Confirmed with Link: Avs trade Conditional '25 1st + Ryan Johansen to Philly for Sean Walker + '26 5th

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
Very disappointed in Walker. CMac made a bad decision with RyJo and made another one with Walker.

Those 2 mistakes costed a 1st round pick.
Walker was fine. He might not have done as good as we initially thought he would but calling this trade a mistake, let alone two, is ridiculous. Everybody here were very happy with this this trade when it was made. CMac's TDL was considered a success by all the day after. The only complaint some had and it was mostly minor was not getting a goalie and it turns out it was not an issue in the end.

Tanev would have been better but we would have been stuck with RyJo. And Tanev being a better solution is in hindsight. At the time of the trade I bet most people would have taken Walker anyway as being a better fit.

People are never happy. "Why is CMac holding on to his 1st round picks?" Then later "A 1st round pick was an overpay to get Walker and getting rid of RyJo." Really? What do people think it costs to get rid of not only the worst contract but also the worst player on the team?

It was a great trade. He is far from the reason we loss.

RampoSanta

Landy was not offside
Apr 1, 2021
Colorado
Lots of talk he would $5M in the offseason.... Would have to thing that price has come down. If it starts with a $3.x, I wouldnt mind brining him back

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Lots of talk he would $5M in the offseason.... Would have to thing that price has come down. If it starts with a $3.x, I wouldnt mind brining him back
Only way I take him back is if he takes 2.5M AAV and replaces Manson on the 2nd pairing.

In our situation, the 2M in savings by swapping Manson with Walker would worth it.

Reactions: McMetal

The Moops

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2017
Earth
Bro, you are talking to a fanbase that has folks who are still pissed that we wasted a 1st on Kuemper.
Literally everyone here that I've seen understood and was fine with that. They knew the price and it worked out perfectly

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
He's still an RHD who can be passable in the top 4, and he has some puck moving skills, too. That CV is not easy to come by these days, especially in UFA. Some GM is going to overpay him by a substantial amount, and it's not going to be CMac.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Remember these situations when someone brings up analytics to define how good/bad a player is in the future.

Walker was supposed to be this two way diamond in the rough analytic darling, but it didn't translate to on ice performance. It just translated to being able to skate the puck out of the D zone well, which doesn't necessarily mean you're that good offensively, or defensively.

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
During his first games i thought "man, this was a great trade"..... In hindsight, we maybe overpaid. But hey, we got RyJo of the team in the process.

Will hit Free Agency and will have many teams lined up ready to overpay.
So basically paid a 2nd to get Walker.

niwotsblessing

May 1, 2010
City of Holy Faith
Remember these situations when someone brings up analytics to define how good/bad a player is in the future.

Walker was supposed to be this two way diamond in the rough analytic darling, but it didn't translate to on ice performance. It just translated to being able to skate the puck out of the D zone well, which doesn't necessarily mean you're that good offensively, or defensively.
So, another Sammy G.

Reactions: Foppa2118

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
Absolutely ridiculous to slam the deadline moves. The Avs finally were active instead of sitting on their asses. The GM did his part at the deadline, didn´t work out in the playoffs but it was 100% the right decision.
They made deadline grabs 3 out of the last 4 seasons. Probably opted to sit out last year knowing Landeskog was not coming back.

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
I said... somewhere that he was a less flashy Girard, and I stand by that. Given the scouting report at the time of the trade (he's tough! he's rugged! he kills penalties!) and what we actually got I don't know whether he struggled with our system, our coaches or people spend so little time watching the Avalanche they don't know what a good defenseman is.

Good luck to him wherever he ends up, but it won't be here.

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
I can see why Walker wants to be paid like a middle pairing dman, but I just don't see the defense necessary for that many minutes, at least on a team with cup aspirations.

There were some games in the regular season where he looked like he fit like a glove but then came the playoffs and he largely disappeared. Now, I'm not the type to get torn up about a dman disappearing a bit, that's usually a good thing for a bottom pairing dman but if he's looking to get paid as a middle pairing dman, he can't disappear like that. He needs to be visible, in a good way.

nammerus

Mar 9, 2003
Visit site
Absolutely ridiculous to slam the deadline moves. The Avs finally were active instead of sitting on their asses. The GM did his part at the deadline, didn´t work out in the playoffs but it was 100% the right decision.

Or..maybe stop slurping off Cmac and realize that getting Ryjo in the first place not only forced us to overpay for Walker, but prevented them from getting Tanev.

Reactions: Alienblood

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad