Prospect Info: The 2024 NHL Entry Draft Thread

Which player are you most looking forward to?

• Cole Hutson, LD [USNTDP, USHL]

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Artyom Levshunov, RD [Michigan State Spartans, NCAA]

• Zayne Parekh, RD [Saginaw Spirit, OHL]

• Total voters

LTCPain75

Jul 12, 2022
I think people are little too down on his offense. He's not going to be a 30 point guy or anything, but he's not going to be a hindrance either. A guy his size shouldn't skate like he can, and he loves the physical part of the game. He's a lot like a young Manson.
Elick is ranked from #25 to #33 on multiple sites. Maybe the Avs can get this guy.

Deadsy

May 8, 2021
Based on the very small sample size of two recent U18 games I like Brunicke more. He didn't stand out negatively and was quietly team best D with +11. Elick had some bad plays and was in trouble few times with the buck in D-zone.

GeoRox89

Nov 16, 2013
Fires of Mt Doom
I like it. A big RH shutdown, 2nd pair D-man.

No. 25: Colorado Avalanche — Harrison Brunicke, D (Kamloops Blazers, WHL)

From Flo Hockey:

Harrison Brunicke, D, Canada​

With good skating ability and agility, Brunicke defends very well. Canada used him in a shutdown role, getting a lot of tough matchups and he handled it very well. He also showed some decent touch on the puck, making a good first pass and keeping things simple. He’s not going to be a major point producer, but I could see a lot of teams feeling more comfortable taking him fairly early on Day 2, especially as a 6-foot-3, right-shot defenseman.
Well at least this would give me a good reason to follow the Blazers again

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
I like it. A big RH shutdown, 2nd pair D-man.

No. 25: Colorado Avalanche — Harrison Brunicke, D (Kamloops Blazers, WHL)

From Flo Hockey:

Harrison Brunicke, D, Canada​

With good skating ability and agility, Brunicke defends very well. Canada used him in a shutdown role, getting a lot of tough matchups and he handled it very well. He also showed some decent touch on the puck, making a good first pass and keeping things simple. He’s not going to be a major point producer, but I could see a lot of teams feeling more comfortable taking him fairly early on Day 2, especially as a 6-foot-3, right-shot defenseman.
Why do they have Colorado's pick at 25 when they will be 32? I am so confused.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
If somebody doesn't draft Macias in the bottom 3 rounds, I'm going to riot. Lehkonen-lite, but still pretty productive. I love this Polska team, zero talent, especially on the PP, but never give up.

Lonewolfe2015

Rom Com Male Lead
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2007
Might as well bump this since the season's all but over.

Hopefully we find another Calum Ritchie with our late pick.

Wouldn't be surprised if they grabbed Ryder. Unless there's another faller, Ryder is well positioned in the late 1st.

I'd really like to see the Avs get a late 2nd and grab Vinni. Take a swing on a top goalie prospect in a weak goaltending year.

Aeros026

Apr 4, 2015
Sherbrooke
So what prospects are you hoping that the Avs take in the first round this year realistically ? Hoping for another good prospect similar to Ritchie...

Perratrooper

May 26, 2016
Alberta
Has anyone been able to watch EJ Emery? From what I’ve read he projects to be a smooth skating shut down defenseman with very limited offensive skills. I think his projection long term would be a great fit for a shut down #4/5 defenseman. Has anyone seen him, what are the thoughts on him?

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
Alright so we're locked in to #24.

Who are some reasonable options there? Unless we trade back (unlikely) we won't pick again until the 5th round, of which we will practically just set up basecamp on the stage.

Of course I know we could always trade it for NHL help, but it seems like that doesn't happen.

Would be nice if we hit on someone who makes an immediate impact right out of training camp. Like, remember how we were all (well, maybe not @henchman21) surprised that O'Reilly made the team out of training camp. If our Amateur Scouts, who we've not been able to trust using safety scissors made for Kindergarteners, can somehow swing that, then that would be pretty nice,

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
Nobody that should be available at 24 is NHL ready unless you are talking about an overager. Jesse Pulkkinen is probably close to NHL ready though he really could use 2 years getting used to his frame IMO. He's a 2nd rounder for me, but he's not sliding to the 5th, so Avs would have to just take him or trade down (more likely just take him). Jiricek may slide due to injury, but I think he's close. As a later round guy I really like De Luca as an overager. I don't know how he wasn't drafted last year, but really should be a 4th-6th rounder this year who plays NA hockey real soon and could squeak into the NHL. Becher, Romani, and Nabokov are other overage name.

95snipes

Dec 11, 2019
Has anyone been able to watch EJ Emery? From what I’ve read he projects to be a smooth skating shut down defenseman with very limited offensive skills. I think his projection long term would be a great fit for a shut down #4/5 defenseman. Has anyone seen him, what are the thoughts on him?
Yes. I'm very high on him. Plus skater with a good reach/range and good stick. Excels breaking up plays off the rush and preventing entries. Wins battles along the boards. Negatives are he can be slow to process with the puck and can be soft/loose in coverage at times around the net.

I see his game translating well as he progresses. He still has a ton of room to grow into his frame. Not the most exciting pick ever, but I see a 20-23 minute a night defenseman who can play against other teams best players and pk. You take a look at what Chris Tanev did this series and want that wearing Avs colors, Emery is your guy.

Pick the highest potential player, either they come in a few years down the line to give the team a boost or they build value as trade bait.
Trevor Connelly had a Kadri moment in the u18 gold medal game. I'm not sure if it will affect his draft position, but if anyone was on the fence about him, it gave them one more reason to pass on him. I don't have the insight that teams will to the full picture with Connelly, but I'd be disappointed if he were there and he wasn't the pick from a talent perspective.

Reactions: Perratrooper

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
When I have a little bit of downtime at work, I play with a Mock Draft Simulator. Now, I have no way of knowing how updated these rankings are, so I just choose the most recent ones

Draft Simulator

This was the most recent one I did, make note that they still have the Avs at 25 so they haven't updated that yet:

25: Adam Jiricek, RD
122: Anthony Romani, C
132: Austin Burnevik, RW
137: Eriks Mateiko, RW
186: Ondrej Becher, C
215: Jack Pridham, RW
218: Jake Fisher, C

I didn't intend for this simulation to be C and RW heavy, it's just how it ended up falling.

95snipes

Dec 11, 2019
A name for the later rounds - Lucas Van Vliet. I could see anywhere from late 2nd to the 5th with him, but if he's there with the 4th, he's the pick. Or someone to trade up for. Smooth skater, great hands and shot. He's got a better raw skillset than some players that will go late 1st / early 2nd. There were some legitimate high end flashes and he could breakout in a big way in say his +2 or +3. His biggest issue this year was really deployment. Bottom six without much powerplay time.

Another name - Brendan McMorrow. He's got lots of speed, good motor, and plays a north-south game. Good forechecker and penalty killer. He projects as bottom six, not a great finisher, but there's some sneaky skill. As long as Bednar is around, he plays Avs style hockey. A Logan O'Connor development curve would be a great outcome.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
Pick the highest potential player, either they come in a few years down the line to give the team a boost or they build value as trade bait.
Even that is subjective, especially out side the first dozen or so picks. Alongside that, highest potential but late picks usually have some sort of significant flaw. OO is a great example. His frame, skating, shot, and athletic ability scream that he's a future top 6 winger and potential 30g scorer. His brain, work ethic, and battle flaws are large enough that he's likely to never be a full time NHLer. An opposite example is ROR in 09... he most certainly was not the highest potential guy at his spot. Yet he was quite clearly one of the 10 best players from that draft (I'd argue top 5).

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
Even that is subjective, especially out side the first dozen or so picks. Alongside that, highest potential but late picks usually have some sort of significant flaw. OO is a great example. His frame, skating, shot, and athletic ability scream that he's a future top 6 winger and potential 30g scorer. His brain, work ethic, and battle flaws are large enough that he's likely to never be a full time NHLer. An opposite example is ROR in 09... he most certainly was not the highest potential guy at his spot. Yet he was quite clearly one of the 10 best players from that draft (I'd argue top 5).
Man, that fall was so damn fun around here. There were several posters here that were attending training camp and giving writeups at the end of the day. Radar was earning more and more praise daily until he finally forced his way on to the team as the youngest Av.

One day, I'd like a peek at the Avs alternate universe wiki where they chose ROR and MacKinnon as their two centers.

Perratrooper

May 26, 2016
Alberta
Yes. I'm very high on him. Plus skater with a good reach/range and good stick. Excels breaking up plays off the rush and preventing entries. Wins battles along the boards. Negatives are he can be slow to process with the puck and can be soft/loose in coverage at times around the net.

I see his game translating well as he progresses. He still has a ton of room to grow into his frame. Not the most exciting pick ever, but I see a 20-23 minute a night defenseman who can play against other teams best players and pk. You take a look at what Chris Tanev did this series and want that wearing Avs colors, Emery is your guy.

Trevor Connelly had a Kadri moment in the u18 gold medal game. I'm not sure if it will affect his draft position, but if anyone was on the fence about him, it gave them one more reason to pass on him. I don't have the insight that teams will to the full picture with Connelly, but I'd be disappointed if he were there and he wasn't the pick from a talent perspective.

Sounds like the perfect pick to me. From what I’ve read he’s struggling to put on the weight you would hope, but if he can’t put on an extra 20lbs he might become a very imposing force. If he can provide a Blues version or Bouwmeester type of defense I would be ecstatic!

Do you have a player you think would be better in that spot?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad