The Roster Thread, Summer 2024

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
i absolutely hate the idea of trading Owen Power right now.
I wouldn’t categorically take the idea off the table if I was the GM, but I would need to be paid the full sticker price on his potential to seriously entertain it.
I would think about it, but it would probably have to be in a deal for someone like Tkachuk or something similar. It's not that we have problems with left-handed defenders, but it doesn't make sense to simply trade Owen, first we'll see how he plays with Lindy at the helm. Hamilton seemed to be good in Jersey and defense certainly wasn't his strong suit.

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
I would think about it, but it would probably have to be in a deal for someone like Tkachuk or something similar. It's not that we have problems with left-handed defenders, but it doesn't make sense to simply trade Owen, first we'll see how he plays with Lindy at the helm. Hamilton seemed to be good in Jersey and defense certainly wasn't his strong suit.
Dougie getting hurt was a key in everything going to shit for the Devils, something lost on all the hockey media midwits haw-hawing at us for hiring Lindy.

MOGlLNY

Jan 5, 2008
Might need to tweak your reading skills. Where did I say anything about physicality when it comes to Hedman? I’m talking about the defensive IQ with Hedman.

As for the Risto comparison, was Risto not an offensively capable defenseman with above average skating skills, his offensive skills carried his game while his defensive IQ decision making was what held him back in the defensive zone? I already mentioned the “without physicality” aspect.
Defensive IQ is 95% of the time acquired with experience at the NHL level. Hence why you even see players like Sanderson who was a defensive stalwart at every level he's played at getting worked in many clips this year.

I'm also willing to wager you very rarely watched Hedman in those days. As somebody who was heavily into prospects at the time and loved Hedman and took in a lot of him, he left a lot to be desired when his career started defensively.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: joshjull

Sabresbyswords104

Dec 7, 2019
What is the evidence the bottom 6 is the reason?

You dont use 11OA to acquire bottom 6 players
Of course it is a combination of stuff But Okposo Olofsson and these guys are just misfits and dont make the sabres better we need better players . For the 11oa you need a top 6 winger someone who can bump Down some guys for all around better depth. We will have injuries for example if tuch is hurt or quinn cozens we cant play Olofsson and these guys . They need to adress the needs and acquire it this summer .

2 top lines are in very good Shape. The bottom and depth sucks and have no replacement for injuries . What i mean is more we have pieces to finally ice a team That should easy make the playoffs.

Go hard for 3 2 trade 1 ufa :

Tampa Buffalo trade - cirrelli + for the 11 pick and krebs.

Trade for vartrano from Ducks

Sign stephenson as ufa

If they do they have a contender team its just 3 pieces. Vatrano 2 years not That high cap, stephenson and give a bit extra to accquire cirelli. That is a hell of better team then Olofsson krebs Okposo or something

Peterka Thompson Tuch
Benson Cozens Quinn
Skinner Cirelli Vatrano
Girgensons Stephenson Greenway

Go hard for 3 changes

Stephenson
Vatrano
Cirelli

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
Those goalies probably dont have the same value buried behind Levi on the depth chart and not getting reps. Hell, they might not even make it that far as Sabres—they could easily read the tea leaves and pull a Portillo.

Speaking of value, Rosen himself is a good trade chip for us that we could use to go improve the roster.
Levi was buried in the depth chart in Florida too. Guess what happened - he was traded for who is now one of their best, most important scorers and players.

Sabresbyswords104

Dec 7, 2019
Skinner can then be bought out if needed (2 years left or traded if accept it)

How hard should it be to ice a playoff team )

In my mind they are like 3 moves away right now

Even if they overpay for cirelli and Vatrano it would be worth it and then just sign 1 ufa that are good for 4 line. Stephenson can play both wing and c up and down the lineup .

Professor Chaos

May 1, 2018
Gotham
Of course it is a combination of stuff But Okposo Olofsson and these guys are just misfits and dont make the sabres better we need better players . For the 11oa you need a top 6 winger someone who can bump Down some guys for all around better depth. We will have injuries for example if tuch is hurt or quinn cozens we cant play Olofsson and these guys . They need to adress the needs and acquire it this summer .

2 top lines are in very good Shape. The bottom and depth sucks and have no replacement for injuries . What i mean is more we have pieces to finally ice a team That should easy make the playoffs.

Sign stephenson as ufa

If they do they have a contender team its just 3 pieces. Vatrano 2 years not That high cap, stephenson and give a bit extra to accquire cirelli. That is a hell of better team then Olofsson krebs Okposo or something

Peterka Thompson Tuch
Benson Cozens Quinn
Skinner Cirelli Vatrano

Go hard for 3 changes

Stephenson
Vatrano
Cirelli

What about Brock Nelson? He's only 32 and has 1 year remaining at 6MM. Big body. He could help us. Isles need to shed cap and get younger. one year trial to see if he would re-up with us. Don't know what he'd cost via trade

5 Minute Major

Sabres Fan
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2010
Vestal, NY

For Bardy Tkachuk?

Absolutely not putting Power on the table for that. No way.

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
I recommend listening to the Vinny prospal interview on Sabres live last week. We’re lucky to have him. I reckon he’s every bit as good as Peca, if not better. I hope they don’t let him walk away.

Reactions: Dingo44

Fly Boy

Aye Sir!
Jul 29, 2009
Michigan

Sign stephenson as ufa

Peterka Thompson Tuch
Benson Cozens Quinn
Skinner Cirelli Vatrano

Go hard for 3 changes

Stephenson
Vatrano
Cirelli
I'm sorry you're going to pay Stephenson $5m+ to play on the 4th line? Then you're going to trade 11 overall for Cirelli effectivity paying our 3/4 C's over $11m a year to play roughly 20 min of the game? That's asinine.

DJN21

Aug 8, 2011
Rochester
I'm sorry you're going to pay Stephenson $5m+ to play on the 4th line? Then you're going to trade 11 overall for Cirelli effectivity paying our 3/4 C's over $11m a year to play roughly 20 min of the game? That's asinine.
I'm more curious what we magically traded to the ducks for Vatrano??

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
Sure would be nice to have Wyatt Johnson on the team instead of Rosen. Or any of the other 10 picks that went after Rosen.

I think our amateur scouts are very much overrated under Adams.
The 2021 draft is going to be an outlier for years with many prospects not playing much.

give Rosen some time to play in the nhl.
I wouldn’t categorically take the idea off the table if I was the GM, but I would need to be paid the full sticker price on his potential to seriously entertain it.
I'm not trading Power for spare parts.
Those goalies probably dont have the same value buried behind Levi on the depth chart and not getting reps. Hell, they might not even make it that far as Sabres—they could easily read the tea leaves and pull a Portillo.

To be fair Portillo didnt do much of anything in a backup role in Michigan.

He became the starter at Michigan after Levi was acquired.
Speaking of value, Rosen himself is a good trade chip for us that we could use to go improve the roster.
Sure he can br traded. I'm not trading him for spare parts.
Dougie getting hurt was a key in everything going to shit for the Devils, something lost on all the hockey media midwits haw-hawing at us for hiring Lindy.
It was more than just that. Yrs him being injured. Let's not forget..
1. They replaced 2 vets with 2 rookies at D.
2. In 22/23 they rode an early season 18-1-1 streak. Outside of that, they were around thr bubble teams are for playoffs in the 63 g. This past season after 63g they had 7 games they won turn into 4 L and 3 loser pts. Iys about small margins

Sign stephenson as ufa

Peterka Thompson Tuch
Benson Cozens Quinn
Skinner Cirelli Vatrano

Go hard for 3 changes

Stephenson
Vatrano
Cirelli
Then came the salary cap. This isnt feasible

I'm not trading 11OA for Cirelli. His cap hit is likely higher that what KA felt would sign Mitts for.

Vatrano after a career yr. Not touching that.

Hoe much do you think Stephenson will cost ad a 4c?

Sabresbyswords104

Dec 7, 2019
I'm more curious what we magically traded to the ducks for Vatrano??
Thats not the point, its that we cant play the same team . Cirelli salary is 6.250 , vatrano 3.650 would work good . Stephenson we can take out and add sturm or someone instead Our 4 th and 3 line is just not fitting in any good .

We cant play all of Kulich Savoie Rosén ostlund this year first on the 3-4 line and maybe then dont suit a 3-4 line roll

We have 2 good lines But we havent build a team as we dont have the pieces for a good 3-4 line now .

It should not be hard as its 2 lines That need to be filled to reach playoffs .

Peterka cozens quinn Benson Tuch Thompson are more Then good for top 6 .

Skinner is perhaps the only real problem and hopefully can trade him

Sabresbyswords104

Dec 7, 2019
I dont like rosen, dont know why . Seems like a player That not Will make it, hopefully we can trade rosen, 1 round pick , krebs, 2 rounder for upgrades and keep Savoie kulich and Ostlund.

Sabresbyswords104

Dec 7, 2019
The 2021 draft is going to be an outlier for years with many prospects not playing much.

give Rosen some time to play in the nhl.

I'm not trading Power for spare parts.

To be fair Portillo didnt do much of anything in a backup role in Michigan.

He became the starter at Michigan after Levi was acquired.

Sure he can br traded. I'm not trading him for spare parts.

It was more than just that. Yrs him being injured. Let's not forget..
1. They replaced 2 vets with 2 rookies at D.
2. In 22/23 they rode an early season 18-1-1 streak. Outside of that, they were around thr bubble teams are for playoffs in the 63 g. This past season after 63g they had 7 games they won turn into 4 L and 3 loser pts. Iys about small margins

Then came the salary cap. This isnt feasible

I'm not trading 11OA for Cirelli. His cap hit is likely higher that what KA felt would sign Mitts for.

Vatrano after a career yr. Not touching that.

Hoe much do you think Stephenson will cost ad a 4c?

It was just example of players it can be many others instead . This summer Adams need to be active before the draft adding a top 6 player and atleast 2 3-4 liners maybe 3 (the top 6 player is used up and Down the 1-3 lines ) sturm could be a player for the 4 line from san Jose

Selanne00008

Jun 2, 2006
NYC - UES
If we are shuffling the deck chairs on the titanic, I'd prefer to keep #11 overall and instead, trade prospects.

You want #11 to be NHL ready in 3 years. And we will still need that player on an ELC, once guys like Savoie and Kulich need raises.

We have multiple prospects that are about to burst onto the scene with no room for them on the roster, and even if we did have the room, it's hard breaking in multiple babies into the top 9, even if that's where they ultimately belong.

So, trading/bundling 2 prospects for a roster player is what is needed. Who those players are isn't my job, so it's hard to speculate what kind of player you want to target, and what kind of prospect is even worth giving up for that type of role? It doesn't really make sense to me to trade a high end prospect with a high ceiling like Kulich, Rosen, Ostlund for a 3rd line center that's already hit their plateau. To me that's poor asset management and we should be trading quality AND quantity for higher end Quality.

Long winded way to say we should be targeting a Tkachuk-ish type of player (doesn't have to be him exactly), if they are available and moving 2-3 pieces to get him.

Savoie, Ostlund and Kulich are all born within 4 months of each other. My guess is one of them, and/or Rosen is out the door this summer. Most likely Ostlund/Rosen.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
If we are shuffling the deck chairs on the titanic, I'd prefer to keep #11 overall and instead, trade prospects.

You want #11 to be NHL ready in 3 years. And we will still need that player on an ELC, once guys like Savoie and Kulich need raises.

We have multiple prospects that are about to burst onto the scene with no room for them on the roster, and even if we did have the room, it's hard breaking in multiple babies into the top 9, even if that's where they ultimately belong.

So, trading/bundling 2 prospects for a roster player is what is needed. Who those players are isn't my job, so it's hard to speculate what kind of player you want to target, and what kind of prospect is even worth giving up for that type of role? It doesn't really make sense to me to trade a high end prospect with a high ceiling like Kulich, Rosen, Ostlund for a 3rd line center that's already hit their plateau. To me that's poor asset management and we should be trading quality AND quantity for higher end Quality.

Long winded way to say we should be targeting a Tkachuk-ish type of player (doesn't have to be him exactly), if they are available and moving 2-3 pieces to get him.

Savoie, Ostlund and Kulich are all born within 4 months of each other. My guess is one of them, and/or Rosen is out the door this summer. Most likely Ostlund/Rosen.
The million dollar question is what will other GMs want.

There are solid arguments to be made that other GMs would value the pick more (they get their guy and shape his development their way) or that they might value one of the Sabres prospects more (they liked a certain player in their draft year, they are closer to being NHL-ready, etc.).

We have no idea what other GMs will ask for in a trade conversation. Personally, I don't really care about the pick vs prospect debate. I just want to see 2 or 3 quality NHL veterans added to the NHL roster to help this team take the next step forward and I don't want to hear Adams talk about valuing the 11th OV pick or a particular forward prospect more than getting quality players onto the NHL roster.

Reactions: Selanne00008

MeenOlViks

May 25, 2015
I recommend listening to the Vinny prospal interview on Sabres live last week. We’re lucky to have him. I reckon he’s every bit as good as Peca, if not better. I hope they don’t let him walk away.
I would assume Prospal takes the reins in Roch, no?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad