Windsor Spitfires 2023-24 Off-Season Thread (Part 2)

frontsfan67

Dec 3, 2022
you can keep two and in theory have a non reporting player on a frozen list. thats about it. kit had to release kiviharju when they picked up sale. 99 percent of the situations do not allow you to start the year with more then 2.
Interesting. Thanks on the insight. Wasn’t sure if it would be the dvorsky situation all over again.
bowler was telling teams he wanted to keep zhugin as an oa/import. he can be put on a frozen list like any overage now and you can pick one over the summer before having to release one in september. he had 4/5 teams calling on him and said no to trading him.
Wow that’s a confusing move. You have any idea about if the fronts may bring hemstrom back?

Cherrydon

Jan 4, 2019
WINDSOR
Just adding comments/ observations regarding Windsor's orientation camp.
Overall impressed with most players,especially forwards Ethan Belchetz, JC Lemieiux, Ethan Garden and Ryan Cranny.
On the D side I liked alot Grady Spicer,Drake Gram American born Little Caesars teammates with Ethan Garden this past year,Andrew Robinson and Noah Caswell who was the dman drafted in the U18draft.
Goalies Micheal Newlove U18 1st selection and another American 16 year old Jake Windbiel who from I understand wants to play here all 6'5-213 of him.
Belchetz had me starstruck at times I must admit,size,poise,skill,can't wait till main camp to see what this kid will do,imo will make everyone better that he plays with,JC Lemieiux loved his speed and dogged determination, American forward from Little Caesars Ethan Garden really caught my eye,great speed and skill,despite only 5-7"-160 will be a handful if he committed here,Max Brocklehurst mentioned him before definitely intrigued by him impressive motor,Goalies I mentioned liked their ability, attention to detail,size and taking advantage, want to see more of Newlove and Windbiel at main camp.On the D size,like Spicers presence,skates decently for a big guy engages,I see alot of good things here and I know he wants to be here.
Drake Gram another D guy not big but efficient solid at both ends,good hockey sense, Carswell on the D was impressed with his mobility and hockey size,ditto for Andrew Robinson our 3rd round pick similar qualities to Carswell. 2nd round dman Carter Hart had a great end to end rush to score a goal.

Newlove and Windbiel will be interesting moving foward I wanted to mention was 11th round pick out of Owen Sound is Ryan Cranny, I really liked his skating and heads up play showed me some nice skill looking forward to seeing him at main camp.
With the USHL draft Monday afternoon at 4,a 10 round draft for 08 born players will be interesting to see who picks Garden,Gram and Windbiel and whether we will see any if them come main camp in late Aug.
Knowing full well way too early to accurately predict who gets offered a contract by Windsor for those new players,other then Belchetz who is signed already,Lemieiux, Garden, Gram,Spicer, Windbiel and Brocklehurst are definitely on my radar with Cranny and Newlove right there with them
Doesn't mean anyone else could crack that group,I am hoping 2nd round dmen Carter Hart and 4th round dman Andrew Robinson,along with 2nd round U18 dman Noah Caswell make their respective cases to be included in the possible sign list.
Do I think this class has the chance as being as good as the 06's draft choices or even better I do,being cautious however to temper my enthusiasm till I see a whole training camp.
Could see some interesting decisions both from the players whether to sign here if asked or Windsor and how much they want to sign a number of these players.
Can't wait till camp
Thanks Legend for the detailed assessment. Much appreciated!

Cherrydon

Jan 4, 2019
WINDSOR
Yup, looking good for Windsor as this kid was a legit 1st round talent had he made his intentions to play in the USHL known.
Are you thinking the USHL is looking at him as a flyer to end up taken in the 6th round, because they feel he is coming to the OHL?

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
I see dman from Little Caesars and teammate of Center Ethan Garden ,Drake Gram was chosen by Omaha Lancers USHL in the 9th round-121 OA.
He was chosen in the 8th round by Windsor recently.

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
There is some history with players from the Steel coming to the OHL there was/even talk at 1 time of the Steel possibility joining the OHL around 4 years ago.
Green Bay chose dman Andrew Robinson with the 2nd last pick of the 10th round the final round ,149th overall.
He was picked in the 3rd by Windsor in this years draft.

Reactions: Cherrydon

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
Green Bay chose dman Andrew Robinson with the 2nd last pick of the 10th round the final round ,149th overall.
Though I did notice that US born goalie Jake Windbiel was not chosen in tonight's draft from the USHL,however in their 2nd draft tomorrow consisting of 16-20 year olds,15 rounds in number he can be chosen.

Reactions: punch1943

Cherrydon

Jan 4, 2019
WINDSOR
Obviously some discussions pre-interview must have been had with the USHL and players we chose to go late in the draft. Wondering if some U.S. players are feeling the OHL is a better option for some if they weren't selected by the USNPDT program??

Also thinking the possibility of allowing graduated CHL to play in the NCAA is imminent and on the near horizon

Reactions: hockeylegend11

the dog

May 16, 2014
Though I did notice that US born goalie Jake Windbiel was not chosen in tonight's draft from the USHL,however in their 2nd draft tomorrow consisting of 16-20 year olds,15 rounds in number he can be chosen.
They can choose 20 rounds if they want

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
Windsor Star tonight...

Windbiel said he likes the pro-style game of the OHL, the 68 games, traveling, community involvement. He wants to get to the NHL and the OHL might be his best chance. He was "blown away" by the arena and city.

Garden has been focused on NCAA but he's now open to Windsor. "The OHL's a very skilled, fast game and it's good for skilled players that think the game. Windsor's a great team, great organization, and there's an opportunity ... The rink's very cool, everyone that I've met is super nice. Overall, really impressed with the organization."

While I get they have other options, too, it's good to know that Windsor is at least on their radar.

punch1943

Apr 15, 2012
South Detroit
Windsor Star tonight...

Windbiel said he likes the pro-style game of the OHL, the 68 games, traveling, community involvement. He wants to get to the NHL and the OHL might be his best chance. He was "blown away" by the arena and city.

Garden has been focused on NCAA but he's now open to Windsor. "The OHL's a very skilled, fast game and it's good for skilled players that think the game. Windsor's a great team, great organization, and there's an opportunity ... The rink's very cool, everyone that I've met is super nice. Overall, really impressed with the organization."

While I get they have other options, too, it's good to know that Windsor is at least on their radar.
It appears to these old tired eyes that the Spits have made some great choices and my guess is we’ll get some of these to arrive this year as well as next year.

LeProspector

AINEC
Feb 14, 2017
Davis-Abraham-Greentree

Morneau-Spellacy-Belchetz

JC Lemieux-Nesbitt-Outwater

x-Martin-x

Greenwell/Garden/Brocklehurst/Gaymes/O/A coming in/the import pick for the final 2/3 spots?

#3 overall Import? - Cristoforo

Woodall-Walton

Manzo/Winegard - Eichler

Hicks as extra D?

Lot of shit still up in the air. Would be nice to get an O/A on defence but only have so many spots. Guys like Winegard and Greenwell are expendable to be honest and I won’t be surprised to see if they’re not brought back. Outwater is another question mark.

Costanzo

Froggert

Newlove

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
Davis-Abraham-Greentree

x-Martin-x

Greenwell/Garden/Brocklehurst/Gaymes/O/A coming in/the import pick for the final 2/3 spots?

Woodall-Walton

Manzo/Winegard - Eichler

Hicks as extra D?

Lot of shit still up in the air. Would be nice to get an O/A on defence but only have so many spots. Guys like Winegard and Greenwell are expendable to be honest and I won’t be surprised to see if they’re not brought back. Outwater is another question mark.

Costanzo

Froggert

Newlove
A valid complete coaching staff would be a start..

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
Davis-Abraham-Greentree

x-Martin-x

Woodall-Walton

Manzo/Winegard - Eichler

Hicks as extra D?

Costanzo

Froggert

Newlove

They're going to lose...

D - Toure, Toms, possibly Winegard
G - Donoso
F - Struthers, Zhugin, possibly Smith, likely Greenwell

They could/should gain..

D - Manzo, maybe Hicks, maybe Lavigne, Import?, OA?
G - Froggett, Altiman, Newlove, or Windbiel?
F - Belchetz, Lemieux (top two picks), Garden?, Brocklehurst?, Gaymes?, OA?, Import?

Once the trade freeze lifts post-Memorial Cup, along with the Import Draft, we'll have a better idea.

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
They're going to lose...

D - Toure, Toms, possibly Winegard
G - Donoso
F - Struthers, Zhugin, possibly Smith, likely Greenwell

They could/should gain..

D - Manzo, maybe Hicks, maybe Lavigne, Import?, OA?
G - Froggett, Altiman, Newlove, or Windbiel?
F - Belchetz, Lemieux (top two picks), Garden?, Brocklehurst?, Gaymes?, OA?, Import?

Once the trade freeze lifts post-Memorial Cup, along with the Import Draft, we'll have a better idea.
Starting with players not returning or making the club aside from the OAs obvious ones I mean,Struthers,Toms and Zhugin for sure,Smith more then likely,Winegard unless he improves his skating and Greenwell good possibility they both could be moved on.
Pertaining to additions,starting with goaltending I see Costanzo and Froggett as the 2,though Costanzo needs to have a bounce back year otherwise I see him moved.
Altiman turns 19 at the start of the year,don't see him on Windsor's radar,too small at 5'9" which might be generous re his height, and Jake Windbiel and Michael Newlove in the mix can see all 4 seeing action with Newlove playing B in La Salle and Windbiel playing in the US because he can't play B in Ontario unless he was 18 or older, and both of them would compete against Froggett next season.
On the D,I see Manzo making the squad at 17,hopefully they pick a Euro dman in the upcoming draft and with the 3rd selection overall better get a good one and I prefer a dman to be the 3rd OA on this year's team,a Mancini like dman works great for me.
As for Lavigne and Hjelholt I see them being 8,9 or 10 on the list if a Euro and an OA fill the spots beside Christoforo, Eichler, Walton and Woodall,plus Manzo.
Youngsters such as Carter Hart,and American Drake Gram both 16 year olds could challenge and make things interesting
Upfront my lines would be
Abraham-Greentree-Belchetz
Morneau-Spellacy-Davis
Nesbitt-Gaymes-Outwater
Martin-Gardner-Gignac

Lemieiux-Butt,Brocklehurst, Morin,Greenwell
Morgan would battle for 2 spots,ages for those guys are 16,17,16,17,19,19
Now the last 2 spots on the 1st 12 forwards listed would be impacted should Windsor take a Euro forward and they bring in an OA forward,I am against doing both,prefer help on the backend and I like the potential upfront regardless.
I know some may wonder why I include Gignac as a possible player for Windsor this coming season,the 14th round pick last year's draft continues to have a great season with Lakeshore Jr C,only 16 year old on the team,this season so far in 67 games including playoffs he 44 goals,32 assists, 76 points, 51 Pims,7 game winners and most impressively only 5 PP goals as he is used rarely on the PP by Lakeshore.
He is a 1st cousin of current Spit Noah Morneau and his father Chris played minor pro and in Europe, I see the hockey bloodlines here having a factor, needs to add more strength to his 6'1" frame,I think he has a future here and I say why not.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad