2024 Draft Thread

Rielly4

Dec 12, 2012
The problem with D is its so rare that a D comes up and is actually effective while on their ELC. Its happening right now with Harley but its definitely very rare. With a D pick if they dont turn into a stud top pair D it isnt really worth it. Problem is you dont get those stud top pair Ds unless its through the draft. If they turn out to be second or third pair, you can find that in FA pretty easily and probably better to have the experienced guy. ELC forwards are very effective for scoring depth and a lot better to have in the pipeline when you are a contending team looking for effective salary savings.

horner

May 22, 2007
2020 NHL draft

I wanted us to trade back and get Schneider and an extra late 2nd rd pk

Guhle
Lohrei 58 overall is going to be better than Guhle or Schneider.
Why wasn't he drafted in the 1st rd.

We drafted
Armiov
Hirvonen 59 overall
Niemela 64 overall

Why did Lohrei get drafted so low he looks like he is going to be a stud for Boston
He wasn't even listed on some 3 rd mock drafts ?

Dubas seemed to concentrate on Europe in this draft

Last edited:
Reactions: arso40

horner

May 22, 2007
The problem with D is its so rare that a D comes up and is actually effective while on their ELC. Its happening right now with Harley but its definitely very rare. With a D pick if they dont turn into a stud top pair D it isnt really worth it. Problem is you dont get those stud top pair Ds unless its through the draft. If they turn out to be second or third pair, you can find that in FA pretty easily and probably better to have the experienced guy. ELC forwards are very effective for scoring depth and a lot better to have in the pipeline when you are a contending team looking for effective salary savings.
I think this is the draft to uncover a future top 4 dman.
We need to somehow trade unto the 2nd rd .
Hopefully a mid 2nd rd pk
There's alot of D

Reactions: arso40

TMLBlueandWhite

Feb 2, 2023
Dubas seemed to concentrate on Europe in this draft

This was the covid year.

I always figured they focused on Europeans that year because those guys didn't lose any playing time. North America was shut down and OHL lost a season. So the thinking was these guys didn't get the development like the players in Europe did.

So the focus that year was on players that would, theoretically, be NHL ready sooner.

Thornbury

Dec 29, 2019
So since a big problem is our lack of top pair quality D, and they're really hard to get through free agency, are you saying it's a risk to draft one in the first round, but worthwhile to give it a try?

keonsbitterness

Sep 14, 2010
south of Steeles
This was the covid year.

I always figured they focused on Europeans that year because those guys didn't lose any playing time. North America was shut down and OHL lost a season. So the thinking was these guys didn't get the development like the players in Europe did.

So the focus that year was on players that would, theoretically, be NHL ready sooner.
They had played most of the 19-20 season when it was cut short in March.

20-21 WHL had a limited 'developmental' season with no playoffs, the Q had a partial season with best-of-5 in all playoff rounds except the final, and the OHL was cancelled entirely.

TMLBlueandWhite

Feb 2, 2023
They had played most of the 19-20 season when it was cut short in March.

20-21 WHL had a limited 'developmental' season with no playoffs, the Q had a partial season with best-of-5 in all playoff rounds except the final, and the OHL was cancelled entirely.

I remember now: this was the draft Dubas took all those little guys.

It reminded me of a research paper I read once. It said the best way to increase your odds of finding a "late round gem" was by drafting small skilled scoring forwards from Europe with your late round picks. Dubas had 12 picks that year including six in the last two rounds.

Clearly Dubas read the same paper.

I remember dismissing the results. Because they said something like you could increase the odds of finding a star in the late rounds by 300% if you followed their formula. But 300% of next to nothing is still f*** all.

If, big if, Dubas even thought about that fact it still didn't stop him from drafting all those little guys.

Reactions: uncleben

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Really like Skahan in the 2nd rd
There I'd slot of good dman in the 2nd rd
Brunicke is a good one to
Emery could be an early 2nd as well... unless someone reaches a bit for him in the first. I'd guess he's going to be 34-38.

Reactions: horner

uncleben

Global Moderator
Dec 4, 2008
Acton, Ontario
Who are the best centers that might be available at 23?
Trevor Connelly (LW?)
Michael Hage
Sacha Boisvert
Dean Letourneau
Cole Beaudoin
Jett Luchanko
Luke Misa
Linus Eriksson

Not all those guys would be 1st round ranked, but that's what we'd be looking at really
This draft has some good centers stacked right up at front, and then its wingers and D for a while

TheMadHatTrick

Nov 2, 2008
Really like Skahan in the 2nd rd
There I'd slot of good dman in the 2nd rd
Brunicke is a good one to
We need to get a 2nd somehow, maybe even two. This is the draft to stock your defensive prospects cupboard. I'd be shocked if there wasn't at least one star defenseman among this year's deep group of intriguing talent.

Defensemen ranked from pick 22 through pick 50:

22) Cole Hutson, LD
24) Aron Kivirhaju, LD
25) Adam Jiricek, RD
30) Leo Sahlin-Wallenius, LD
32) Henry Mews, RD
35) EJ Emery, RD
37) Alfons Freij, LD
47) Colton Roberts, RD
48) Will Skahan, LD

HM:

Charlie Elick, RD
Harrison Brunicke, RD
Stian Solberg, LD
Dominik Badinka, RD
Jesse Pulkkinen, LD
Matvei Shuravin, LD
Ben Danford, RD
Spencer Gill, RD
Adam Kleber, RD
Lucas Fischer, LD
Luca Marrelli, RD

Reactions: SprDaVE and horner

horner

May 22, 2007
We need to get a 2nd somehow, maybe even two. This is the draft to stock your defensive prospects cupboard. I'd be shocked if there wasn't at least one star defenseman among this year's deep group of intriguing talent.

Defensemen ranked from pick 22 through pick 50:

22) Cole Hutson, LD
24) Aron Kivirhaju, LD
25) Adam Jiricek, RD
30) Leo Sahlin-Wallenius, LD
32) Henry Mews, RD
35) EJ Emery, RD
37) Alfons Freij, LD
47) Colton Roberts, RD
48) Will Skahan, LD

HM:

Charlie Elick, RD
Harrison Brunicke, RD
Stian Solberg, LD
Dominik Badinka, RD
Jesse Pulkkinen, LD
Matvei Shuravin, LD
Ben Danford, RD
Spencer Gill, RD
Adam Kleber, RD
Lucas Fischer, LD
Luca Marrelli, RD
This is the year to correct our D prospect pool.
We need a mid to late 2nd rd pk.

Reactions: TheMadHatTrick

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
Trevor Connelly (LW?)
Michael Hage
Sacha Boisvert
Dean Letourneau
Cole Beaudoin
Jett Luchanko
Luke Misa
Linus Eriksson

Not all those guys would be 1st round ranked, but that's what we'd be looking at really
This draft has some good centers stacked right up at front, and then its wingers and D for a while
Kind of all or nothing with this guy as the physical package is terrific but the skills aren't quite there yet. Maybe Wes Clark's crystal ball will know more.

Edit. Boone Jenner 2.0?

Reactions: uncleben

weems

Jul 3, 2008
Our drafting the past few years has been very good especially if you factor in where many of our picks were being made.

Right now is in theory the time you want to give them as many bullets as possible and hope they pull off a Dallas like drafting run.

This is very depressing...

Screenshot (1435).png

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Our drafting the past few years has been very good especially if you factor in where many of our picks were being made.

Right now is in theory the time you want to give them as many bullets as possible and hope they pull off a Dallas like drafting run.

This is very depressing...

View attachment 874498

Can 2 5ths and a 7th get you to one of the last 3rd round picks?

Quality > Quantity????

Reactions: arso40 and weems

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Can 2 5ths and a 7th get you to one of the last 3rd round picks?

Quality > Quantity????

I'd keep them and hopefully get a 2nd or 3rd, maybe both if we're trading players off the roster this offseason

We only have 4 of a possible 12 picks in the top 4 rounds the next three drafts.
We've certainly burned though a lot without a ton to show for it

ryno23

Feb 5, 2010
I'd draft Cole Beaudoin.

Having more of guys giving 110% would be appreciated in this organization.
he's a competitor and the knock on his skating is BS. He is a big guy and they never look as shifty as those small guys.

Guy will be a PK beast to start and eventually get PP time.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad