Salary Cap: Pens 2024 Summer Thread: "Thus, knocking us out of these superior numbers when we emerge! Mr. President, we must not allow a non-playoff bound gap!"

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Speaking on the Robertson idea, I wonder if the Leafs would do Robertson for Smith at 50% and one of the Penguins 2nds. I figure Smith's playoff history will be really enticing for a team trying to take the next step in the playoffs, while Robertson seems like a great Guentzel replacement for Crosby if he ends up clicking there.

It kinda sucks to eat $2.5 million of Smith's deal, but Robertson will likely be on a bridge deal next year anyway so I don't think it's that big of a problem. If Robertson is anything like what his scouting report ready (agitating undersized goal scorer), I don't particularly care to eat that kind of dead money for 1 year on Smith.

Now if they'd do the deal without Smith, you do that in an instant. But if they'd want more, I think dangling Smith at 50% would be pretty enticing for a team trying to take the next step in the playoffs.

Why are we paying a 2nd and eating a retention spot to bring in a player like Nick Robertson?

I don't get the attraction. Mike Sullivan would have him eating popcorn within 5-10 games.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Why are we paying a 2nd and eating a retention spot to bring in a player like Nick Robertson?

I don't get the attraction. Mike Sullivan would have him eating popcorn within 5-10 games.

Because Crosby has a well established track record of succeeding with undersized goal scorers like Robertson, namely with Guentzel and Sheary?

They'd be lucky if any guy they picked in the 2nd round would progress like Robertson has progressed since being a 2nd rounder himself in 2019.

scholl

Jun 26, 2019
Helsinki, Finland
I mean, I don't necessarily think Puljujarvi "sucks". But I also don't see anything about him that suggests he'll be this 60+ point possession monster Nichushkin turned into in Colorado.
Puljujärvi was really good yesterday. Showed some bad ass mentality. He is getting back some of the self-confidence that got destroyed in Edmonton.

Epic Neal Time

May 8, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
Kotkaniemi is definitely getting bought out. His buyout only costs like 800k for 8 years. They can't afford his current salary with all the holes they have to fill this year and next.

We can grab him as a reclamation project for 1-2M. Assuming he signs here over a Chicago or San Jose.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Kotkaniemi is definitely getting bought out. His buyout only costs like 800k for 8 years. They can't afford his current salary with all the holes they have to fill this year and next.

We can grab him as a reclamation project for 1-2M. Assuming he signs here over a Chicago or San Jose.
That's much more palatable than committing to his current deal and hoping he figures things out.

Robertson would be another intriguing pickup at the right price, but yeah, giving up a 2nd for him would be goofy. He's not in Toronto's plans. We can't waste our meagre draft capital on small, slow, waiver-eligible top 6 or bust prospects.

Reactions: Andy99

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
All the responses on the main board re: Nichushkin suggest his contract would be voided if he violated Stage 3 of the PA program.

Again, I'm not seeing the risk here other than being 6 mil short to start next season until November. If he keeps his nose clean from now on, we have our ideal winger for 6 mil per for the next 6 years. If not, his cap hit magically goes away.

That sounds like less risk and more upside than just about any other move we could make this offseason. And it would leave us enough cap space to make other moves.

Last edited:

Ulf5

Feb 21, 2017
We did fantastic, the Canes got nothing, just assets going to us. Brindamour wears his teams out, he should be fired, they'll never take the next step.
According to Weekes, Brindy and his assistants all signed multi-year extensions.

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
Canes have to upgrade the goalie. Dubas got what he could on the Guentzel trade as a rental. Plus he isn't in the bring him back at 9 million or more AAV. DOC can do to give Sid more than Jake going forward. Or Stephenson as his Kunitz type winger. I really have zero interest in the center with 6 years left and not being what I prefer as a center. Yager brings a RH center that zi think fits what they need in a couple years. Sid, Geno and Eller can man the fort for now.

Zbynek

Jarry friggin sucks dude
Jun 6, 2011
Madrid, Spain
Robertson-Crosby-Rust
Bunting-Malkin-Rakell
O'Connor-Drury-Puustinen

One of their 2nds to Toronto for Robertson's RFA rights followed with Smith (with retention if needed) to Carolina for Drury. Done, no need to take on any massive long-term contracts with huge risks while they're getting 2 good sub-25 year old players.

Bet on Crosby elevating Robertson into being the new Guentzel and rely on Drury to carry the 3rd line. Easy.
Nope, don't like that. Top 9 is too.... barren.

I don't mind Robertson so much but he shouldn't be brought in as a 1W target. Much rather bring him in as a top-9 guy who can slot up (if it works out with Sully). But as the main plan to replace Jake? Huge disaster potential.

If we get Robertson AND Stephenson I can get behind that. A lot more flexibility in the top-9: Stephenson can be 3C, 1W with Crosby, or even 2C with Geno if Malkin goes to wing.

Alternatively go big fish hunting and get an actual play driver. Sid and Geno aren't getting any younger...

Reactions: Darren McCord

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
I mean would anyone trade Yager for Pinto? I would…we need top six center material now with Geno aging fast and I’m not sure Yager will be a NHL center…I do love his shot though…I would have no hesitation to trade Pickering for Pinto as I don’t think Pickering will amount to much but that’s probably just me

orby

Jun 16, 2013
Erie, PA
www.youtube.com
Hard pass on Nichushkin. He is starting to give me Mike Ribeiro vibes. There is something "off" about the whole situation, and I don't just mean the alleged substance abuse.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
This team isn't isn't going to get better by making incremental changes, and we don't have the assets or cap space to address all our needs if we don't take some chances.

We need to find value where others don't. A playoff monster on the right side of 30, signed long term, at a good cap hit, is sitting right there.

Darren McCord

Dec 15, 2015
This team isn't isn't going to get better by making incremental changes, and we don't have the assets or cap space to address all our needs if we don't take some chances.

We need to find value where others don't. A playoff monster on the right side of 30, signed long term, at a good cap hit, is sitting right there.

The one who has bailed on his team the last two playoffs? The one who will miss almost 2 months of the season from suspension and be essentially a cap penalty of 6 mill during that time. The pens will be out of the playoffs by the time he gets off suspension.

Ya great plan

Zbynek

Jarry friggin sucks dude
Jun 6, 2011
Madrid, Spain

None of that matters when he elects to go on a coke bender trafficking hookers instead of committing to Sid's last playoff run.

• Haha
Reactions: Lustaf

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Nope, don't like that. Top 9 is too.... barren.

I don't mind Robertson so much but he shouldn't be brought in as a 1W target. Much rather bring him in as a top-9 guy who can slot up (if it works out with Sully). But as the main plan to replace Jake? Huge disaster potential.

How so? He put up 14 goals and 27 points in 56 games this year while playing 3rd line minutes for Toronto. What kind of "disaster potential" is there? He had comparable 5v5 goal totals last year (13 in 56 games) to what Guentzel had for the Penguins (16 in 50 games).

Not only that, but going with a cheaper guy like Robertson on L1 lets you spend more money elsewhere in the lineup. He's probably only getting a short term bridge deal at $2 million or so, so you'll have a lot of money to play with after that even with the Smith salary retention in this deal.

Zbynek

Jarry friggin sucks dude
Jun 6, 2011
Madrid, Spain
How so? He put up 14 goals and 27 points in 56 games this year while playing 3rd line minutes for Toronto. What kind of "disaster potential" is there? He had comparable 5v5 goal totals last year (13 in 56 games) to what Guentzel had for the Penguins (16 in 50 games).

Not only that, but going with a cheaper guy like Robertson on L1 lets you spend more money elsewhere in the lineup. He's probably only getting a short term bridge deal at $2 million or so, so you'll have a lot of money to play with after that even with the Smith salary retention in this deal.
Tiny sample size for starters. I think Robertson's fine but he's not a 1W. Maybe one day but that can't be the main plan with him. If Dubas trades for him and calls it a day I'll be upset.

Anyway I would be surprised to see a PIT/TOR trade happen anytime soon, even if interest is there

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Tiny sample size for starters. I think Robertson's fine but he's not a 1W. Maybe one day but that can't be the main plan with him. If Dubas trades for him and calls it a day I'll be upset.

Anyway I would be surprised to see a PIT/TOR trade happen anytime soon anyway, even if interest is there

I don't understand people on here saying that they want to get younger and give young guys a chance, while also saying no to Robertson because "he's not a 1W yet".

You can't have it both ways.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Looking forward to what Kyle does this summer, some pretty good UFA's we can bring in to augment the team. PONO should make the team out of TC. Yager and Koivunen more likely the year after. Two mid 2hd rounders, maybe we can move up? In any case late June/early July should be interesting.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
I don't understand people on here saying that they want to get younger and give young guys a chance, while also saying no to Robertson because "he's not a 1W yet".

You can't have it both ways.

You can 100% have it both ways.

You don’t go into the season with a hole at LW and a hope and prayer that it gets filled by Robertson or DOC. You layer in LW depth and have a coach who is flexible if things work out that way.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Does anybody know how much cap space we have? And isn't the cap going up THIS off season?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad