Management Jim Montgomery

Gifu

Dec 17, 2021
He still deserves at least another season. But the truth is that in two seasons he has coached the team to ''overachieve'' against expectations (at least my own expectations).

He is a good coach and as is often the case, people learn and develop best through mistakes.

For me, Joe Sacco's time has come to an end. He has been an assistant coach for the Bruins for 'forever' and while he has certainly done a good job, a new wind could do both of them some good.

4ORRBRUIN

Sep 27, 2005
boston
They way this team has started games and lack of urgency needs to fall on someone. Watching the clown acts in the tunnel before puck drops looks like a bunch of pee wee's getting ready for a pee wee'3 game in town hockey.

I still think the overtime goal saved his job unfortunately

goldenblack

Apr 15, 2024
They way this team has started games and lack of urgency needs to fall on someone. Watching the clown acts in the tunnel before puck drops looks like a bunch of pee wee's getting ready for a pee wee'3 game in town hockey.

I still think the overtime goal saved his job unfortunately

How many games did they score first vs Florida? All but one maybe?

MattFromFranklin

Fire Sweeney and Neely
Jun 19, 2012
Franklin, MA
I fully expect it to happen in the next year or two when Monty gets canned, but it's going to be ridiculous that Sweeney and Neely will get to outlive another coach.

Honestly, who gives a rat's ass that they used to play for the Bruins, are BFF's, and that Jacobs and Sinden love them? That shouldn't mean anything.

Reactions: Spanky185

JAD

Old School
Sponsor
Nov 19, 2009
Florida
I fully expect it to happen in the next year or two when Monty gets canned, but it's going to be ridiculous that Sweeney and Neely will get to outlive another coach.

Honestly, who gives a rat's ass that they used to play for the Bruins, are BFF's, and that Jacobs and Sinden love them? That shouldn't mean anything.
Ridiculous Sweeney and Neely stay? From a business point of view they are doing exactly what Jacobs requires of them.
1. Keep the team competitive enough to ensure people continue to attend games.
2. Make the playoffs generating extra revenue.

Montgomery? Proven to be successful regular season coach doing what Sweeney and Neely require him to do - qualify for the playoffs.
It should be no secret I'm not a fan to his approach to the playoffs. I get frustrated by coaches who appear not to make adjustments to their game plan based upon their opponent and continue to think they can get by with what worked in the regular season.
Hopefully, he is learning from his playoff mistakes (he was/is still relatively inexperienced as a head coach in the playoffs at this level)... games four, five and six some adjustments were made, but no puck luck; and maybe too little too late.
Oh course, there are other coaching issues fans may dislike, but he is fulfilling Sweeney and Neely's primary directive in items #1 & #2 above.

Reactions: Aussie Bruin

chrisab123

Feb 9, 2013
Ridiculous Sweeney and Neely stay? From a business point of view they are doing exactly what Jacobs requires of them.
1. Keep the team competitive enough to ensure people continue to attend games.
2. Make the playoffs generating extra revenue.

Montgomery? Proven to be successful regular season coach doing what Sweeney and Neely require him to do - qualify for the playoffs.
It should be no secret I'm not a fan to his approach to the playoffs. I get frustrated by coaches who appear not to make adjustments to their game plan based upon their opponent and continue to think they can get by with what worked in the regular season.
Hopefully, he is learning from his playoff mistakes (he was/is still relatively inexperienced as a head coach in the playoffs at this level)... games four, five and six some adjustments were made, but no puck luck; and maybe too little too late.
Oh course, there are other coaching issues fans may dislike, but he is fulfilling Sweeney and Neely's primary directive in items #1 & #2 above.
It would take a mid 2000s financial collapse with the B's where the people finally boycott going to the games, thats the only way they ever hire a non Bruin in a front office role. For better or worse they operate much like University of Michigan, and the hiring of Michigan Men. Sweeney is probably here the next 15-20 years, same with Neely.

Monty is a good coach, I'm assuming that he'll find success at his next stop and have a couple deep playoff runs. Much like Bruce. Monty didn't mess up the cap, trade all the picks, and didn't piss away the farm system for the better part of a decade. If they were able to draft one center with top 6 ability they would have been fine. Looking at the roster, Monty did the best possible job you could with this team. But whenever they decide to pull the trigger, you'd have to assume Ted Donato is high on the list. Bruins ties and Boston ties.

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
It would take a mid 2000s financial collapse with the B's where the people finally boycott going to the games, thats the only way they ever hire a non Bruin in a front office role. For better or worse they operate much like University of Michigan, and the hiring of Michigan Men. Sweeney is probably here the next 15-20 years, same with Neely.

Monty is a good coach, I'm assuming that he'll find success at his next stop and have a couple deep playoff runs. Much like Bruce. Monty didn't mess up the cap, trade all the picks, and didn't piss away the farm system for the better part of a decade. If they were able to draft one center with top 6 ability they would have been fine. Looking at the roster, Monty did the best possible job you could with this team. But whenever they decide to pull the trigger, you'd have to assume Ted Donato is high on the list. Bruins ties and Boston ties.
This post hits the nail on the head. There are a lot of great kids in the CHL that the Bruins by pass every draft. Not sure what Sweeney will pull out of the hat this year but with three late picks he needs to pick up some assets.

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
Can we add a poll to this thread? Curious on if the majority is keep Monty or fire Monty.

Keep. 244 points in 2 years. With a roster that was very good but not elite and another that was distinctly middling. Sure the goaltending helped a lot but that's still an insane success rate. Monty knows how to coach and has at least most of the fundamentals down. No other conclusion can be drawn from those numbers.

Which is certainly not to say that he's perfect. Playoffs last year he clearly made some mistakes, although I still look to the players more than him for the main cause of our demise. This year he had a wobble against the Leafs but I thought he was solid overall; Panthers series the Bruins were outmatched and while the coach couldn't find a way around that I'm not sure anybody could've. On balance though it's fair to say his playoff leadership still needs a little work, I think his defensive tactics are somewhat lacking, the PP is awful, and the management of the roster through the course of the season to marshal their energy and get them in the best possible shape for the playoffs needs to be better.

But I think these issues can at least mostly be solved by bringing in a new assistant or two with some fresh knowledge and ideas. Wouldn't want to say which ones should go but change definitely feels needed. Put an improved team around Monty behind the bench, and a better roster in front of it, and see what happens. I've always said that the 3rd year will be sink or swim for his time in Boston, and I'm holding to that.

bp14

Mar 17, 2022
Tough call. On the one hand, I have not been remotely impressed with him during either playoff run. From the goalie decisions last season to the revolving door D to the too many men and the 3-4 total no shows this year. All of that should add up to a firing.

On the other hand, his regular seasons have been unreal. Tough to give that up as I remember Julien struggling in playoffs until he finally won it all.

Related, if you can actually land a real first line center, Monty probably deserves a shot to coach that team.

Reactions: gerrycheeversmask

Midship

Jan 7, 2016
0-6 at home in the playoffs vs FLA last two seasons. I like Jim, but wouldn't blink if he was fired.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
I think its fair to think he is a good motivator in the regular season but has lost the tactical battle in each of his three playoff series.
I think he got outcoached by Maurice last year but I think this year he had the inferior team talent-wise in both rounds. I thought he did a reasonable enough job. The Too Many Men penalties were crazy but a lot of those were just really dumb plays by the players, I’m not willing to throw that all on Monty

Yeti34

Apr 13, 2013
Tampa
Monty isn’t the reason the Bs lost. I still think he should be let go he’s a mediocre coach that consistently gets outcoached in the playoffs.

1. Too much line juggeling the players aren’t able to develop chemistry like the other teams.

2. Power play sucks. Part of that is talent but an even bigger part is the stupid system they employ to break the puck out.

3. Young guys- didn’t see too many young guys get a legit chance. Throwing loherie in come playoffs seemed to work out as did Braz but where were they all regular season? I understand Gryz was the number 2 but everyone saw this coming where he wouldn’t be playing come playoff time. Merk got put in a place to fail and Lysell didn’t get a shot.

4. Too many men penalties. Stupid mistakes on the players but it happens too often so that’s on the coach.

Reactions: GoBs

Kate08

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 30, 2010
I keep him.

He's not perfect (no coach is), but he clearly learned some things from 2023 and made some coaching improvements in 2024. I'd like to see what he can do with another year or two in terms of growth and adjustments.

I make some assistant changes for sure though.

Mad-Marcus

Apr 26, 2002
Seacoast, NH
His staff needs an upgrade. The PK is great, but whomever coaches the PP should hi the road.

Based on Lohrie's improvement from his 1st call up to the playoff, they handled him properly.

Same can be said for Beecher. Jury's still out on Brazeau. He seemed slow in the playoffs.

His juggling lines was often a reward to player, but often moved them away from the line combo's that worked.

Considering how much turnover they will experience and need, changing coaches while keeping the core intact is not the best move IMHO.

One more year, he's only head coached 3.5 years in total at the NHL level.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
Monty isn’t the reason the Bs lost. I still think he should be let go he’s a mediocre coach that consistently gets outcoached in the playoffs.

1. Too much line juggeling the players aren’t able to develop chemistry like the other teams.

2. Power play sucks. Part of that is talent but an even bigger part is the stupid system they employ to break the puck out.

3. Young guys- didn’t see too many young guys get a legit chance. Throwing loherie in come playoffs seemed to work out as did Braz but where were they all regular season? I understand Gryz was the number 2 but everyone saw this coming where he wouldn’t be playing come playoff time. Merk got put in a place to fail and Lysell didn’t get a shot.

4. Too many men penalties. Stupid mistakes on the players but it happens too often so that’s on the coach.
I’m not sure 3 is fair. Poitras, Wotherspoon, Beecher all got worked in. You can’t say how Lorhei was broken in didn’t work. Brazeau was given every shot once he was called up. Monty doesn’t control if Lysell is called up or not. He didn’t hand Merkulov primo minutes, but Merkulov did nothing to earn a look, either.

RoccoF14

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2016
Chicago, IL
Keep Monty, without question. He got about as much out of this roster as can be expected. I'd argue they overachieved. Yes, we rode our goaltending, but so what? We pretty much had to with the forward lines we were rolling out this season.

Fix that first, and then pass judgement.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad