WC: Team Canada 2024

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
Are we still bickering about Fantilli and Celebrini? The one hasn’t played a game since January and the other is draft eligible. One guy needs to fully rehab a calf injury and the other should finish high school. Okay I’m kidding about the last bit, but he would have been the 13th forward anyway, and surely he’s got a lot of pre-draft stuff going on.

Meanwhile, the guys who are there are there. Dubois scored a beauty today, and Bedard is getting into a good rhythm with his linemates. Kid might score 15 before the tournament is over.
If we really want to win, replacing the kids is for the best. If we want to have "fun" watching, the more kids the better.

MeHateHe

Dec 24, 2006
If we really want to win, replacing the kids is for the best. If we want to have "fun" watching, the more kids the better.
Sure sure. Watching winning teams is more fun for me. And I think this group has the potential to play some entertaining hockey along the way. Like I said, the pass from Paul to Bedard for the goal Friday was a thing of beauty, as was Dubois goal today.

Regardless, my point is that there were good non-hockey reasons for those two kids to skip the tournament.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
The start has been quite acceptable. Canada usually sleepwalks through these early games, and other times they pound these teams and then get shell shocked later on. The focus should be on building some chemistry and making sure that the defence is stable. Dubois' goal aside it would be nice if the power play would start to threaten teams more.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I like seeing the special teams units come together during these early games.

That’s more critical than just about anything else.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
McBain over Greig. I'm officially completely checked out now. Won't be watching this trash slow team with no heart, speed or skill. Tavares, Paul and Dubois over Fantilli, Celebrini and Greig. That's the three rosters decisions they made lol. What a joke. Can barely beat Denmark and GB.

The boys look very disorganized and a little sleepy still. I think they will get better as they go, and hopefully they do, because they didn’t look as dominate as they should be against either team so far.

Just so long as we keep winning, and being better than the opponent.
The forwards have such little skill it's kinda pathetic a year before a best on best. Literally not a single player other than Bedard has a real shot. Glad we got McBain over there lol.

• Haha
Reactions: al secord

HFpapi

Mar 6, 2010
Toronto/Amsterdam
McBain over Greig. I'm officially completely checked out now. Won't be watching this trash slow team with no heart, speed or skill. Tavares, Paul and Dubois over Fantilli, Celebrini and Greig. That's the three rosters decisions they made lol. What a joke. Can barely beat Denmark and GB.

The forwards have such little skill it's kinda pathetic a year before a best on best. Literally not a single player other than Bedard has a real shot. Glad we got McBain over there lol.
Give me a break lol.

I'm on record earlier in this thread saying I'm disappointed about sending the kids home because i) I was excited to watch them and ii) I don't want to put a bad taste in the mouths of two potential future stars.

That said, if you think 19 year old Adam Fantilli and his 27 points (0.55 PPG) was going to make more of an impact than John Tavares (29 goals this season, one season removed from 36 goals and 80 points) or that 17 year old Celebrini is already better than PLD (who btw scored a very nice goal last game) you're completely out to lunch.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
It's also Paul and Hagel who bumped out Fantilli and Celebrini, not Dubois or Tavares. Fantilli and Celebrini are more talented players, Paul and Hagel are more ready to contribute right now. I'd rather err with youth but it isn't like they went with older players who also made the team worse. They went with older players with limited potential but who help the team today.

Reactions: wetcoast

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
It's also Paul and Hagel who bumped out Fantilli and Celebrini, not Dubois or Tavares. Fantilli and Celebrini are more talented players, Paul and Hagel are more ready to contribute right now. I'd rather err with youth but it isn't like they went with older players who also made the team worse. They went with older players with limited potential but who help the team today.
Hagel is a 70+ point NHL player entering his prime. If he wants to come over you take him every single time. Don’t even think about it.

Reactions: jj cale

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Give me a break lol.

I'm on record earlier in this thread saying I'm disappointed about sending the kids home because i) I was excited to watch them and ii) I don't want to put a bad taste in the mouths of two potential future stars.

That said, if you think 19 year old Adam Fantilli and his 27 points (0.55 PPG) was going to make more of an impact than John Tavares (29 goals this season, one season removed from 36 goals and 80 points) or that 17 year old Celebrini is already better than PLD (who btw scored a very nice goal last game) you're completely out to lunch.
Tavares looks abysmal on the big ice. Too slow. Also this should be a warm up for best on best Fantilli and Celebrini actually have a chance to play at some point. Tavares has none. Dubois is a floater with a bad attitude. Ofcourse he lights up bad teams. Wait until they play Sweden or USA Tavares and Dubois will be too slow and non factors.

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
Tavares looks abysmal on the big ice. Too slow. Also this should be a warm up for best on best Fantilli and Celebrini actually have a chance to play at some point. Tavares has none. Dubois is a floater with a bad attitude. Ofcourse he lights up bad teams. Wait until they play Sweden or USA Tavares and Dubois will be too slow and non factors.
Duly noted.

These are the players we've got though and we have to try and win with them, may as well give them our support. I've seen plenty of consternation from fans of other teams here regarding roster selection but I haven't seen one say they are dumping their support for the team because of it.

HFpapi

Mar 6, 2010
Toronto/Amsterdam
If you think 17 year old Celebrini and 19 year old Fantilli gave Canada a better chance to win than John Tavares and PLD then, respectably, I really question your hockey knowledge. (Not to mention those weren't their replacements anyways).

Also, why are we treating this tournament as a prospect camp for future tournaments? I'd rather win? The USA sent a serious team this year and the Europeans take this tournament seriously. Maybe we should just send our entire U18 team then. I'm sure them getting smoked 11-2 by Sweden is a great warm up for our future generation.

Reactions: tyhee

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
I guess you won't really know as you aren't going to watch right?

Reactions: Oilslick941611

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
If you think 17 year old Celebrini and 19 year old Fantilli gave Canada a better chance to win than John Tavares and PLD then, respectably, I really question your hockey knowledge. (Not to mention those weren't their replacements anyways).

Also, why are we treating this tournament as a prospect camp for future tournaments? I'd rather win? The USA sent a serious team this year and the Europeans take this tournament seriously. Maybe we should just send our entire U18 team then. I'm sure them getting smoked 11-2 by Sweden is a great warm up for our future generation.
USA brought Leonard and Smith.

Maybe this gives canada a better chance to win but also maybe not. The speed is a big issue on the big ice.

Your last sentence is a joke. Grow up.

Reactions: ORRFForever

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
Hagel is a 70+ point NHL player entering his prime. If he wants to come over you take him every single time. Don’t even think about it.
I get why they did it with Hagel, Paul too. Nash wants to win, not just give guys reps. I also somewhat assume that Fantilli isn't fully there physically and Nash wouldn't want to risk injury to a player from his own NHL team.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Duly noted.

These are the players we've got though and we have to try and win with them, may as well give them our support. I've seen plenty of consternation from fans of other teams here regarding roster selection but I haven't seen one say they are dumping their support for the team because of it.
I am not dumping my support but I really dont care what happens now. Mcbain over Greig is also an absolute joke. Just slower less skilled choices when they are playing a skill game on the big ice. Its frankly boring. Does anyone wanna watch Tavares Dubois and Mcbain?.... Honestly. Does that fire you up? Do you think they are that much of a better team with those three players than Fantilli, Celebrini and Greig? Probably but not by much.

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
I am not dumping my support but I really dont care what happens now. Mcbain over Greig is also an absolute joke. Just slower less skilled choices when they are playing a skill game on the big ice. Its frankly boring. Does anyone wanna watch Tavares Dubois and Mcbain?.... Honestly. Does that fire you up? Do you think they are that much of a better team with those three players than Fantilli, Celebrini and Greig? Probably but not by much.
I'd say when you don't really care what happens now you have effectively dropped your support.

But that's me.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad