Euro: UEFA Euro 2024 Draw

HajdukSplit

Nov 9, 2005
NJ
1701402953871.png

The draw for Euro 2024 is set to take place this Saturday (December 2) at 18:00 (CET) in Hamburg. The official pots have been out since the completion of qualifying and UEFA uses a system where they strictly looked at qualifying results for the seeding with group winners getting the benefit of being in Pot 1 or Pot 2, the runners-up and playoff winners fill out the rest of the spots. This is why, at least on paper, some say the pots are not balanced, with Pot 4 looking almost as strong as Pot 2 for now. There is also arguments made that some of these teams (example: Romania, Hungary) had easier groups than say Netherlands and Italy so they were able to achieve getting a higher pot without playing strong teams. However, the rules were known and at the end of the day 16/24 teams in the main draw will make the knockout round. Also, once the draw is complete we will know the fixture schedule the venues each team plays in

The playoff winners will still be drawn just like in Euro 2020 but we will not know the teams in the final tournament until late March, here are those teams involved (* means winners hosts the final):
A: Poland vs. Estonia / Wales vs. Finland*
B: Israel vs. Iceland / Bosnia-Herzegovina vs. Ukraine*
C: Georgia vs. Luxembourg* / Greece vs. Kazakhstan

Not counting the potential playoff winners, as of now there are no debutants in the main draw (Georgia, Luxembourg, Kazakhstan, BiH, Israel and Estonia could become one if they qualify). As of now three teams from 2020 did not qualify (Russia, Sweden and Macedonia). Four teams making their return to the Euros. Albania and Romania return for the first time since 2016 while Serbia and Slovenia had to wait longer, first time at a Euros since 2000. Amongst the playoff candidates, Iceland were last there in 2016 while Greece haven't been in one since 2012

HajdukSplit

Nov 9, 2005
NJ
I havent looked at the paths yet but just based off the draw: Germany and Belgium got kind groups, B and D seem to be the toughest on paper, not that it means much but Group B has the four semifinalists from NL A; F seems pretty even below Portugal

gary69

Sep 22, 2004
Then and there
So if we somehow were to qualify, we'll be in the same group with Holland, Austria and France. :laugh:

Yes.

No they didn't, waste of money really.

The ex-players were surely in good enough condition to take a sideways step to draw the position ball in the group too.

It was like a typical meeting, where half of the people are just there doing nothing most of the time.

HajdukSplit

Nov 9, 2005
NJ
England are in a pretty competitive group. Both Serbia and Denmark are capable of pulling of an upset.

Yeah didn’t get Fox here saying it’s an easy group. England favorites to win it of course but I think Denmark especially can cause them problems. Serbia are so poor defensively but can be dangerous in attack while Slovenia will park the bus and from memory they always play England tough. Belgium is the team which got a gift and if they win the group they play a third place team in R16

Reactions: Rob

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Not a fan of this draw. 3 physical teams who will defend energetically is worse for us than a group of death with us & two big teams. And two of the teams (the Swiss & Hungary) really get fired up to play us.

Nagelsmann certainly has his work cut out for him.

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011
Why does England always get drawn into an easy group?

People can go on about it being a tough group but they should get out of that group with 9 points.

Spain, Croatia and Italy. Didn't we already see this in 2016?

al secord

Mustard Tiger
Jun 26, 2013
Toronto
Why does England always get drawn into an easy group?

People can go on about it being a tough group but they should get out of that group with 9 points.

Always the same narrative, no matter who's in their group lol.

HajdukSplit

Nov 9, 2005
NJ

2012, just replace Albania with Ireland. In this current format Croatia would have gone through and if there was VAR they would have had a late penalty against Spain….4th consecutive Euros Spain will play Croatia and they met in two of the three Nations League tournaments :laugh:

Anyway the kickoff times have been released:

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: SeawaterOnIce

Bondurant

Jul 4, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona
What was up with the sex noises when Serbia was drawn from the pot? Oh, UEFA.

I failed to secure Semi-Final and Final tickets in the first phase of the ticket lottery. I am going to try again but might opt for a few group games instead. My friend is more interested in the finals but at the current price points group stage is where the value is at.

HajdukSplit

Nov 9, 2005
NJ
So the full groups are known already, Georgia making their debut at the Euros will be with Turkey, Czech Republic and Portugal. They have some interesting players but not sure how well they will do, Macedonia in the last edition were in probably a similar group and they didn't get a point. And despite winning the playoff their only wins in qualifying were against Cyprus. I also wonder what kind of fan support they will get

Ukraine get into a manageable group with Belgium, Romania and Slovakia; Poland got a tough group with Netherlands, Austria and France

Reactions: maclean

Incubajerks

Feb 9, 2010
Roma
Cause there's always those pesky elimination rounds. Also compared to the size of the country/ strength of league if anything they're overachieving

I don't know, I understand with Italy who then won the Euro, but the defeat against Wales...

Wee Baby Seamus

Yo, Goober, where's the meat?
Mar 15, 2011
Halifax/Toronto
I've been thinking heavy about Belgium recently, and I've drawn the following conclusion:

Their "Golden Generation" was actually two generations which didn't sync up. They had a defensive golden generation of 86-89 birthdays (Vertonghen, Alderweireld, Kompany, Vermaelen), and an offensive golden generation of 90-95ish birthdays (Hazard is the oldest, and then Lukaku, KdB, and miscellaneous role players such as YFC).

2014, where they barely scraped past the US before losing to Argentina, came too early for the offense. KdB wasn't KdB yet, Lukaku didn't even start over Origi in their QF loss.

2020 and 2022, where they lose to Italy and go out in the group, came too late for the defense.

The only two where you can say that there was sync up are 2016 and 2018. 2016 was a disaster (losing to Wales unforgivable), 2018 they were the second best team in the tournament but lost to the first best in the semis because of how the draw worked out.

Because of the timing of their Golden Generation(s), there were really only two tournaments where I think they could've been considered amongst the favourites - in one of those they very conceivably could've made the final, but lost to a set piece goal.

I've softened on my "Belgium golden gen disappointment" stance.

Reactions: cgf

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
I've been thinking heavy about Belgium recently, and I've drawn the following conclusion:

Their "Golden Generation" was actually two generations which didn't sync up. They had a defensive golden generation of 86-89 birthdays (Vertonghen, Alderweireld, Kompany, Vermaelen), and an offensive golden generation of 90-95ish birthdays (Hazard is the oldest, and then Lukaku, KdB, and miscellaneous role players such as YFC).

2014, where they barely scraped past the US before losing to Argentina, came too early for the offense. KdB wasn't KdB yet, Lukaku didn't even start over Origi in their QF loss.

2020 and 2022, where they lose to Italy and go out in the group, came too late for the defense.

The only two where you can say that there was sync up are 2016 and 2018. 2016 was a disaster (losing to Wales unforgivable), 2018 they were the second best team in the tournament but lost to the first best in the semis because of how the draw worked out.

Because of the timing of their Golden Generation(s), there were really only two tournaments where I think they could've been considered amongst the favourites - in one of those they very conceivably could've made the final, but lost to a set piece goal.

I think this neglects the impact of Martinez's shitty coaching

gary69

Sep 22, 2004
Then and there

Kompany missing the Euro 2016 was a huge loss for them, it's unfortunate that he was so injury prone.

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis

I think that, with defenders typically aging more gracefully, it’s set up the way you’d want it. I do think that Covid may have had more of an impact on Belgium than anyone else.

But when you’re separating groups by one year, that separation doesn’t mean much to me.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad