Value of: Utah 2025 1st and two 2024 2nd round picks

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
View attachment 873045

Pretty sad to see.

Not saying for a first but Habs have some decent young defense available to trade and would sure be in your top4.
Struble and Barron would be a great fit in Utah
Durzi, Moser and probably Valimaki will be signed. They also have Kesselring and Kolychonok in the minors. There is talk they will go hard after some UFA D.

So:

UFA - Druzi
Moser - UFA
Valimaki - Kesselring

Struble probably an upgrade over Valimaki.

Barron is probably not an upgrade over Kesselring.

Reactions: Lockin17

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Tampa has done similar trades. Vegas did it to snag Hertl. Pittsburgh did it for Karlsson. It happens plenty.
Sure but usually there is a background narrative going on and there wouldn't be one for Ferraro other than the Sharks really wanting that first.

I could see a team like Boston making this move perhaps with more parts and lindholm (except for the NTC) or Loheri going to Utah.

The problem is that the availability of older stabilizing Dmen is that most of the more desirable ones have NTC.

The 1st in 25 and 2 seconds this year should in theory get them something but they might have to alter it a bit to get it done.

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
I think I could see Ferraro returning a 2nd and a 4th on the high end.

If Utah is giving up a 1st, I feel like they could do a lot better than Ferraro.
There is ZERO chance Utah gives up 5th overall for Ferraro. A high second is a good get for San Jose.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Sure but usually there is a background narrative going on and there wouldn't be one for Ferraro other than the Sharks really wanting that first.

I could see a team like Boston making this move perhaps with more parts and lindholm (except for the NTC) or Loheri going to Utah.

The problem is that the availability of older stabilizing Dmen is that most of the more desirable ones have NTC.

The 1st in 25 and 2 seconds this year should in theory get them something but they might have to alter it a bit to get it done.
There could still be background narrative going on. That's what the cap dump or returning draft pick may play a part in. Sharks can take on a team's cap dump for them for relatively cheap while providing a useful player to a competitive group. It may also involve a third team like it did with Karlsson. Some of the guys Boston may get to move on might have the Sharks on their no-trade list but another team might have interest where something could get done. I doubt it's some priority for Grier given the lottery luck. Our next priority is getting a #1 defenseman that is in line with Celebrini's window. For the Sharks, that probably means going through the draft and whatever methods of moving up to snag one is out there is going to be looked at.

Dead Coyote

Oct 10, 2017
I’d say, the Utah franchise doesn’t have a single NHL defender under contract at this time.

I could see Shea Theodore being available with only one season remaining on his contract.
:laugh: What a disingenuous post. Yes, all of them are unsigned. Most of them are RFA's though.

View attachment 873045

Pretty sad to see.

Not saying for a first but Habs have some decent young defense available to trade and would sure be in your top4.
Struble and Barron would be a great fit in Utah
Neither are better than Moser, Durzi, or Valimaki, and might not even be better than Kesselring, so I highly doubt that.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
There could still be background narrative going on. That's what the cap dump or returning draft pick may play a part in. Sharks can take on a team's cap dump for them for relatively cheap while providing a useful player to a competitive group. It may also involve a third team like it did with Karlsson. Some of the guys Boston may get to move on might have the Sharks on their no-trade list but another team might have interest where something could get done. I doubt it's some priority for Grier given the lottery luck. Our next priority is getting a #1 defenseman that is in line with Celebrini's window. For the Sharks, that probably means going through the draft and whatever methods of moving up to snag one is out there is going to be looked at.
Sure but the narratives going on that were lsited were quite different, in the case of the first 2 teams having won and trying to win another SC and in the case of Pittsburg an ill advised attmept for the old core to have one lasyt shot.

The Utah team has litterally been lost travelling in the desert for years.

There is no narrative or storyline going on there it may as well be an expansion team.

I mean how often does an NHL team not have a single NHL Dman signed for the following season?

All that being said are the Sharks really in a position where they can lose Ferraro their team is in a total rebuild right now.

blackjackmulligan

Jun 17, 2022
travis sanheim. couple 2nds or mid to late 1st and a solid prospect. Maybe someone who is more a suspect than prospect who needs a changed of scenery.

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
With a new GM incoming in Edmonton he may look to move Nurse. Nurse is over paid by 1.5 to 3 million base on opinions on HF boards. He not as bad as many think but he also not as good as some other Oiler fans think.

Any interest ? Retention may be possible base on return.

Axel Sandy Pelikan

Michael Brandsegg-Nygard or Bust.
May 11, 2023
So you were incorrect saying Burns and Karlsson didn't have those seasons because they did. lol

Burns and Karlsson both had multiple single seasons in which they scored as many points as Ferraro has in his entire 5 year career.

There is a reason why they would go for much more in a trade than Mr. Ferraro.

Reactions: Gurglesons

SnuggaRUDE

Apr 5, 2013
I wonder if Utah would make a play for Power, the downside is Buffalo wouldn't be looking for a draft capital trade.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Sure but the narratives going on that were lsited were quite different, in the case of the first 2 teams having won and trying to win another SC and in the case of Pittsburg an ill advised attmept for the old core to have one lasyt shot.

The Utah team has litterally been lost travelling in the desert for years.

There is no narrative or storyline going on there it may as well be an expansion team.

I mean how often does an NHL team not have a single NHL Dman signed for the following season?

All that being said are the Sharks really in a position where they can lose Ferraro their team is in a total rebuild right now.
I think they can lose Ferraro if it means they get real value in future assets. You can lose with anybody and I think Ferraro will decline before they reach their next stage of competitiveness.
Burns and Karlsson both had multiple single seasons in which they scored as many points as Ferraro has in his entire 5 year career.

There is a reason why they would go for much more in a trade than Mr. Ferraro.
There are also reasons why Ferraro will likely go for more than what Burns returned. Age and contracts matter in this league.

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
I think they can lose Ferraro if it means they get real value in future assets. You can lose with anybody and I think Ferraro will decline before they reach their next stage of competitiveness.

There are also reasons why Ferraro will likely go for more than what Burns returned. Age and contracts matter in this league.
Ability also matters. Ferraro is just ordinary. He's not a difference maker. You don't trade 1sts for ordinary players like Ferraro. Its a complete waste of a pick.

Reactions: Heldig

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
I wonder if they consider moving 6th overall, they shouldn't but, they are a new team, in a new city, with new fans, they might want to make an impact

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Ability also matters. Ferraro is just ordinary. He's not a difference maker. You don't trade 1sts for ordinary players like Ferraro. Its a complete waste of a pick.
Goodrow was also pretty ordinary and not a difference maker. Yet a deal was done where they got a 1st back.

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
Goodrow was also pretty ordinary and not a difference maker. Yet a deal was done where they got a 1st back.
At the deadline. You are trying to trade Ferraro in the offseason when there are plenty of ordinary dmen available for free.

UED

May 2, 2021
They didn't trade a 1st for Goodrow, they traded a 1st for his contract. Maybe if Ferraro had a couple years left at 900k/yr he could be worth a 1st to an all-in team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad