GDT: WCSF | IV | "Make It So" | Oilers vs. Canucks | 4.14.24 | 7:30PM | SN/CBC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Louis Cypher

Boys are back in town
Jun 11, 2007
McLeod is weird though. He was given FAR too much rope by Tippett in the 2021 playoffs and that’s pretty much continued since he’s been here.

He’s either got to be the more persuasive man in history or his speed is so enticing that no coach can resist.
Although he does dick offensively he's not much of a liability. He's just RNH 2.0 without the shot. Why Carrick isn't in kind of baffles me.

Reactions: elmeroil

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
McLeod is weird though. He was given FAR too much rope by Tippett in the 2021 playoffs and that’s pretty much continued since he’s been here.

He’s either got to be the more persuasive man in history or his speed is so enticing that no coach can resist.
Coaches love players where very little happens in their own zone when playing. McLeod is very good at that. Unfortunately, he does just as little the other way. All it would take to make him a great playoff player would just be a little physicality, he doesn't need to run anyone and doesn't need to do it every time, but he's fast and can close on players quickly.

If there's any threat that he's going to hit them, the players move the puck quicker and maybe misplay it. At this point, not a single Canuck player is concerned when he's skating in on them. A brief little head fake, and he'll fly by to get back into position.

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
Coaches love players where very little happens in their own zone when playing. McLeod is very good at that. Unfortunately, he does just as little the other way. All it would take to make him a great playoff player would just be a little physicality, he doesn't need to run anyone and doesn't need to do it every time, but he's fast and can close on players quickly.

If there's any threat that he's going to hit them, the players move the puck quicker and maybe misplay it. At this point, not a single Canuck player is concerned when he's skating in on them. A brief little head fake, and he'll fly by to get back into position.
McLeod is very noticeable when it’s an absolute dog fight out there and he’s skating by every hit. Needs to get his hands dirty because this is going to be a nasty, long series.

Reactions: frag2 and Oilhawks

StoveTopStauffer

Apr 6, 2012

For a guy with no teeth you'd think he'd spent more time in the muck around the crease. :skeptic:

Maybe that's the problem, they see his mouth and think he's gritty.

Last edited:

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Game log, player 1: 0.853, 0.806, 0.875, 0.977, 0.750
Game log, player 2: 0.863, 0.750, 0.750, 0.889, 0.906, 0.923, 0.852

There wasn't much to choose from.
Yeah...both are underwhelming.
The thing is that one player had to know that he needed to knock it out of the park to undo the confidence lost in him the previous season.

Campbell was such an utter failure that the team had to expidite their plan for Skinner and thrust him into the starters role way before he was ready. That may have hurt his development long term as well.
In light of all that happened in 2022/23 surely Campbell couldnt have looked at his numbers to start the year and think that he had the starters role locked up.

elmeroil

Feb 3, 2013
I remember when I was really really young I chirped our goalie to the coach. He made me play net the next game and I let in about 20 and he wouldn’t pull me. :laugh:
Ahahahaha yeah that's a good lesson for sure! I remember how much anxiety I had and the mental games my mind was playing on me when I was working on my first shutout. The relief I felt when the buzzer went and it was official. They say goalies are weird, that's such an understatement!

I can't fathom what goes through their minds with 18k in the stands at highest level and in the playoffs!

Reactions: TopShelfGloveSide

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
Markstrom deciding to play with his bff in Calgary f*** us majorly I'd say. Him signing with the Oilers would have checked off one major box

elmeroil

Feb 3, 2013
Can’t read the entire thread right now. Is it confirmed that one of Vinny/Ekholm is in injured and out tonight? Or we just speculating?
Haven't heard anything other than rumors they might go with 11/7 and Broberg

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
McLeod is very noticeable when it’s an absolute dog fight out there and he’s skating by every hit. Needs to get his hands dirty because this is going to be a nasty, long series.
Yeah, I hate to be the guy yelling "MOAR HITTING", but really when someone is literally throwing zero hits for multi-game stretches in the playoffs, I think it's fair to at least want "SOME HITTING".

OfCorsiDid

54 goals? Must've been the money!
Mar 20, 2017
Toronto, ON
Ullmark was going to Boston regardless.

But let's say he signed with the Oilers, he'd be better than any of our goalies in the regular season. In the playoffs, it's another story. Campbell worst save% in the playoffs is better than any of Ullmark playoffs sv%

Campbell worst .897

Ullmark

Ok statistically speaking alone…sure?

Also please find some evidence for the first claim. I think it was less Ullmark being completely invested in Boston and more Holland being too loyal to Smith.

But I don’t really think these stats would translate in reality if Ullmark was the starter.

Firstly, the sample size for both is wayyyyyyyyyyyyy too small. Campbell has 18 GP vs Ullmark has 10.

Campbell’s 4 games for us were all in relief too. Different situation for a goalie and a team than a straight up start. In these 4 games he has 31 saves TOTAL with 28 coming in one game.

So peeling back the layer on Campbell’s playoff stats shows that they’re quite inflated due to situations alone. Sure he might be Osgood 2.0, but there’s an equal chance he’s as bad as he was early in the year.

Pavel10

Nov 10, 2023
Haven't heard anything other than rumors they might go with 11/7 and Broberg
It's confirmed they are Broberg is coming in and brown out.

Suspect 11 forwards messes with line matching for Canucks. Not sure why it's Broberg in and not stretcher. I'd prefer a righty and having ceci very sheltered minutes.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009

Last time Yaremchuk mentioned how his buddy that was a scout said it was a bad pick because the guy is a perimeter player in the OHL so why would you expect different in the NHL, McLeod went off and played like a beast for a bit.

Need Yaremchuk to say that on the radio again maybe, lol

Pavel10

Nov 10, 2023
Markstrom deciding to play with his bff in Calgary f*** us majorly I'd say. Him signing with the Oilers would have checked off one major box
We didn't want markstrom guy is a cancer. He was a sieve 2 years ago and has been whining openly that he wants to leave Calgary and wanted to be traded.

Reactions: Oilhawks

elmeroil

Feb 3, 2013
It's confirmed they are Broberg is coming in and brown out.

Suspect 11 forwards messes with line matching for Canucks. Not sure why it's Broberg in and not stretcher. I'd prefer a righty and having ceci very sheltered minutes.
It's a Brown out! Good, they're 0-2 with Brown in the lineup

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
Last time Yaremchuk mentioned how his buddy that was a scout said it was a bad pick because the guy is a perimeter player in the OHL so why would you expect different in the NHL, McLeod went off and played like a beast for a bit.

Need Yaremchuk to say that on the radio again maybe, lol
Rishaug says it at least once a week. Hasn't got back to McLeod I guess.

It's a Brown out! Good, they're 0-2 with Brown in the lineup
Good point. This is true.

• Haha
Reactions: joestevens29

Oilgasms

May 7, 2011
Edmonton
From OilersNation:
1715721445277.png

Reactions: Sanchez and Canovin

foshizzle

Feb 1, 2007
Is it just me that's surprised they haven't tried Vinny with Nurse again on 2nd pair? If Ceci and Nurse keep getting beaten like a rug, it would make sense to try out a change.
They tried it in the regular season- both Kulak and VD's number dropped. Ended up having two pairs sucking

That's so different, it's like comparing apples to bricks.
How so? One actually has NHL experience- the other had none.

Pavel10

Nov 10, 2023
Ok statistically speaking alone…sure?

Also please find some evidence for the first claim. I think it was less Ullmark being completely invested in Boston and more Holland being too loyal to Smith.

But I don’t really think these stats would translate in reality if Ullmark was the starter.

Firstly, the sample size for both is wayyyyyyyyyyyyy too small. Campbell has 18 GP vs Ullmark has 10.

Campbell’s 4 games for us were all in relief too. Different situation for a goalie and a team than a straight up start. In these 4 games he has 31 saves TOTAL with 28 coming in one game.

So peeling back the layer on Campbell’s playoff stats shows that they’re quite inflated due to situations alone. Sure he might be Osgood 2.0, but there’s an equal chance he’s as bad as he was early in the year.
Campbell good for Toronto in playoffs. Not his fault the "core" can't score. Guy came here and naturally we destroyed his development with hot junk like Schwartz.

elmeroil

Feb 3, 2013
We didn't want markstrom guy is a cancer. He was a sieve 2 years ago and has been whining openly that he wants to leave Calgary and wanted to be traded.
I mean even look at Hellebuyck, so good in the regular season and outside his first playoffs not good at all in the playoffs. Some guys just find another gear in the playoffs- Roloson, Drai and some guys crumble under the pressure- Skinner, Hellebuyck, Nuge

OfCorsiDid

54 goals? Must've been the money!
Mar 20, 2017
Toronto, ON
Although he does dick offensively he's not much of a liability. He's just RNH 2.0 without the shot. Why Carrick isn't in kind of baffles me.

Carrick shouldn’t replace McLeod. That actually is a downgrade. He should be replacing Brown or someone else on line 4.

Taking out McLeod for Carrick gives you one less PKer and one less centre.

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
Carrick shouldn’t replace McLeod. That actually is a downgrade. He should be replacing Brown or someone else on line 4.

Taking out McLeod for Carrick gives you one less PKer and one less centre.
Carrick's also a Centre and also a PKer. Though I agree with your post. Once they elected Brown to sit for Skinner's penalty in Game 1, it was clear to me he's number 6 or 7 on Knoblach's list of penalty killers.

For McLeod though, I keep waiting for a little bit of Corey Perry to rub off on the guy, but it just ain't happening.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad