SmartAsset: The Cities with Too Many (or Too Few) Sports Teams

robopigeon

Dec 9, 2013
People don't realize that Austin's a bit of a mirage when it comes to these kind of studies. It's full of transplants, either for the University of Texas, or all the artists that come from everywhere (musicians especially), or all the high-tech workers they're starting to attract. No ones really "from" Austin, and the city itself is an overgrown college town. Not to mention, the UT football team has as large of a fanbase in Austin as some NFL teams do in their home cities. UT's stadium seats 20 thousand MORE people than the largest NFL stadium (unless you count standing room at Jerry's Palace, then it's about equal) -- and they sell out every single home game.

nina2001

Jul 27, 2015
Hampton Roads is an area that one would think should've had a team for a long while now, but the problem is that none of the cities by themselves are likely large enough to handle the prerequisite construction of a major league arena or stadium themselves nor are the cities unified in a partnership that doesn't involve in them being the primary partner with access to most if not all of the tax revenues generated. Their disunion is what's holding them back from landing a team for the foreseeable future, likely until an unknown millionaire decides to just up and build a place for a hypothetical team. Also fairly sure that they have relatively limited avenues for corporate sponsorship and box sales, so that's a detriment as well.
Didn't the Maloofs try to move the Kings to Virginia Beach?

Brodie

HACK THE BONE! HACK THE BONE!
Mar 19, 2009
Chicago
Hampton Roads has been in the mix for every non-NFL expansion since the late 90's. I see it as an eventual MLB expansion market, though... an alternative to Carolina.

patnyrnyg

Sep 16, 2004
Hampton Roads has been in the mix for every non-NFL expansion since the late 90's. I see it as an eventual MLB expansion market, though... an alternative to Carolina.

Is there an arena/stadium in the area for MLB/NHL/NBA? Are any of those cities big enough to budget to build an arena? Seriously doubt they have some kind of joint venture. I guess the state could kick in a huge chunk of it and privately fund the rest. However, wouldn't a potential owner worry about trying to move in on Nats/Caps/Bullets territory or is it far enough that it shouldn't matter.

Brodie

HACK THE BONE! HACK THE BONE!
Mar 19, 2009
Chicago
Virginia Beach has more people than 18 cities with pro arenas/stadiums. Including Atlanta and all the big cities of Florida and Ohio.

Jun 30, 2006
These guys don't know a lot about how pro sports work.

Yeah. I mean it's a very simplistic view of how pro sports work. Would be better to include corporate presence in those cities and also a cities desire for sports. Some cities just don't care for sports as much as others. Take Denver for example, they have a lot of teams and college sports, they are very much into sports. Los Angeles on the other hand, not as much due to entertainment industry etc.

patnyrnyg

Sep 16, 2004
Virginia Beach has more people than 18 cities with pro arenas/stadiums. Including Atlanta and all the big cities of Florida and Ohio.

I understand that, but how long will it take for a team in that area to make an imprint on the DC teams? NBA and/or NHL expanded to Miami, Charlotte, Tampa, Atlanta as those cities not only did not have a team, but weren't part of any teams region. Same reason why the idea of Stamford-Bridgeport-Norwalk getting a team is ridiculous.

King_Stannis

Jun 14, 2007
Erie PA, USA
I noticed Cleveland and Pittsburgh on the list, cities I'm fairly familiar with. What they might not be factoring in is that the cost of living in those cities is far less than some of those bigger cities. That $69,000 annual income goes a lot further there than you would think, perhaps leading to more disposable income for things like professional sports teams.

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
Is there an arena/stadium in the area for MLB/NHL/NBA? Are any of those cities big enough to budget to build an arena? Seriously doubt they have some kind of joint venture. I guess the state could kick in a huge chunk of it and privately fund the rest. However, wouldn't a potential owner worry about trying to move in on Nats/Caps/Bullets territory or is it far enough that it shouldn't matter.

tht's the primary reason why the regional moniker was forced to revert to Norfolk, when the Admirals were promoted 15 years ago as a Blackhawks/Lightning/Ducks, the Tides actually went by the term "Tidewater". Ken Young owns both clubs now, even though technically he's leasing the current Admirals franchise from EDM.

Scope is owned by the city of Norfolk, ANOTHER reason why Norfolk is the dominate city on the peninsula. Another factor is would Old Dominion University want a tenant in their arena?

Baltimore is more territorial to DC, then Norfolk, by the way the DC NBA Team is the WIZARDS,pat, but then Monumental Sports/Entertainment is involved or notified.

Last edited:

YoshiIsDaBest

Feb 8, 2024
Have always thought Austin is a city one league will look at in 10 years time. A serious look at those demographics looks great.

I had a similar spreadsheet from someone who put something similar together on an old post.

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=1067281

I know this thread is probably dead, but does anyone have a backup file or at least some knowledge as to what formula was used? I have been recently interested in this topic so I would like to know what formula was used. If not, then that's ok.

carjackmalone

Dec 30, 2023
To Few list

Montreal
Vancouver
Portland
Calgary
San Diego(could very easily top this list)
Milwaukee
Edmonton
Birmingham
Austin
San Aantonio
Cinncy

CTHabsfan

Jul 28, 2007
To Few list

Montreal
Vancouver
Portland
Calgary
San Diego(could very easily top this list)
Milwaukee
Edmonton
Birmingham
Austin
San Aantonio
Cinncy
Milwaukee has MLB and NBA. Cincinnati (Cincy) has MLB and NFL. Milwaukee has NFL less than two hours away, while Cincinnati has NHL about an hour and a half away. These cities do not have too few teams.

joelef

Nov 22, 2011
do you mean the just the “ big 4 “ or we also counting league like mls , wnba. , all etc…?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad