Post-Series Talk: Dallas Stars Defeat Colorado Avalanche (Win 4-2)

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
[MOD]

Dallas fans, who do you think you match up against better moving into next round? I’d say Edmonton but that’s just as a casual observer.

Edmonton seems like a similar team as Colorado, pretty top-heavy with shaky goaltending. When they're on, they're scary as hell but as Vancouver has shown, neutralize those top guns and you've got a good shot.

Canucks look to be a lot deeper and Demko's probably back soon.

Last edited by a moderator:

LT

XXXX - XXXX - XX__ - ____
Jul 23, 2010
[MOD]

Dallas fans, who do you think you match up against better moving into next round? I’d say Edmonton but that’s just as a casual observer.

I'd rather play Edmonton. That defense and goaltending isn't going to hold up (it already isn't).

I think we're favored against both, but Vancouver is a lot scarier to me.

Mattb124

Apr 29, 2011
Pavel Buchnevich willed the paper tigers to victory.

Last edited:

Pandaman11

Dec 3, 2009

@Dr Pepper

leonardo-dicaprio-clapping.gif

Reactions: Dr Pepper

MBTendy

May 6, 2009
DeBoer's great at getting to conference finals. Hopefully they lose in the conference finals though so I can go back to pissing on him :laugh:
Hard to imagine anyone hating on DeBoer. The dude seems to be all class, especially when they show him in the handshake line. He spends extra time with his former players, and the players always have great things to say to him and all pull for him.

He’s always quick to compliment his opponents in pressers as well. Never seen him bitch or complain in pressers.

LightningStorm

Lightning/Mets/Vikings
Dec 19, 2008
Pacific NW, USA
Edmonton seems like a similar team as Colorado, pretty top-heavy with shaky goaltending. When they're on, they're scary as hell but as Vancouver has shown, neutralize those top guns and you've got a good shot.

Pretty much this. The Stars were a matchup nightmare for the Avs, and I think they would be for the Oilers for more or less the same reasons. Canucks are also a versatile team who can beat you in multiple ways, so though they'd also be the underdog against the Stars, I think they'd have a better shot. I expect the Canucks to win their series too.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
I thought the better team won this series, but part of this was due to how putrid Avs played at times. You can't expect to win when you lose three straight games, it just doesn't happen all that much and this is another example of that. Avs had all the right ingredients to win, but the cook was from McDonald's. Not saying Bednar is the "cook," because he deserves blame, but so does the special teams, the star players, Nuke, the bottom 6's lack of offence, etc.

Spilot23

Dec 30, 2014
Haven’t posted in HF since the loss but I will say this : Heiskanen is freaking Bobby Orr against the Avs in the playoffs. What a gem. Good series Stars fans as someone said here I’m also jealous of your scouts. Oettinger, Heiskanen and Robertson is literally building a core in a single draft.

SeanMoneyHands

Apr 18, 2019
The Chris Tanev trade has been huge for Dallas. Hope to see Tanev get a cup this year. Lots of Vancouver and Calgary fans rooting for him.

Reactions: LT

Turbonium

Aug 21, 2020
Spain
The Avs have won nothing since they lost their cheap shot artist who accidentally on purpose injured the other team’s best players when they were being outplayed. Surely a coincidence.
Yeah, losing Rosen was unfortunate but luckily they managed to remain competitive without him.

Avs should have kept Byram
And used who at 2C? Byrum had not played well for the Avs since the SCF run.

KCC

Aug 15, 2007

So far EDM's depth scoring has not done much despite being quite decent in the regular season. These playoffs they have really depended on their top players as you mentioned. If they can get past Vancouver and find that depth scoring, then you still have to hope Skinner can hold it together. And last playoffs and these playoffs he's been a disaster for a lot of it. Realistically EDM should have swept the Nucks series but games 1 and 3 he was so atrocious that it's hard to win when your goalie has a .792 and a .733 save percentage. The amount of soft goals he's given up is ridiculous. I still don't have any faith in him and even if it is EDM next round, Dallas will likely mop the floor with them. They are too skilled, too deep and their goaltending is lights out. I guess if EDM can win one game next round if they do advance that will be the best they've done in the McDavid era as they were swept against the Avs 2 years ago in the WCF. lol

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
Congrats Dallas on a great series against the Avs. This game should have been over with the disallowed goal. It should have been reversed. I would have been furious if this had happened to my team. Duchene was out of the crease and then pushed in by Makar. Even most of us on the Avs' GDT on our board thought it would be reversed and were very surprised when it wasn't. The goal should have counted.

Talking about Duchene he had a very good series and a heck of game 6. It was obvious he wanted to win this game really bad and deserved to get the winning goal either by screening the goalie on the disallowed goal or scoring it himself like he did later.

IMO the real difference in the series was Dallas playing with the lead in each of the first 3 games. The Avs were the rested team but playing from behind in those first few games forced Bednar to overplay his top guys way too much. Missing Drouin for the first 3 games made it even worst. When they have the lead the Avs play their 4th line way more which obviously keep everybody fresher. By game 4 their top guys were too tired and combine that withe the bad news of losing Nuke and Toews I believe they had no chance of winning that game. They dug deep for game 5 and were the better team in that game but once again they started from behind and had to overplay their top guys again. In game 6 they gave a very good fight for 40 minutes but had no gas left by the 3rd and especially the OT periods. Dallas played them very well. Again congrats.

I don't think people realize how important Landy and Nuke are to the team. I have said a few times on the Avs' board that this team is barely a .500 team without them. It is not only because of the goals they miss when they are out. It is especially what those guys bring besides the goals. These two are very good at winning battles on the boards and forechecking but they are elite in front of the net with the screens and tips they provide. Without both of them at the same time the Avs have no longer a net front presence except for Lehky. You can't win consistently without it. Heck the Avs have a way better record with either one of Mack, Mikko or Makar out than Nuke out.

I have seen quite a few posts here saying that the Avs are a one-line team. I disagree. They used to be but not since the TDL. They are obviously more top heavy than Dallas and Dallas' bottom-6 is better but the Avs still had a very good bottom-6. Both Dallas being deeper and the Avs not being just a one-line team can be true. Take 2 of the best 4 forwards on any team and I'll show you a one-line team. Dallas IMO would be the only exception. No supertars at forwards but they have very deep forwards lines especially their top-3 lines.

Again congrats and I hope you go to the SC finals. However I want Florida to win it all.

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
Yeah, losing Rosen was unfortunate but luckily they managed to remain competitive without him.

And used who at 2C? Byrum had not played well for the Avs since the SCF run.
Eh. I would have said Colton, but I seem to be one of a very few members of the Colton fanclub, and also the Mittlestadt haters club

Turbonium

Aug 21, 2020
Spain
Eh. I would have said Colton, but I seem to be one of a very few members of the Colton fanclub, and also the Mittlestadt haters club
Colton as your 2C basically ensures zero success. I like Colton, but he looks on that 3rd line. I would've liked to see Rantanen on the wing with Mittlestadt much more but Nuke kinda ruined the top 6 depth.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad