Prospect Info: 9OA: Nate Danielson

Astyanax

May 5, 2020
Yeah, that Zadina pick is the one that really bites us. He wasn't my first choice (was a big Dobson fan) but was still excited about it. And then he just never took off.
Agreed, I was hoping for Dobson myself. But when Z fell, I was happy to take him. Of course that all tracks back to the previous year when I wanted Necas at nine. Seems Martin made Z look that much better at that WJC. Oh well. Baby steps with Ras, he's slowly getting better, I guess. Right?

OgeeOgelthorpe

Sparkplug
Feb 29, 2020
That's the one thing almost everyone here agreed on, nobody wanted Raz

For once I agree with you. I'm glad that he's become valuable in a shutdown role the last two seasons, but I'd much rather have almost any of the other 2017 first round forwards besides him.

sepster

Gerard Gallant is my Spirit Animal
Aug 19, 2005
North of the 'D"
He's being branded as a shutdown, physical forward, but I don't think he is actually any good at either role. And his Hockey IQ sucks.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
He's being branded as a shutdown, physical forward, but I don't think he is actually any good at either role. And his Hockey IQ sucks.

Sometimes "shutdown" is just an euphemism for "can't score".

His skating regressed when he got injured because he's not a natural skater. I think he'll play better next season, but he's a 3rd liner at best which is disappointing for such a high pick. If he was a second round pick or later, people would probably be happy.

It's weird that Zadina got more love here than Raz, he was a higher pick that sucked worse with even less hockey IQ.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
It's weird that Zadina got more love here than Raz, he was a higher pick that sucked worse with even less hockey IQ.
Ras was the player in that portion of the draft with the most red flags going into draft night. He was the poster child for, "big guys who might bust" kinda picks, which is exactly why he was the one guy on my DON'T TAKE list. Since then, he's turned into a serviceable NHL player, even if that's still a letdown relative to other guys available.

Zadina was not my first choice at 6, but he was widely regarded as a very very good prospect on draft night. He just completely pooped the bed in his post draft development. (Hey! I'm a one trick pony who won't learn any new tricks or work on my strengths, let alone my deficiencies!)

Woulda been nice to have Zadina's pedigree with Rasmussen's attitude. But them's the breaks.

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
What a way to break in the kid, stick him between 2 wingers that can't play any defense.

Also, the kid is starting to look way too much like Copp. I thought he had darker redder hair.
We are talking about guy who played his first pro game with partners that played in NHL,

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
For once I agree with you. I'm glad that he's become valuable in a shutdown role the last two seasons, but I'd much rather have almost any of the other 2017 first round forwards besides him.

Seems to be a little bit dramatic.

Nolan Patrick - no
Cody Glass - no
Lias Andersson - no
Filip Chytil - no
Kailer Yamamoto - no
Kristian Vesalainen - no
Ryan Poehling - no
Morgan Frost - no
Shane Bowers - no
Eeli Tolvanen - no, probably a coin flip
Klim Kostin - no

Players who I would take but also need to see their recent performance continued
Casey Mittelstadt (for the record, i think this is a bad fit for both sides)
Gabe Vilardi (assuming no health issues)
Owen Tippett
Josh Norris (assuming no health issues)

No brainers
Hischier
Pettersson
Necas
Suzuki
Thomas

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
We are talking about guy who played his first pro game with partners that played in NHL,

I give you credit for putting a positive spin on the situation, but let's keep in mind neither are in the NHL anymore because they can't defend. They're both very soft as well. I just hope they don't get Nate killed with their hot potato passes in the defensive zone. He's the only one on the line that can actually carry the puck out of the zone.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I give you credit for putting a positive spin on the situation, but let's keep in mind neither are in the NHL anymore because they can't defend. They're both very soft as well. I just hope they don't get Nate killed with their hot potato passes in the defensive zone. He's the only one on the line that can actually carry the puck out of the zone.
Kinda with you on the wingers that can't play defense comment, but to then say Hirose can't carry the puck is crazy. Hirose is a pretty skilled puck possession player and always has been. That part of his game has always been a plus.

I think those are 2 totally fine linemates for Danielson, but that's just me.

Reactions: OldnotDeadWings

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
Unfortunately outside Larkin we don't have anyone who could carry the puck in organization. Kane was last season , but he probably gone

Reactions: Gniwder

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
I think we have Nate Danielson.

And that is why I want Hage if he's still available at #15. By the time Nate and 2024 first round pick hit their prime, Larkin will be well past his.

As much as Kasper and Mazur get over hyped here, even the most enthusiastic people aren't gonna claim that they can carry the puck and make plays. So a lot rests on Nate's shoulders.....

Reactions: DatsyukToZetterberg

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Hmm... please just stop whining about draft picks (in short term).

Imo, that's the Biggest waste of time in peoples lives.

We can't change the future or the past, and also, the development is so random.

Only analyzes you can make after 8 years.

Roomba With a Bauer

Sep 11, 2007
The Griffin's top three lines are better than anyone he played with in the WHL. Soderblom scored 20 in the SHL. Danielson will be fine.

The Real Pastafarian

Registered dipshit
Apr 4, 2020
Ohio (OH? IO.)
Hmm... please just stop whining about draft picks (in short term).

Imo, that's the Biggest waste of time in peoples lives.

We can't change the future or the past, and also, the development is so random.

Only analyzes you can make after 8 years.

We can't change the future?...must be some sort of Nordic fatalist philosophy. But seriously I know what you're saying here and you're right, as usual.

There's no point to pining for Suzuki or Rob Thomas. Yes, we'd all like to have one of those guys on our team instead of Rasmussen*. All we can do is root for the front office to go after a guy like that in the future, instead of the guy they went for -- but had they drafted Rob Thomas at that point in the draft, we would have gone into torches-and-pitchforks mode.

*However:

I just can't help but root hard for Rasmussen, and not just for the team's sake, but for his sake. This guy really cares deeply about his career, and how he's not lived up to expectations, and you can see the pain on his face so clearly when he fails. If I stumble across a genie in a bottle, wish #3 (after the one about a kabillion dollars, and the other about Selma Hayak) will be for that guy to score 60 goals next season.

HisNoodliness

The Karate Kid and ASP Kai
Jun 29, 2014
Toronto
We can't change the future?...must be some sort of Nordic fatalist philosophy. But seriously I know what you're saying here and you're right, as usual.

There's no point to pining for Suzuki or Rob Thomas. Yes, we'd all like to have one of those guys on our team instead of Rasmussen*. All we can do is root for the front office to go after a guy like that in the future, instead of the guy they went for -- but had they drafted Rob Thomas at that point in the draft, we would have gone into torches-and-pitchforks mode.

*However:

I just can't help but root hard for Rasmussen, and not just for the team's sake, but for his sake. This guy really cares deeply about his career, and how he's not lived up to expectations, and you can see the pain on his face so clearly when he fails. If I stumble across a genie in a bottle, wish #3 (after the one about a kabillion dollars, and the other about Selma Hayak) will be for that guy to score 60 goals next season.
I'm not using a wish on Ras, but I agree that I feel for the guy. He really does obviously care. Plus, I honestly think that he was set up to fail from the beginning. If Ras had been evaluated properly, he wouldn't be viewed as having not lived up to expectations. He is exactly who his skills in junior projected him to be-or at least 95% of the way there (still expecting a bit more net front offense and physicality).

And the next time there's a prospect that I think is getting way overrated like Moose was, I'll say "please don't take them" every day leading up to the draft, and "I'm rooting for them" every day after.

Reactions: Hockeyville USA

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad