009
Florida
Seems like we're going BPA through the whole draft which is the right approach. Never know what we'll need in a couple years. Our D isn't that bad, we already have our No. 1 guy locked in with Ekblad, hopefully we get Weegs signed to a decent contract, that's another guy in the top-4. We got some good D prospects with Koly, Gildon, Keeper, Priskie, Stillman to fill in the bottom 4, and we can always add via trade or free agency if we really need to.

Solid draft, good job by Zito.
Agreed. I know people are kind of eh we didn’t go D crazy but we got some excellent value picks. I can see 3ish players making this team which would be amazing.

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
Eh, our D is bad lol. But if we can lock up a quality D or two to a mid-long term contract, it won't be that bad. The only thing is the expansion draft, we already have to protect Ek, Weegar and Yandle. So we might actually have to protect 4 d-men. And then there's Stillman. So the best way is still to draft.

batting1k

Mar 3, 2013
One key thing I’m seeing is there are tons of quotes about each of our picks (from coaches, their GMs, teammates, etc) that they all have a desire to win, work hard, etc.

This is how you start to build a culture.

You draft players that have a high desire to win and put in what it takes to win and you develop them over time.

Dale always preached character but being a nice guy does not necessarily equate to players that are hard to play against, have a strong desire to win, and are willing to put the work in.

Last edited:

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
One key thing I’m seeing is there are tons of quotes about each of our picks (from coaches, their GMs, teammates, etc) that they all have a desire to win, work hard, etc.

This is how you start to build a culture.

You draft players that have a high desire to win and put in what it takes to win and you develop them over time.

Dale always preached character but being a nice guy does not necessarily equate to players that are hard to play against, have a strong desire to win, and are willing to put the work in.

I agree the first drafts from Tallon/Luce were junk but the recent ones have some guys that seem determined to get better, Denisenko, Ludvig, and Kolyachonok to name a few.

batting1k

Mar 3, 2013
I agree the first drafts from Tallon/Luce were junk but the recent ones have some guys that seem determined to get better, Denisenko, Ludvig, and Kolyachonok to name a few.

Our drafts were junk from 2010-2017. I don’t give Tallon the benefit of the doubt for those 2 years.

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
Pronman ranked our draft as a B.
11th out of the 31 teams.
Didnt really go in depth.
Thought Lundell was a bit high at 12 but really likes him as a player.
And briefly touched on him liking Sourdif at 87.

He published a more in depth look in a follow up article.

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania

Sounds about right. I can't really think of any picks we made that weren't good value. I mean Sourdif at 87...he could be over a ppg next season. He was on pace for it early on, he just needs to bulk up and improve his consistency. Benning is the wildcard and could become the steal of the draft...or an ahler.

iam76

Sep 30, 2011
Connecticut

is it behind a paywall causeee nooooo thanks

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
Sounds about right. I can't really think of any picks we made that weren't good value. I mean Sourdif at 87...he could be over a ppg next season. He was on pace for it early on, he just needs to bulk up and improve his consistency. Benning is the wildcard and could become the steal of the draft...or an ahler.

Last years draft rating from him was a C.
Im excited about Heineman, Benning and Levi.
Lundell needs to train with Barkov in off season and get quicker/more agile.
Don't know much about Sourdif tbh. Will check his highlights.

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
Last years draft rating from him was a C.
Im excited about Heineman, Benning and Levi.
Lundell needs to train with Barkov in off season and get quicker/more agile.
Don't know much about Sourdif tbh. Will check his highlights.

I'm pretty sure Lundell will be stalking Barkov now lol. He looked like a 7 year old girl with a crush when they asked him about playing with Sasha.

Reactions: TheImpatientPanther

violaswallet

Apr 8, 2019
Yuppers. Now that I read it, looks like he didnt add much to be honest.
He had his previous writeup about each player and just added a small paragraph and quote from a coach after knowing they went to FLA.
Yeah Pronman doesn’t necessarily think through team need. I enjoy his prospect information but he gets caught up on how view and it becomes ‘how many spots late against my rankings?’ He really doesn’t like Lundell as well which determines how one thinks through our draft

Reactions: TheImpatientPanther

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad