Sam Girard Enters NHL Player Assistance program

Status
Not open for further replies.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
Hopefully not Avs fans...but after seeing that Girard hate sign in Vancouver I can't be sure of that.

Some people really irrationally hate him. Even here we have plenty.

shout-out to @GirardIsStupid
It's truly astonishing to me that anybody would send Sammy a death threat. Like, I hated watching RyJo coast around and kill offense this year, he's easily my least favorite Av of the last decade. But I wouldn't have thought in a million years to even put a comment on his Instagram saying "Hey man, you should probably try harder on the ice" to express my displeasure. To go through the effort to dig up photos of his house and put a stamp on a letter and send him a DEATH THREAT is just unfathomably shitty.

I'll always have a soft spot for Girard. Not just because I think he's an underrated player, but he was the beginning of the turnaround for the Avs D corps. He was the first guy to come in and play the quick, mobile defensive style that has become the signature of the Avs in this era. Before Makar, Toews, and Byram, 19 year old Sammy G came in and injected life into our defense. I'll always think of him as the guy who kicked off the transformation of our cobbled together group of blueline misfits into the elite defensive group the Avs are known for today.

UnkleKraker

May 31, 2007
Washington State
I didn't know where to post this so I dug this old thread but here's an interview with Sam's dad :
https://www.tvasports.ca/2024/05/03/il-joue-avec-le-sourire-il-est-heureux

Little summary is that Girard had some help from Drouin before entering NHLPA. His father says he received death threats at some point which lead to him drinking. He had letters and photos of his home as threat. Living with millions at such a young age isn't easy he says.

Sam didn't want to talk about his problems so he somehow avoided his family which could go over weeks without talking. Right now he's a happy guy again, enjoying hockey, smiling and calling his family almost every day. Also his brother Jeremy, the same brother who gave Sam his "place" at midget AAA because his parent couldn't afford both, is now sober to support his younger brother.

My english isn't perfect but the link is up there and you can probably translate the text.
I just don't get people sometimes. Death threats over a sport? Get a life.

EdAVSfan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2009
Pathetic narrative you’re pushing. You should be ashamed of yourself. Disgusting.
I’m confused by this post.

What narrative is he pushing? He posted a link with an article.

Back to the topic: yeah, it’s pretty radical that people send death threats to people they don’t know, have no interaction with, haven’t directly affected their lives, etc. Just a severe lack of emotional stability.

NOTENOUGHRYJOTHINGS

Oct 23, 2022

Back to the topic: yeah, it’s pretty radical that people send death threats to people they don’t know, have no interaction with, haven’t directly affected their lives, etc. Just a severe lack of emotional stability.
@Balthazar is trying to deflect us from uncovering that the death threats were from him all along!

• Haha
Reactions: Pokecheque

John Mandalorian

2022 Avs: The First Dance
Nov 29, 2018

Dichotomizing/making it binary. Any negative impression or lack of enthusiasm is being cast as hate. And everyone is lumped in together. It’s an attempt to stigmatize those you disagree with. And it’s schlocky.

MacKaRant

Sponsor
Jul 27, 2021
Can we lock this thread? Or at least change the title to something less scary if we're going to sit here talking about pushing Girard narratives when we should be talking about trading Rantanen this off-season?

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Dichotomizing/making it binary. Any negative impression or lack of enthusiasm is being cast as hate. And everyone is lumped in together. It’s an attempt to stigmatize those you disagree with. And it’s schlocky.

You are more nonsensical than a Midjourney-written movie.

Can we lock this thread? Or at least change the title to something less scary if we're going to sit here talking about pushing Girard narratives when we should be talking about trading Rantanen this off-season?

I agree this one should be locked. If we need a Sammy G thread then make one, but I don't like this one getting bumped.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad