Confirmed with Link: Nichushkin back in assistance program; suspended a minimum of six months

Vaslof

Feb 1, 2017
If the Avalanche terminate Nichushkin and incur a 2M cap charge, then re-sign Mittelstadt for 6M this is what the lineup looks like:

Lehkonen - MacKinnon - Rantanen
Landeskog - Mittelstadt - XXX
Wood - Colton - LOC
XXX - XXX - Kovalenko

Toews - Makar
Girard - Manson
Behrens - XXX

Georgiev
Annunen

Wagner
Jones

A 22 man roster has only 6.235M in cap space for 3 forwards and a defensemen. Even if the Avs went league minimum on the 4th liners and 3rd pair D, that leaves a hair under 4M in cap space for Drouin.

It is doable, but the Avs have to be willing to accept the 4th line will probably suck next season with all league min guys AND you are hoping Landeskog returns to form.
Landeskog is as much of a question mark as Nichushkin is imo. That's why I brought up Wood and LOC being on our 2nd line. That would be the worst case scenario though.

Vaslof

Feb 1, 2017
Correct. Which is why so many want to trade Mikko. It allows us to keep Drouin and bring in 2 more players of top nine quality likely all for his salary.
For 24-25 or 25-26? He's only making 9M right now.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
For 24-25 or 25-26? He's only making 9M right now.
Next season. You can bring Drouin back for 4M, accept a player in return for Mikko at roughly 4M then a young ELC NHL ready player as well in return.

For example, if it was a Crouse + Guenther return (not saying likely but hypothetical) you can bring Drouin back and run

Drouin - MacKinnon - Crouse
Lehkonen - Mittelstadt - Guenther
Landeskog - Colton - LOC
Wood - XXX - Kovalenko

Reactions: niwotsblessing

Vaslof

Feb 1, 2017
Next season. You can bring Drouin back for 4M, accept a player in return for Mikko at roughly 4M then a young ELC NHL ready player as well in return.

For example, if it was a Crouse + Guenther return (not saying likely but hypothetical) you can bring Drouin back and run

Landeskog - Colton - LOC
Wood - XXX - Kovalenko
If they could pull this off I wouldn't complain. We would need to find that perfect trading partner.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
If they could pull this off I wouldn't complain. We would need to find that perfect trading partner.
No doubt. You just want to be able to find a middle six established NHLer and an ELC forward with high upside in return for Mikko. Plenty of teams have that combo, it's a matter of do the Avs even have a desire to move Mikko? The answer is probably not.

Vaslof

Feb 1, 2017
No doubt. You just want to be able to find a middle six established NHLer and an ELC forward with high upside in return for Mikko. Plenty of teams have that combo, it's a matter of do the Avs even have a desire to move Mikko? The answer is probably not.
Marner might be on the same market as well. Maybe we'll see through him what we could have gotten.

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006

Landeskog - Colton - LOC
Wood - XXX - Kovalenko
Stop teasing me with this. I have saying Mikko for Guenther++ for a while now.

I doubt Utah would trade both Crouse and Guenther for Mikko unless he is extended and even then it would surprised me. Utah SHOULD want a star player right away and they SHOULD want to make the playoffs right away as well so a Mikko trade to them would make sense but it could be tough for them to make the playoffs if they trade both Crouse AND Guenther. I would do Mikko for Guenther + 6OV and use that 6OV to draft a RHD or get one in a trade.

Murzu

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 23, 2013
Finland
If the Avalanche terminate Nichushkin and incur a 2M cap charge, then re-sign Mittelstadt for 6M this is what the lineup looks like:

Lehkonen - MacKinnon - Rantanen
Landeskog - Mittelstadt - XXX
Wood - Colton - LOC
XXX - XXX - Kovalenko

Toews - Makar
Girard - Manson
Behrens - XXX

Georgiev
Annunen

Wagner
Jones

A 22 man roster has only 6.235M in cap space for 3 forwards and a defensemen. Even if the Avs went league minimum on the 4th liners and 3rd pair D, that leaves a hair under 4M in cap space for Drouin.

It is doable, but the Avs have to be willing to accept the 4th line will probably suck next season with all league min guys AND you are hoping Landeskog returns to form.

If Avs sign three guys for example 900k each, thats 2.7M off that 6.235M.

There would be 3.5M left for Drouin. You think he would do something like 3.5M x 7-8yrs? Or one year for that price and cash in after that? The first option seems more likely, if he truly loves it here. It would he an underpayment IMO though.

Correct. Which is why so many want to trade Mikko. It allows us to keep Drouin and bring in 2 more players of top nine quality likely all for his salary.

And maybe even extra futures on top of that.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
There would be 3.5M left for Drouin. You think he would do something like 3.5M x 7-8yrs?
I doubt it.

On one hand that's more than what he'd expect out of his next contract...

On the other hand the cap is going up, he's a top 6 player and he'd be making 3rd line money right off the bat.

By year 4 he'll be making 4th liner money...

Murzu

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 23, 2013
Finland
I doubt it.

On one hand that's more than what he'd expect out of his next contract...

On the other hand the cap is going up, he's a top 6 player and he'd be making 3rd line money right off the bat.

By year 4 he'll be making 4th liner money...

Yeah maybe so. If it was 4-4.5M I'd say it'd be fair considering his history. But going that long for 3.5M would be takin a discount.

Grackle Party

Full of guts!!
Jun 11, 2007
Cream City
The algorithm is brokenn

Attachments

• IMG_0442.jpeg
    IMG_0442.jpeg
    188.8 KB · Views: 4

Pacman33

#teamZ
Feb 9, 2017
Yea i feel its dependent on if they can find a cheaper way out of the deal. If they had to do a full on buyout, i cant see them doing that nor would i want them to

Nov 20, 2013
Sweden
I think the right choice is to coordinate with the NHLPA and let the six months slide and not making any harsh decision that will cause a cap penalty before then.

The issue is possibly not clear cut. I remember Theoren Fleury who missed playoff games for us, he needed help. Girard had his issues too recently and played well these playoffs. I remember when Nate and other guys were trying to help Nichushkin get his hat trick against Winnipeg.

Maybe there is a future where Nichushkin gets a Masterton trophy and writes an article for theplayerstribune.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
I think the right choice is to coordinate with the NHLPA and let the six months slide and not making any harsh decision that will cause a cap penalty before then.

The issue is not clear cut. I remember Theoren Fleury who missed playoff games for us, he needed help. Girard had his issues too recently. I remember when Nate and other guys were trying to help Nichushkin get his hat trick against Winnipeg (passing him during empty net) and that was indicative of them liking him.

Maybe there is a future where the Avs got great locker room chemistry, Nichushkin gets a Masterton trophy and writes an article for theplayerstribune.
This is three times in 12 months that we know of publicly and lord only knows how many times we don't know of privately where Nichushkin's issues were a problem.

You can hear it in the tone's of voices of guys asked about him. This isn't some "we pray he gets the help he needs" situation. This feels like a "this f***ing idiot chose substances over the team AGAIN" situation and the players are fed up.

Balthazar

Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
This is three times in 12 months that we know of publicly and lord only knows how many times we don't know of privately where Nichushkin's issues were a problem.

You can hear it in the tone's of voices of guys asked about him. This isn't some "we pray he gets the help he needs" situation. This feels like a "this f***ing idiot chose substances over the team AGAIN" situation and the players are fed up.
At the end of the day if the options are something like:

1- Give him another chance, if he f***s up again we enter phase 4 and we get rid of his contract for free.
or
2- No Nuke but 3M cap penalty for 6 years and ownership must pay him 75% of what's left on his contract.
or
3- Buyout
or
4- Pay a team premium assets to take him and likely get a bad contract in return

then I'm very confident that they'll pick the first option and Nuke will be back.

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006

1- Give him another chance, if he f***s up again we enter phase 4 and we get rid of his contract for free.
or
2- No Nuke but 3M cap penalty for 6 years and ownership must pay him 75% of what's left on his contract.
or
3- Buyout
or
4- Pay a team premium assets to take him and likely get a bad contract in return

then I'm very confident that they'll pick the first option and Nuke will be back.
Trading him is an option too. There might be a team out there who’s willing to take a chance because he’s such a good player

EdAVSfan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2009

or
or
3- Buyout
or

Isn’t option 1 just an extension of option 2?

Under option 1, he gets suspended for a year. The Avs still consistently run the risk that he can come back and they have to plan cap space for him. How does option 1 get us out of the contract for free? It would be the same termination rules.

Question for those who may know.
Could the Avs technically sabotage themselves? For example, could the Avs wait the 6 months, and test Nuke themselves and give it to the league? Or give the league a “heads up” to test Nuke when they know he’s stepped out the lines again?

Balthazar

Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Trading him is an option too. There might be a team out there that will be willing to take a chance because he’s such a good player
that's option 4...

With 6 years left it's a huge risk and it's going to cost a shitload to move him...and that's if you can find a GM that wants a guy like that in his locker room

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad