Trade: [SD/MIA] Luis Arraez for Dillon Head, Woo-suk Go, Jakob Marsee, Nathan Martorella

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
just when things were finally looking up for the marlins, they go right back to blowing things up

disgraceful how mlb allows certain teams to operate this way

Reactions: PanthersPens62

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
just when things were finally looking up for the marlins, they go right back to blowing things up

disgraceful how mlb allows certain teams to operate this way
When people on the NHL boards pontificate about the ridiculous idea of having a relegation system, baseball is actually the place where it should happen. The bottom 4 or 5 teams just have no interest in trying and no indication as to when they intend to.

Reactions: Big Poppa Puck

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
When people on the NHL boards pontificate about the ridiculous idea of having a relegation system, baseball is actually the place where it should happen. The bottom 4 or 5 teams just have no interest in trying and no indication as to when they intend to.
I wouldn’t include trading Arraez for four pieces, 3 of considerable value, as example of this though

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
I wouldn’t include trading Arraez for four pieces, 3 of considerable value, as example of this though
They traded last year’s batting champion one month into his second year on the team when they had 2 more years before free agency, and by account here, didn’t even get a top 5 prospect (much less their best one). It’s a franchise that lives to be meaningless and no intention of ever not being that.

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
They traded last year’s batting champion one month into his second year on the team when they had 2 more years before free agency, and by account here, didn’t even get a top 5 prospect (much less their best one). It’s a franchise that lives to be meaningless and no intention of ever not being that.
Arraez is incredibly mediocre. They traded him before every other team realized it

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Sponsor
Oct 23, 2014
Say what you want about their history and doing this all the time, the simple fact is this Marlins team needs to be torn down and rebuilt. This team with Arraez as their 'best' player aren't going anywhere.

He is trending toward being a full time DH, he's a liability in the field at this point (his defense has lost Marlins games this year). Great bat to ball skills and on Base obviously, but a DH who can't slug won't get much value.

Not sure what holding onto Arraez does for the Marlins. He's not a world beater, he doesn't sell tickets or put butts in seats himself.

I'm not saying the prospects they got will be great, but the idea that they just traded him just to be a worse team and/or save money isn't a serious talking point.

Prominence Problem

"Some may never live, but the crazy never die."
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2002
Blue Jay Way..
Say what you want about their history and doing this all the time, the simple fact is this Marlins team needs to be torn down and rebuilt. This team with Arraez as their 'best' player aren't going anywhere.

He is trending toward being a full time DH, he's a liability in the field at this point (his defense has lost Marlins games this year). Great bat to ball skills and on Base obviously, but a DH who can't slug won't get much value.

Not sure what holding onto Arraez does for the Marlins. He's not a world beater, he doesn't sell tickets or put butts in seats himself.

I'm not saying the prospects they got will be great, but the idea that they just traded him just to be a worse team and/or save money isn't a serious talking point.
Couldn't have said it better myself.

Reactions: Filthy Dangles

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
Gonna have to do a lot better than that, the year is 5 weeks old.
He’s a 0 win player who can’t field and his BA is dipping to the point where the singles aren’t enough to make him a productive hitter. I don’t know what you (or anyone else) is missing here, there’s no secret that Arraez is not a highly valued asset or a player that moves the needle

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002

He’s a 0 win player who can’t field and his BA is dipping to the point where the singles aren’t enough to make him a productive hitter. I don’t know what you (or anyone else) is missing here, there’s no secret that Arraez is not a highly valued asset or a player that moves the needle
I’m willing to let it play out. It’s still early in the season. The Marlins have only ever existed to be a money laundering cheapskate scourge of a franchise. There’s more evidence behind that than a batting champion 2 years running having a slow start. If he’s only a singles-hitting DH, an actually good team and manager, presuming they are that, can make that work. The 2nd place team in that division has to take risks no matter what.

Reactions: hotcabbagesoup

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
If Arraez stole bases then he'd be a real problem for opposing teams. The bat to ball skills are obviously great. He hits a good amount of doubles but he upped that to about 40+ per year instead of 30 then you'd really have something. Still, he's a good bat that should help the Padres. Wanted the Jays to get him since we don't have anyone on the team who can even hit.

Reactions: HockeyThoughts

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Sponsor
Oct 23, 2014
I’m willing to let it play out. It’s still early in the season. The Marlins have only ever existed to be a money laundering cheapskate scourge of a franchise. There’s more evidence behind that than a batting champion 2 years running having a slow start. If he’s only a singles-hitting DH, an actually good team and manager, presuming they are that, can make that work. The 2nd place team in that division has to take risks no matter what.

Minnesota traded him away after a batting title. What does keeping him do for the Marlins? People don't pay to see him play, and he might make the Marlins lose 107 games instead of 110 the next couple of years.

If you get what you think is a good deal for him, sure, trade him. The team needs to be overhauled.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad