Speculation: Offseason coaching thread: Should they stay or should they go?

Coaches:

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Coastal Kev

There will be "I told you so's" Bet on it
Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC
Take out the 18 month stretch where JR did wonders with the roster and the record shows who Sully really is............an average defense/grinding coach.......just like 98% of any other hockey coaches.

Farts in Italian

Last edited:

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
At this point, I don't even care anymore (whether Sullivan stays or goes). If he goes, Sheldon Keefe will be the team's next HC. Either way, I don't care.

What I care about is keeping the momentum of the stretch run going into next season. Keep shaking things up. Keep lighting a fire under the team. Keep making the team younger. It is the only way.

That 6-2-2 stretch to finish the season should not be a mirage. Last season, we looked completely lifeless down the stretch. Not this year. Just keep the moves coming. Coaching won't matter if we keep making the right personnel decisions.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
I forgot if I mentioned that when I suggested Sturm for AC he also played for Sullivan in 05-06 with Boston. Team wasn’t good but it was one of Sturm’s more productive seasons.

You never know, could be a viable replacement candidate for Sullivan too down the line. I’ve heard good things about him as a coaching “prospect” so to speak.

DesertedPenguin

Mar 11, 2007
I forgot if I mentioned that when I suggested Sturm for AC he also played for Sullivan in 05-06 with Boston. Team wasn’t good but it was one of Sturm’s more productive seasons.

You never know, could be a viable replacement candidate for Sullivan too down the line. I’ve heard good things about him as a coaching “prospect” so to speak.
I really hope LAK doesn't promote Sturm for their vacancy and that leads to him searching for opportunities elsewhere. He is on my short list of Sullivan replacements, and if they can get him here as an assistant, that'd be huge.

Reactions: Jacob

Khelandros

Feb 12, 2019
The thing with Keefe is he doesn't have bad teams. The Leafs have played really good with a good offensive approach, a top 1/3rd powerplay, and are consistently in the top half of the league.

His problem is that his players don't get paid in the Playoffs so they all quit once the season ends.

With Reirdon gone, the defense should be able to stop doing the "close your eyes and rip it out of the zone everytime they touch the puck" play. The PP should vastly improve. Keefe would probably be able to improve both those areas until Sullivan is let go and he takes over.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
We should just let Vellucci handle the D and have a former forward run the forwards.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
Can someone help me find where Jagr’s team is on this chart of the Extraliga? I keep looking at places 1-13 but I don’t see it.
IMG_0440.png

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
I haven’t been in here much the last two days as I’ve been in a court hearing. Has Sullivan been fired yet?

• Wow
Reactions: BusinessGoose

BusinessGoose

May 19, 2022
St. Louis
I haven’t been in here much the last two days as I’ve been in a court hearing. Has Sullivan been fired yet?
Can I sue the Penguins for breach of contract? They said they were contenders, but they refuse to remove Sullivan from a position of power.

This also infringes upon my right to the pursuit of happiness.

I think we have a class action on our hands.

MetalheadPenguinsFan

Sep 17, 2009
Canada
Can I sue the Penguins for breach of contract? They said they were contenders, but they refuse to remove Sullivan from a position of power.

Seeing as you are a goose with a tie and a briefcase, I nominate you to represent us :)

• Wow
Reactions: BusinessGoose

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011

This is a clear violation of your rights as a consumer. It's an infringement on your constitutional rights! It's outrageous, egregious, preposterous!

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
Sturm should have been hired as a HEAD coach by now. What he did for Germany at those "fake" Olympics was very impressive.

But when you are a minority, and European coaches definitely are, it is tough to crack the NHL's old boys club.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I would hope Dubas pursues Keefe to be an associate coach, but I can pretty clearly see why Sullivan would massively fight that. Keefe being added to the staff would be a clear “we have your replacement, don’t f*** up” move directed at Sullivan, which I think they should do but Sullivan will absolutely not react well to it.

That’s actually why I think Dubas won’t go after Keefe as an assistant. I think he should, frankly he should be willing to fire Sullivan and replace him with Keefe but even bringing him on as an assistant is good. But I think Dubas realizes that Sullivan wasn’t happy about Dubas firing Rierden, and adding Keefe on top of that may cause even larger issues.

BillyOcean

Jan 2, 2015
OK. Why do we care about his opinions? What unique perspective is he adding?

Good for him that he's built up a YouTube channel, but why should I care that he believes the Penguins should rebuild?
I dont know who The Hockey Guy is, but people are still posting stuff from Kingerski, Yohe, and Rossi here. Does it really matter?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad