OT: Hank Documentary: Open Heart

Jim Ramsay

Jul 1, 2003
Warwick, NY
There is a new documentary on Netflix titled 'Open Heart' featuring Hank and his heart diagnosis.

There is some awesome footage of young Hank and tons of video of his Ranger years and commentary from former teammates. Definitely a great watch for nostalgia sake alone

On a side note, they show him driving to and from Glenmere Mansion a few times to get away from city life and whats interesting about that is the Glenmere is a few miles down the road from me so it was cool to see Hank drive on some of the same backroads as me in his Aston Martin

Last edited:

EdJovanovski

#RempeForConnSmythe
Apr 26, 2016
The Rempire State
Definitely going to watch, I'm like the person who this documentary was made for being a Ranger fan who happens to be a hockey player with a congenital heart condition myself

Rangerfan4life90

Oct 14, 2008
College Point, NY
It's definitely a must-watch. My girlfriend (who's not big into hockey but works in the medical field as a PA) loved it and said it will, or should, win awards. What I found interesting was that Hank probably should have never played competitive hockey, or at least had gotten the surgery in his 20's. He and we were lucky he didn't end up collapsing one day and dying (similar to Cherepanov).

I also cried during the scenes where they showed us losing to the Kings in the cup finals and close to the ending where his jersey and number get retired.

BlueShirtGal

True Blue Kitty
May 19, 2014
Federal Way, WA
Watched it today. Tugged at my heart strings especially when they showed the Kings winning the SC in OT and Hank was sprawled on the ice. He's lucky they caught the cardiac problem b/c he could have died playing the game he clearly loved so much.

Reactions: DrandonBudinsky

DrandonBudinsky

Black & Blueshirts
Mar 15, 2022
SadisonSquareGarden
Watched it today. Tugged at my heart strings especially when they showed the Kings winning the SC in OT and Hank was sprawled on the ice. He's lucky they caught the cardiac problem b/c he could have died playing the game he clearly loved so much.
Reliving Alec Martinez stuff in that rebound on Hank gave me bad ptsd.😩 I vividly remember watching that sequence unfold in real time and it felt like it was going in slo-mo. My knees buckled as Henrik stretched out desperately to make the save and I watched in disbelief that it ended like that. Ooof.

Agreed though. Watching him just laid out in utter defeat in the crease isn’t a great memory. You could feel the deflation even as he slowly gets up on his knees. That was a fun team that really deserved more. Just didnt have enough left at the end.

This doc also shows how lonely the whole trip to ClevelandClinic was to get the heart surgery. (And subsequent recovery phase) It’s easy to forget his procedure occurred at the height of the pandemic in the beginning of 2021, which meant visitors/family must have just been strictly kept to 1 visitor. Probably didnt have a huge support system because of the restrictions at hospitals at the time.

Kaapo Bustfreniere

Jun 21, 2019
Definitely going to watch, I'm like the person who this documentary was made for being a Ranger fan who happens to be a hockey player with a congenital heart condition myself
I am wondering whether I am not the one it was made for, since I am a Rangers fan and a cardiologist... Still haven't found time to watch, but defninitely going to.

Bacon Artemi Bravo

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 20, 2007
He truly is a King. He said he wanted to keep playing after the Rangers didn't have a place for him anymore but his heart wouldn't let him.

So glad I spent the $ on his retirement night. What a phenomenal experience. We are so lucky as Ranger fans to have had him for so long.

DrandonBudinsky

Black & Blueshirts
Mar 15, 2022
SadisonSquareGarden
Goalies can’t wear the “C” (outside of Luongo 🤷🏻‍♂️) , but Hank was - in a way - the unofficial Captain of those teams. The guy bled Rangers blue, which made it so strange seeing him in action in a red Caps practice jersey.

Slightly off topic: One thing’s for sure. I’d have much rather him have signed on in Washington than seeing yet ANOTHER Ranger end up in Tampa Bay. It was bad enough seeing McDonagh, Boyle, Girardi, Callahan, Stralman etc etc wearing Lightning bolts on their crests. Seeing Hank down there would have been panic inducing.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad